Videogames!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by wixbloom, Apr 26, 2015.

1. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

A thread for g4m3 grlz, G43M 8R0S and nonbinary game people.

What are you playing?

What are you itching to get your hands on?

Wanna nerd out about your faves?

This is the place for that ;D

• Like x 2
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Been playing Majora's Mask 3D lately. It's improved the game in some areas which I like. The three day thing isn't nearly as daunting as before and now you can much more easily pick up and play it for a bit and then set it down. I do really fucking hate the changes made to how Goron Link and Zora Link control though. A lot. Goron Link's changes mess me up at times due to muscle memory. And really I don't see the necessity for the change, but then I am just very much a "HOLD THE BUTTON FOREVER" kind of person. With Zora Link its just kind of sapped out a lot of the original energy and fun of the form. The problem gets solved by lots and lots of chateau romani though I guess. Then again I was not one of the people who had trouble controlling Zora Link's swimming. At least it doesn't feel as sluggish as the Zora Armor in Twilight Princess though?

Really I'd love to see another 3D Zelda that tries its hand at the faster paced, breaching swimming of Majora's Mask. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword show to me that we can definitely handle swimming shit design wise where puzzles and fights are concerned. I just want Nintendo to figure out how to better design that with faster swimming.

So then Link can zoom out of the water to ram his head into switches for puzzles or something. Just imagine little Toon Link breaching only so he could ram his head into a switch. Complete with adorable Toon Link grunt.

• Like x 1
  3. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Though my obsessios have been Dragon Age and Life Is Strange, I took some time yesterday to play Cinders, a visual novel based on Cinderella. The writing is just superb and the art is gorgeous enough that I actually had to just stop and gape at it from time to time. And it really explores complex characters and serious dilemmas of adulthood (freedom vs. duty, choice vs. fate, pleasing others vs. being yourself etc.) and deals really well with issues of family abuse. Basically, the focus of the story is less on snatching the Prince and more on Cinderella making a contingency plan and gathering resources to escape her toxic home.

I made some weird choices and in my first playthrough Cinderella ended up being a master manipulative bitch and taking control of the manor for herself, which would be fun if it hadn't wrecked the relationship with her stepsisters which I'd really been enjoying improving. Second playthrough, she ran away from town with her friend-maybe-LI-it's-complicated, the former captain of the guard. I really wanna play again and have one traditional ending with the Prince, one in which Cinderella actually does hook up with the captain of the guard without the it's-complicated, and one in which she mends bridges with her stepsisters and doesn't get a love interest and don't-need-no-man.

4. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

Right now I'm playing a lot of the original Sonic. A couple of months ago, I had three stressful meetings in a day so I bought myself a Sega Genesis (the cheapest console in the used game store because I didn't want to overspend) and a few games.

I grew up with PS2 platformers -- Jak and Daxter trilogy, Sly Cooper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

I'm quite the fan of this little online game: http://www.kongregate.com/games/bento_smile/air-pressure
    It's a dating simulator where the girl is a metaphor for drugs. Seeing the comments where people talked about how it could technically be other things besides drugs made me realize that a lot of bad coping mechanisms provide the same feelings, which is something I'm incorporating into one of my stories.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    • Like x 2
  5. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Aw hell yeah, PS2 platformers. I loved all that stuff when I was a kid (even though I was shit at it).

I'm trying to play Dark Souls right now, but getting hampered by my dualshock being a piece of shit. :\ I'd also like to get back into playing Touhous when I've got the time, but that'll take more practice.

6. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Been playing a lot of Sil lately. aha ha ahaha *manic smile*
    Apparently my taste in video games, as in so much else, is "masochistic."

I've also had a lot of fun with Bastion and Transistor, although the latter dropped the story ball a bit right at the end. :/
    I love Cave Story, and I've played through it several times.
    And of course pokemon and Fire Emblem and Golden Sun are old favorites.

I've got a Steam, but I haven't dome much with it, so I'd be up for some game recs there.

• Like x 1
  7. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Currently playing: The Secret World. It's always TSW. Also working on finishing my DA:O playthrough so I can play 2 but half the time someone wants me to tank something in TSW or there's an event or new content coming out...its a conspiracy I swear.

8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Been grinding more Pokes in Omega Ruby. Already put a main team together but hey, no harm in training as many as possible!

I've also been playing Tomodachi Life and ACNL. And I'm stuck on a puzzle in Portal. :P

9. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

I was missing Minecraft bc my regular gaming computer is dead, and several friends convinced me to play Final Fantasy XIV, which miraculously runs on my laptop where MC doesn't?? (I think its the absurd amount of mods I like using sob)

I got really, really into it. I haven't even been playing for a month and I've made four alts to get all the story.....

10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT TALES OF THE ABYSS which I actually am playing for once, haha. for as much as I sperg about this canon you'd think I'd played through it more, no, this is only my third playthrough.

anyway please play this it's my favorite game and let me tell you about my precious clone children. Also it deals. Really intensely with trauma and depression. And almost all of it is handled really realistically (except Guy's trauma-induced phobia of women, I am so sorry, Guy).

I swear Luke stops being a brat. Eventually. Please don't hold it against him, he's actually a Precious Cinnamon Roll, I Forget The Rest of This Meme.

#Asch on the other hand #Asch #Asch no #I love you child but #Asch please no #goddamnit Asch

11. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

PILLARS OF ETERNITY

ugh.

It's inspired by the older Black Isle/Obsidian games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, and it's amazing. I'll be in my bunk if anyone else wants to cry about it with me.

12. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

To The Moon, oh my god

• Like x 1
  13. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Games I'm not playing because they're horror games and I'm kinda unable to play those because they freak me out too much, but I'm watching "let's play"s of them: Among the Sleep, which is awesomely creepy and atmospheric, and I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, which is REALLY DISTURBING and gross and triggery and I'm fascinated by it in the most horrible way.

14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oh man video games thread. prepare for a ramble.

i've played portal and portal 2 like a bajillion times, i even got out two controllers and played through the multiplayer by myself because no one in my house except me has the patience for the puzzles. it's really difficult to have to time everything just right, and having to watch two screens at once gave me such a headache, but it was so worth it. i just love that game. i really love all the secret hidey holes of rattman and the hints towards black mesa. plus all the lore and background history sprinkled around the underground parts were sooo cooooool.

speaking of black mesa, i can't really do very many fps games or horror, but i have watched a lot of play throughs and read enough fanfics to have a pretty solid grip on the world of half life as well. freeman's mind is one of my favorite youtube let's plays.

i've kept up pretty well with the borderlands series, although i haven't had the opportunity to get very far in the pre sequel. borderlands is probably the only fps i can actually play. i usually pick whoever is the sniper or sneaky type. well okay, that's a little lie. i usually go for a tank and get bored of them at around level 15 and start over. it gets really boring after a while of running into a spray of bullets and taking no damage at all, then spamming the melee button. i don't really get why everyone hates clap trap so much though. he's not THAT annoying and the DLC based around him is hilarious imo.

i'm super into pokemon, and i usually start out kinda squeamish to catch them and stuff them in a box for the sake of a complete pokedex, but the longer i play one of the games... i'll just start chucking them in there as fast as i can. i like to pretend they're being let out on the professors end, and they just have a lab eternally filled with many pokemon (comfortably, somehow). i get really attached to my teams as well, and it's stupidly hard to switch them out later if i'm really unbalanced and have to take on an especially difficult gym leader. or alternatively, if i'm tired of walking around and need a flying type. i don't usually take any of the starting flying types available in the grass around the lab, like pidgeys and whatnot, because they seem... kinda boring? whatever. i try to go through the pokedex when i can't think of anything during drawing practice. pokemon soul silver and heart gold are my favorite generations because i love seeing the pokemon follow you around. why didn't they keep that feature, it was cool.

i've watched my sister play last of us, that game is so beautiful, and the story is one of the best zombie plots i've ever seen. it hit all the cliches, but like, in a wonderful way. each character is so thought out, even the sideyist of side characters. the zombies themselves are so creative, being based around spores instead of the usual "the flu has mutated!" trope. i mean don't get me wrong they are just as unbelievable biologically as the flu based ones, but, and i know it's weird to say, they're just so beautifully designed! the way the fungi itself eventually starts growing out of the head, eventually growing to such a proportion that the hosts just fall over and start growing into the wall - it just makes you sad, especially the ones that have spores growing around gas masks. it somehow makes it extra tragic. basically 10/10 for immersion.

i used to play all the spyro games i could get my hands on, but stopped around skylanders. we played most the big titles growing up - legend of zelda, medal of honor (yes my parents let me and my younger brother play that at 7 and 8.), crash bandicoot, jak and daxter, rachet and clank, rayman, centipede (gbc edition), super mario bros, sly cooper, if it was a kids game in the late 90s to early 2000s, we probably played it. with the notable exception of any of the kirby games, for some reason.

i really love the elder scrolls series, although i've mostly only played oblivion and skyrim. the music is great and you can literally waste hours doing nothing but picking flowers and catching bugs, and no one will give a shit. both martin and uriel septim were really annoying though, sorry not sorry.

minecraft is really, really fun but i've only played unmodded, offline, and on creative cause i'm boring like that. the squids are my favorite, i like to watch them swim and feed them chickens.

i could honestly go on forever about all types of video games. please ask if you are interested.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

Have you read the short story? It's one of my favorites. I LOVE how it's a horror story where everything is explained. Most horror relies on not telling the readers the important bits, which I can't stand.

• Like x 1
  16. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@BPD anon I have not! I'm planning first to finish watching the playthrough of the video game, which I'm enjoying on its own, and if I read the tale now I'm just gonna negatively compare one with the other, which I really dislike to do when analyzing media. It's gonna take me a while to finish watching the game, though, because I'm taking it veeery slow in order not to completely destroy my spoons.

17. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

If you get the Steam version of I Have No Mouth Etc. it actually comes with a PDF of the short story--which, really, is worth the price of purchase by itself. It's in steamapps\IHNMAIMS\bonus content or something like that.

• Like x 1
  18. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@Lerxst I have I Have No Mouth downloaded in my computer already, from an abandonware site (from which I also downloaded a ton of text-based DOS games which seem like fun). I'm contemplating actually playing it instead of watching someone else do it, but I'm not entirely sure. Having the "company" of someone else's voice makes the experience actually OK instead of OH GOD NO OH GOD WHY.

• Like x 1
  19. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Pillars of Eternity, mostly. Which I quite like.

20. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Oof. Video games are one of my favourite pastimes, and unfortunately one of the first to get shot down by anhedonia. This means I've got a big long list of games I'd like to play, but haven't had the up-and-at-em to start/continue.

Some enduring favourites:
    • Minecraft (J and I often frequent the FTB modpacks)
    • Mass Effect
    • Halo (have played all console games except the revamped 2; currently working through Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike on PC. i am a lore nut and will take the iffy gameplay because STORY)
    • Portal
    • Tetris
    • Animal Crossing (specifically ACNL)
    • Submachine/pretty much anything by Mateusz Skutnik (i wrote a song inspired by him!)
    Some games I often enjoy:
    • Cook, Serve, Delicious! (surprisingly fun, but I've gotten to the grindy bits)
    • Audiosurf
    • The Sims
    • Year Walk
    • The Long Dark
    On my list of 'to play'/'to complete'
    • Dragon Age (only started Origins: I am suffering from completionism and have essentially forgotten where I was in the story -_-)
    • Assassin's Creed (watched J play bits and pieces, love the story, continually frustrated to rage-quit status with how BLOODY SLOW Altaïr walks)
    • The Secret World
    • Jazzpunk
    • Life is Strange
    • Kairo
    • Deus Ex
    • The Stanley Parable

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice