VINES TRIED TO EAT MY DICK (The MacElroys Play D&D)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by The Frood Abides, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I have managed to make it some way into Episode 2 with the help of TAZ Transcribed. I keep looking and looking at the list of story arcs, and I still find it implausible that the thing I am listening to could in fact be this other thing that everyone is excited about.

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

I got to this thread's eponymous scene in Crystal Kingdom and

idk why but it was just. deeply funny to me. like easily the funniest scene so far. Taako noping out, Taako putting more effort into pretending to help than he probably would have needed to to actually fight, making an illusory sandwich because he's so loathe to use his real one...

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  3. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Yeah, the first few episodes are very dnd 101. It picks up pretty quickly once they get past the pre-written stuff and Griffin starts writing his own story, but it definitely takes a while for them all to settle in.

4. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

it takes about 3-4 episodes before he starts writing it himself, iirc?

• Agree x 1
  5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Pretty much, yeah!
    They start out with a preexisting adventure called Lost Mine of Phandelver. Some things are changed early on, mostly names. The changes primarily start happening after Klarg's cave: after defeating Klarg, the handbook calls for a buncha side quests in and around Phandalin before moving on to Wave Echo Cave (I'm assuming Griffin cut this for length, and also because Merle being related to Gundren makes the map accessible immediately). Wave Echo Cave is very, very large, and a lot of possible encounters were skipped. Killian and the grinder were entirely created by Griffin.
    Magic Brian's name in the handbook is Nezznar (lol) and the encounter with him plays out a little differently, specifically there were originally more spiders. The gambit he plays at the end was originally part of an encounter with a doppelganger rather than with Brian himself. Also, Nundro is the remaining survivor rather than Gundren.
    After defeating Brian, we are all the way into original content!

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  6. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

headcanon: Garfield the Deals Warlock is a mercane. yes, i know that's a Pathfinder creature, not 5e. and that page says that mercanes are LN, while Garfield is CLEARLY LE, but in any intelligent race surely there's variations in alignment.

anyway now i want to introduce Garfield the dimension-hopping mercane into my own pathfinder game.

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I'm Terrified

• Agree x 7
  8. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

I love this.

• Agree x 1
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

GtDW will always be at least vaguely catlike to me. As much as I like this headcanon, I just can't get behind it.

• Agree x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

He could just be a 10 foot tall Garfield.
    [​IMG]

• Agree x 9
    • Winner x 3
  11. Enzel

Just started the Suffering Game. Thoughts...

I saw a tumblr post once where OP was like "I started listening to TAZ and I have a hard time believing this is the same thing my friends are so excited about" and then subsequent reblogs are them going "oh. OH. I understand now..." I laughed a little then but I really get it now, lmao.

With as little spoilers as possible--I think part of the issue is that it started out as a goofy comedy thing and it felt like only half the group was on board with...playing a character rather than fooling around. This may be because I roleplay myself but seeing Griffin put a lot of effort into his NPCs and then 2/3 of his players interact w them in a way that is clearly "im doing this to give my little brother/son shit on a meta level" rather than "this is a thing that is funny AND makes sense for my character to do" was...frustrating.

I feel like Crystal Kingdom was around when Magnus and Merle started feeling like actual characters rather than vessels for their players' lulz, I guess. And that's practically halfway through, so I can see why it's kinda hard to get that far if you've been drawn in by all the fanworks to begin with and have expectations.

Idc if a character is an asshole but they've gotta be an asshole in a *consistent* way, I guess.

Also the first TTAZZ answered a lot of things that were bugging me, like "Why give your character an alignment if you're not going to follow it", etc.

ok so if Magnus ripped off the cockroach mandibles and then got in the elevator, did they grow proportionally to him and leave him with giant cockroach mandibles or was he standing there holding teeny tiny bug parts in his gigantic hands? Did he mount them on his wall on a tiny plaque? I must know.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
  12. Enzel

I finally got to the finale and now I can officially Click All the Spoilers in this thread, brb

• Winner x 7
  13. Enzel

several things

>I cried at least 5 times during the finale
    >goes back and watches fan music videos and BURSTS INTO FUCKING TEARS AGAIN

Noelle... Q_Q

I freaking love when story arc specific NPCs/side characters get finale cameos it's the best kind of rush

Hurley and Sloane were great but my fav was Cassidy...........she always cracks me up.

So many Lucretia feelings. I just. really relate to characters that want so badly to do the right thing and look after people that they fuck up SO BAD ok.

Lup is amazing and I love her and I love every rendition of the scene where she fucks up Edward's shit. Almost feel a little sorry for him, but not really.

I don't know if this was intentional but I've never really seen it acknowledged in fiction that (barring like...a very small developmental chance i think) the only way you get identical twins of different genders is if one of them is trans. I thought that was kinda cool.

I got a huge Young Wizards vibe (probably unintentional but) from the scenes with Merle & John. Good shit.

I still WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THE COCKROACH MANDIBLES

Edit 1: I listened to that one Lunar Interlude w the eclipse around the time of the eclipse in North America this summer so even tho i'm sure they probably had cool sci fi shades all i could picture was everyone wearing those shitty paper eclipse glasses. including the Director.

making her slapfight with Magnus 50x funnier

Edit 2:
    My brain interpreted "YOU'RE DATING THE GRIM REAPER!?" as "I thought my boyfriend and I turning into immortal liches sustained by the power of love was the most Goth Romantic thing ever but you just HAD to one up me, didn't you??"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    • Winner x 11
  14. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

@Enzel gods the Hey Brother one gets me in the heart every single time.
    especially two scenes: Barry's tearful rage in his lab, and Lup reaching out to her brother as he forgets her
    it hurts so good

• Agree x 7
  15. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

• Winner x 5
    • Useful x 1
  16. luna

luna Active Member

I just started the ep but BOYS BE NICE TO YOUR DAD :[

• Agree x 4
  17. AbsenteeLandlady123

i love remy. what a good boy. what wonderful legs. a good good bouncy nerd boy.
    OH BOY TRAVIS'S CHARACTER
    NADIYA JONES LONELY TECH GIRL
    HELL YEAH I'M DIGGING THIS
    biochem and biotech major hell yeah this is my jam
    YO I LOVE HER

• Agree x 1
  18. AbsenteeLandlady123

YO JUSTIN IS A GOOD
    [​IMG]
    i have no idea what i think remy looks like but i love irene i love her so much i love nadiya so much

• Like x 5
  19. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Oh the track art for this transition ep is pretty

• Agree x 3
  20. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

Heck yes I'm caught up and can start posting in this thread.

I'm still having finale feels even though I listened to it two or three days ago.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice