Webcomics

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'm shocked that my favorite gag-a-day comic hasn't been mentioned at all.

Dinosaur Comics: A comic about a T-Rex, a Dromiceiomimus, and a Utahraptor, notable for using the same images for every comic with only the text changed. Utterly hilarious, and so much better than it sounds.

2. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

Have any of you read a comic this comic that takes place in a school setting. People are invited in this weird club thing which is super secretive. All the members are have chess peice titles and it's something like a fight to the death?? It was very manga-ish styled and in color I believe. I read it a while a go, but managed to lose it. I can not for the life of me remember how I found it or what it's called, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

3. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

Got another comic or two actually by the same author: Dylan Meconis
    Bite me- Wacky Vampire Comic that came out before the swill twilight series, takes place in ye old france before french revolution.
    Family Man- Mysterious things happening in Germany before it became Germany and Luther Levy just wants to know if there really is a God.

(this makes how many comics I've posted now? too many XD)

4. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

A few I can't believe haven't been mentioned:
    -Kill Six Billion Demons- Started on the MSPA fanventure forums, then restarted as a webcomic. It's about a girl named Allison who travels to a hellish otherworld named Throne. Focused mainly on the complex, interesting mythology of the universe of Throne, as well as the absolutely kickass art. Read the authors comments- usually they will have a psalm or a saying.
    -Yu+Me Dream- A depressed catholic schoolgirl meets her new next door neighbor, and a relationship blossoms. Completed. The art gets super good.
    -Meaty Yogurt-(Warning, first page kinda NSFW) The next work by the creator of Yu+Me. Jackie is a woman who lives in a town with a curse- anyone who's born there, dies there. The comic focuses mainly on her many schemes. Really enjoyable characters.
    -Agents of the Realm- A cute American magical girl story that's just staring out, about a college student named Norah who finds some gaudy jewelry and finds out she's been chosen to be an Agent. Cute characters and good art.
    -Brainchild- Another new comic, about another Allison, this one a girl moving in with her friend in a new apartment and the ghost that haunts her. Really cool art.
    -Blindsprings- A young princess lives in a fores with the Spirits that she's made a deal with, until she is ripped away by a young Academic mage. Adorable art and an intriguing story.
    -The Evil Queen- About a beautiful fairytale princess who becomes an evil queen. Gorgeous art.
    -The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal- (Complete, DEFINITELY NSFW) Amal has come out to his homophobic parents, but he still wants to go to his sister's graduation across the country. While drunk, he ends up making a deal with a guy named TJ to go on a cross country road trip from Berkeley to Providence- Amal drives, TJ pays. Great art, amazing characters, and all around just SO SO GOOD YOU GUYS.

5. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

Can't actually wrote up descriptions because I'm on mobile and it screws with my spelling but.
    Girly Comic-complete
    Helvetica- WIP
    Darths and Droids- WIP

6. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Seconding Gunnkrigg Court, Dumbing of Age and Order of the Stick!

Some others I've read at some point
    Girl Genius - A world full of steampunk mad scientists. Also fanservice for everyone

Khaos Komix - A series of stories about LGBT teens discovering their identities. Complete

Shades of A - By the same author as Khaos. Starts as a 50 Shades of Gray spoof with an asexual protagonist, kinky genderqueer best friend, and a crossdressing submissive love interest.

7. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Seconding: OotS (I've been following this comic for NINE FUCKING YEARS), Gunnerkrigg Court, and Ava's Demon. Blindsprings is also pretty good so far.

Other OotSers, I'm disappointed in you all for skipping Erfworld, since it was originally hosted on GiantITP. It's basically the same "affectionate parody of tabletop" genre, but for hex-based strategy wargames, instead of tabletop RPG. TLDR, a gamer from our world is summoned by an Ultimate Warlord spell into what appears to be the game he was preparing to run, and has to not only learn how to survive in the game world but also deal with the people in it, and all their politics, quirks, and horrible-pun names.

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i'm honestly always so surprised how many people haven't heard of:

Namesake
    i just linked to the about, it's one of those comics that automatically starts at the most recent page if you hit the home button. the worldbuilding in this comic is so insanely good, and the characters are all adorable and the art is so n i c e i could just go on and on forever. i love this webcomic. it does start a bit cliche, though. trust me, it'll get great later! a definite read for anyone in to fairy tales.

Skin Deep
    ...again it starts a bit slow, but the idea and world itself is pretty unique as far as mythological beasts go. an interesting look at "humanity" as a concept, if not a bit overly escapist at points. the main character throughout the first character arc is kind of, if not understandably, very whiny though. that doesn't really go away, so don't hang around waiting for that.

Colorquest
    just starting up, but looks promising! the site is a bit hard to navigate, i've heard the author talking about how their friend helped them set it up and they procrastinate a lot so it's kinda shit rn.

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff
    too horrible and garish to ignore.

Mahō shōjo robotto Daft Punk
    okay so TECHNICALLY this is a fan comic, not a webcomic, and also on deviantart BUT i had to include it! it's about the band daft punk fighting other bands and artists with magical transformations and i think they blow up justin bieber who is an alien or something. an alien with weird persuasion powers.

9. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Currently following, already mentioned, highly recommended:
    Awkward Zombie
    Girl Genius
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    Hark, A Vagrant
    Lackadaisy
    Questionable Content
    Something Positive
    Stand Still, Stay Silent
    xkcd

Ones you should check out:
    Chaos Life
    a queer couple who brook no shit and who have fantastic cats. life commentary.​
    Darwin Carmichael is Going to Hell
    completed! FANTASTIC romp. Darwin Carmichael, while babysitting, accidentally lets the future Dalai Lama fall out of his high chair, which causes some brain damage in the poor kid. He spends the rest of his life trying to make up for his massive karmic deficit.​
    Doghouse
    sort of xkcd-style commentary.​
    Drive
    omigosh this is such a good comic. artist is Dave Kellett (he also does Sheldon, below). sci-fi on a massive scale paired with hilarity. basic premise: a new Spanish Empire has taken over much of the galaxy ... using technology from an alien shuttle which crashed on Earth a few centuries ago. the people who the shuttle belonged to are now back, and not terribly impressed.​
    Girls with Slingshots
    don't think this has been mentioned yet? this is an occasionally-NSFW roller coaster in much the same vein as Questionable Content - twenty-somethings attempting to Figure Life Out. includes a talking cactus.​
    Guilded Age
    almost two comics in one: in Sepia World, an MMO called Kingdoms of Arkerra has taken the world by storm. in Arkerra, a handful of adventurers are heavily influencing the kingdom's events. in the basement of the company running the game, five stasis tanks are hooked into a lot of systems...​
    Kukuburi
    this has been on hiatus for a while, and I almost don't remember what it's about. i remember absurdist, surrealist art, and a deeply touching story. (perhaps this is a clue that I should reread it.)​
    Megatokyo
    one of those long-enduring comics (ten years). a couple of Americans get stuck in Japan and have to work to get home. they're ... not home yet. stuff happens. ​
    PvP
    another very long-running comic. follows the story of Player vs Player, a company originally focusing on game criticism and now moving into game development. you'll get attached to the characters real fast. trust me.​
    Real Life
    yet another long-running comic! starts out by following the college-age antics of Greg Dean and friends (including Tony the mad scientist, and their assortment of sentient technology - including a Dreamcast!), and is now into Greg's marriage (and cute kid!). Tony still shows up to take over Mars and fuck with the FBI on occasion.​
    Sheldon
    this is the other comic written by Dave Kellett (who does Drive, up there). basic premise: 10-year-old writes a program that speeds up the Internet (realistic? what?), ends up a billionaire. his grandfather, who is his guardian, is at a bit of a loss. Sheldon also creates a talking duck. this is a comic that is not to be missed. it has been running for more than ten years, and has gone through innumerable hilarious, touching, and heartbreaking strips. worth your time.​
    Templar, Arizona
    an alternate-present comic. set in Templar, Arizona. ... weird shit happens. updating sporadically right now but worth a read. and then puzzle over it.​
    That Deaf Guy
    just what it sounds like! life commentary from a deaf person. amusing and often enlightening.​
    Wasted Talent
    several years ago, an engineering student named Angela Melick decided to use her artistic talent to chronicle her life in university. she's now an actual engineer, and still keeps the comic going. she's also absolutely hilarious.​

10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

nice thanks. typos, amirite?

• Like x 1
  12. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Absolutely seconding Order of the Stick. (Other OoTS readers: I don't know if you got Blood Runs in the Family, the latest OoTS book, but I did, and in the commentary, Rich Burlew acknowledged Vaarsuvius as genderqueer. Granted, I haven't been in the OoTS tag on Tumblr much lately, so someone else may have already mentioned this, but:

"Tarquin is also symbolic of an older time when stories were likely to be more formulaic or cliched - and less diverse. It's no accident that he's a wealthy old straight white man losing his marbles over the fact that the tale he is experiencing doesn't focus on the other straight white man at the expense of the black man, the woman, the genderqueer person, and even the Latino guest star. By rejecting his insistence that he take the lead, Elan is also saying that no, it's OK for not every story to have a blond white guy in the lead. (...)

As an author who is, himself, a straight white guy, it's difficult for me to always make a statement on the experiences of other demographic groups without running the risk of talking out my ass. But I can make a statement about what I think we, the straight white men of the world, should be doing. And that's for us to recognize that it's not always about us, and that it doesn't make us weak just because someone else is the hero for a while. I'm sure the Tarquins of the real world will read this paragraph and lose their own marbles about it, but I don't see any point to writing if I can't express my own views."​

Not only is this quote as a whole pretty awesome, but before this, Vaarsuvius was basically "ambiguous gender," and the forum basically referred to V as whatever gender they thought V was (...they may well still do that, I don't hang out there much anymore.) Now, though, we have confirmation that V is genderqueer.)

Okay, now that I'm done talking about OoTS, I'm also seconding:
    -Homestuck
    -Paranatural
    -xkcd
    -Awkward Zombie
    -Erfworld (though I think I need to catch up)

Definitely seconding Darths and Droids, the premise of which is: What if Star Wars as we know it didn't exist, but instead the plot of the movies was being made up on the spot by players of a tabletop RPG? I would recommend it for any fan of Star Wars (as with Order of the Stick, the D&D / tabletop RPG aspects are relatively easy to get used to.)

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  13. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

@garden oh my god oh my god

I need blood Runs in the Family I haven't had the money/chance to buy it yet

the oots commentary gives me life

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • Like x 1
  14. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

So I just discovered Check Please. It's about a college hockey team, and it's adorable

Also, Willis fans, how many of you think Carla is going to be a canon trans girl in doa-verse too? I'm curious to see if that's a common theory (headcanon? where does the line between those even go for things like this?)

15. Petra

Petra space case

That's confirmed. Not just in the comments, but she thought someone drawing a penis on her white board was a 'hate crime', and stated so.

16. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

I didn't notice that. Thank you :)

17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I used to read this one called No Rest For the Wicked, which was like a bunch of fairy tales messed around with and put together? Really good, and really creepy. I have not read it in a while, so I should probably catch up.
    http://www.forthewicked.net/index.php

18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

aw geez how could i forget boxerhockey and bear nuts.

boxer hockey is about a fake sports team playing a fake sports game with hilarious results.

bear nuts is essentially all the care bears that shouldn't exist, trapped in a zoo. i haven't read it in forever but when i left off my favorite was prozac bear. miiight be heavily based around stereotypes, but the actual individual backstories on each bear's belly badges is actually really well thought out and less obvious than you'd think, imo.

19. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

20. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

omg I haven't read this one in while either (another one for the archive binging list), still seconding though 'cause its amazing!

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice