Webcomics

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THE MEEK UPDATED!
    #brb flipping the fuck out #:D #:D #:D

• Like x 2
  2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I just remembered, there was another webcomic I was quite fond of in my time of ecxessively bingereading webcomics - Spiky Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight.
    I should probably take a look at that one again.

3. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I LOVE THIS COMIC. Have you been reading the novels? I bought State Machine the day it came out but have not read it yet because I have a series to finish.

Um, so, series summary for anyone not familiar with it: The Federal Government and their ghost collaborators invade the privacy and/or threaten the lives of a psychic ninja, a koala linguist, and a hardworking federal agent. This causes them to become, respectively, a doctor, a talk radio host, and King Cyborg.

I also love this! It was so great - gorgeous art, great plot.

I have recently been really liking Blindsprings, which is magic, pseudo-Victorian, and has ludicrously gorgeous art. Still fairly early in plot development, shaping up to be young people and politics and royalty.

• Like x 1
  4. Nochi

Nochi small waterfall of pure void

@Chiomi I haven't, because of lack of fundage D: I really want to though.

5. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

does anyone of you remember the webcomic Cascadia?
    i do, barely, but the wayback machine doesn't have it archived completely, and the author has lost the files to a computer crash

@Bel Capricorn omg i binged varttu and rice boy today and
    right up my alley

6. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

Anybody use Piperka?

It's a website where you put in your favorite webcomics and then when you visit later, it tells you which ones have updated. It's the greatest thing for both having all the webcomics you follow in one place and knowing when those slow, infrequent updaters have updated without refreshing every day. In fact, refreshing a bunch of times and not seeing an update can sometimes give me a tiny annoyance headache, so Piperka is wonderful for solving that. The only problem is that you can't tell Piperka where you are in the middle of archive binging a webcomic and have it return you to your place later. : (

If only there were websites like that for books, TV shows, and fanfiction. I hate email updates with a passion.

7. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

@whimsicalobservant sounds familiar. I tried looking it up(very briefly) and saw familiar things, but couldn't find the comic itself.

@BPD anon I haven't, but that sounds really nice. My brains been doing poorly so I have a hard time keeping up with webcomics these days, but I'll check it out when I get on the ball again.

8. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

That's one of the things I like about Piperka -- as long as I was caught up to begin with, I can take a break from webcomics for a while and Piperka will let me pick up where I left off. It tells you how many updates have happened since you last clicked the link to go to it and returns you to the place you were before they updated.

• Like x 1
  9. K25fF

K25fF Nerdbase alpha

Huh, that sounds better than my "giant collection of Google bookmarks, organised by day of updating" strategy.

10. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I use Feedly, personally :)

11. Wiwaxia

Namesake. Namesake.

If you need me, I'll be... I'll uh.... yeah.

• Like x 2
  12. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

@Wiwaxia You too? There're three hundred eighty-seven comments on the latest page of Gunnerkrigg Court, much of it screaming. Must be a good week for dramatic comic things.

...I should probably catch up with Namesake, I haven't been reading regularly in a few months.

13. Wiwaxia

So.... does anyone here read Vibe?
    What the shit dude, indeed.

(warning: most recent update is fulla body horror and spoilers. if you wanna check it out, start at the beginning)

14. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

does anyone else read paranatural and gunnerkrigg court, or has read nimona?

• Like x 4
  15. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I HAVE READ THOSE

not caught up to gc or paranatural tho

• Like x 1
  16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

nimona is so much emotional pain aughghh

• Like x 3
  17. garden

garden lucid dreamer

I've read Nimona! I also have read Paranatural, though I'm not caught up with it. They're both very good.

• Like x 1
  18. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Finished Nimona, up to date on the other two, love 'em all.

• Like x 3
  19. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I read Twokinds when I remember to catch up on updates.

It basically involves a young magician kid with amnesia (that is slowly coming back, or maybe it all came back already, been a while since I read) and he groups up with a tiger-girl and a guy who is from a species that is still anthro but they are different from the others...somehow. (He comes from an island nation of warrior-ferrets or whatever they're called but was exiled because he was framed for killing his dad. Fun times.) The way the author works with the relationships is great, the world is incredibly interesting (The human parts of the land are run by a group called the Templar, who are Not Very Nice, and there are tribes for the anthros, including tigers, foxes, and wolves. They are commonly captured and sold as slaves for humans, and there is A Whole Heck-Ton of nasty feelings between the anthers and humans in general, which makes me light up with glee because social-things, 00h.) Anyway, the characters Do Things and Magic is involved sometimes and Love Happens and there is a trans Wolf and I can't think of a single instance that bored me. Also its been going on for more than ten years and the author does regular updates.

I'm not going to get into the plot because I'm not good at summarizing that sort of thing. Unless its my own plot.

• Like x 1
  20. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

rolls back in here to say, again, that I really love the Order of the Stick. Rich is a lot the storyteller I aspire to be, especially as, I feel, the contract between the situations of OotS and Homestuck grows. Like, I feel like Hussie has lost track of his own story; Homestuck is a whirlwind (or was) and it carried him off with it on that wild popularity ride, but now it's unfocused in theme and has lost much of what made it interesting as a narrative in a downward spiral of dramatic reveals and dumb jokes. Not even the dumb jokes we really liked, either.

And meanwhile there's OotS, this understated giant of the webcomics community, resolutely trucking along like it has for ten years. And it's... cohesive. It builds on itself, it's so much more than it was when it started, but it hasn't gotten frayed and gone all over the place. Even though we're mid-arc I'm not left questioning how any of this could become relevant later the way I am with Homestuck. The narrative of OotS builds firmly and nicely. And the characters? Maybe that's the problem, since Homestuck tends to build just enough character into *everyone* that you care when they're killed off, and Rich tends to allow us to recognize that somebody's gonna die or serve a different plot role. Homestuck's "core cast" has changed... it feels like damn near every update the last couple years. OotS has been the same six since the beginning, excepting the additions of Mr Scruffy and Blackwing to the point of being major cast.

I think some of it might be because of the more books-as-arcs style of OotS, compared to the hot mess of Homestuck's act structure, but at the same time the latter feels like a representation of all of it. I lost track of where I was going with this post, I think. I'm just really admiring of Rich's plot building.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice