Weird visualisation phenomenon?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by a tiny mushroom, Feb 28, 2015.

1. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Mild NSFW warning for a non-graphic mention of sex.

Okay, so, when I am doing emotionally intense things, I tend to get a... Okay, it's like. I'm playing a split-screen video game. On the bottom screen is reality. On the stop screen is a weird mental image/visualisation/animation thing which is somehow related to the reality situation and is almost a representation of my feelings that reality is causing me.

It tends to happen most often when I'm having sex, but it also can happen if I'm really happy or really sad or any other very extreme emotion. The latest weird mental image thing was of a cool, still blue lake surrounded by mountains covered in pine trees, with a few boats gently and quietly moving across the water. Or once, it was like a simple, child-like chalkboard style animation against a black screen of a bus travelling through a city, with lots of animated people in it doing people things.

The image things are really nice and relaxing and I love watching them alongside whatever is actually happening in reality, but I have no idea what the fuck the image things are. And it's not like I physically see the mental image, it's just... in my head, along with what is currently happening. But I see it in my mind as a split-screen type dealio. I am not explaining this very well. It is simultaneously something I am seeing and not seeing. I can see it in my mind, but I do not actually see it with my eyes. Does that make sense?

Not sure if it's just very intense visual thinking, synesthesia, or just brains being brains.

Any thoughts? Anyone experience something similar?

2. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

Does the image have any relation to the emotion/experience? Like do you see calm imagery when you are very happy/content?

3. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Yes! Like, I was feeling very happy and safe when I saw the calm lake. Or if I am excited, sometimes I will see fireworks or bright lights.

4. rorleuaisen

No expert, but it sorta sounds like synesthesia to me. I'm basing that on the assumption you aren't summoning up visuals or just having a seperate (conscious)brain process going "you know what this feels like? This picture!"

I happen to have a friend who could see auras, and I've always associated it with her having a sort of emotion reading synesthesia. So it sounds like you have something kinda similar. I am terribly obsessed with her auras btw xD

5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Yeah, it does sound something like synesthesia, that's for sure. Nowhere near the kinds I get, but it makes sense.

6. rorleuaisen

8o what kind of synesthesia do you get??

7. Morven

Tastes are music, basically. A taste experience is like a symphony with all these different parts playing, and I'll describe things in terms of higher or lower notes, of "this needs more bass", of perceiving percussion in a sense,

That's the most obvious one but in general my senses are kind of bleeding into each other.

8. rorleuaisen

Huh. So what are some of your favorite sounds/flavors? If you don't mind.

9. Morven

The deepest notes are smokes and burned flavors. Hickory smoke "sounds" like deep bass drum sounds, especially kettle-drum like. The fire-roasted burned flavor of roasted peppers, such as chipotle and the like, is more like long, reverberating notes drawn on a contrabass. Onion and garlic, when browned, are something more reminiscent of cello strings, full-bodied and rich. On the other end, really "sharp" tastes are all the way up in the treble, soaring over everything, and the symphony needs those too. Tabasco is there. Lemon. A lot of herbs are the high notes, too; lemongrass is very flute-like, for instance.

It's kind of wierd talking about it because I've so rarely mentioned it because ... I guess I feel weird about it.

• Like x 1
  10. rorleuaisen

I maaaaay really like this stuff. It makes catagorizing happiness in my brain. I actually adopted my friend's synesthesia catagories and stuff because it made people make sense. Like I have a different game plan when I interact with "yellow" people as a oppose to "red"s.

And the music-food thing is pretty cool too. I find that flavors aren't very well categorized for me? I use other sensory lingo to describe flavors, especially visual, being as I'm really comfortable with colors. Food also makes a good parallel to music, especially sauces and meals, because you want them sort of balanced like music.

Quick question: is dill a high note herb for you? I associate it as a deep flavor.

• Like x 1
  11. Morven

Dill's in the low-middle for me, like most of the flavor of rosemary.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice