Well @#$%. (Help please?)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Southe-lands, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Southe-lands

Southe-lands A Cliff in Front, a Wolf Behind.

Hey folks. Been a while, I know. I've been having a shitty couple of months. Me and the GF are not doing well and work has been a nightmare.

And then, today.

To make a long story short, I got dragged into a meeting at work today where my boss and two supervisors layed into me about work performance. I was honestly pretty surprised. I knew I had been making a few mistakes on documents here and there, but not enough to warrant a three person excoriation team.

They put me on thirty days notice. If I don't meet their standards by then I'd be fired. Given that this is probably less about my actual performace and more that a certain supervisor hates my guts, I doubt I'll be up to snuff no matter what. And of course when I asked for examples of some of the errors they mentioned there were no concrete examples. Always nice to be told I'm fucking up but not when or how. The only legitimate complaint they had was tardiness and, given that I sit in traffic for an hour and a half - one way - to get there well, I'm not sure what to do about that one.

So I gave them my two weeks notice.

And now I get to tell my parents. I don't know if I've mentioned this before but my dad has a habit of threataning to kick me out of the house whenever I fuck up. This will probably be no exception.

Yeah, I know, threatening to kick your kid out right when they need your help the most is a shitty thing to do. I'm well aware my dad is a vengeful asshole. If I could afford to live on my own in this city I would already. (And isn't that hilarious. The job that's been driving me towards a nervous breakdown pays worse than working at fucking Costco.)

Anyway. I might be getting kicked out of my home, which is my biggest concern. So if there's anyone in Houston with a spare couch or that knows a place I can crash for cheap I'd appreciate it. I've got some money stashed away so I probably won't be living under a bridge for a little while yet, but I always try to prepare for the worst, just in case.

Also if anyone needs someone with an English degree and previous paralegal work experience (but no certification) that would be cool? Actually any advice at all would be cool. Sympathy too.

(I'm being flippant but I'm honestly about two inches away from losing my shit. Been fantasizing about using my savings to buy a cheap over-under and some .00 buck and... well... you can imagine where that line of thought goes.)

2. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Jesus, dude, that blows. :/ Not giving concrete examples smells fishy, tbh, but it seems that addressing that is moot now.

Since it sounds like you're concerned about money but not in straits so dire that HR wait would make it useless, can you spam some resumes/job apps at places that hire frequently? Like fast food and such? So that if it gets tighter, you've already taken out some of the waiting.

3. Southe-lands

Yep. Shit blows.

Good news, upon explaining the situation to my parents they were suprisingly supportive and I am not being kicked out. I also have a meeting to discuss stuff with my boss in about half an hour. Although I'm still quitting, hopefully I'll be able to set the record straight on a few things.

Bad news, I'm still out of a job, and the economy in Houston is still pretty fucked and, given the recent shenanigans of our asshole in chief regarding trade, is likely to stay that way for a while. Grocery store clerk position, here I come.

Also me and the GF have officially broken up. Turns out ignoring your significant other for 24 hours during a major life crisis is a shit way to maintain a relationship. Which is, you know, fine. Whatever. Not like after two years of dating I recently told her I loved her and then couldn't get anything short of a text message out of her for a month. Not like I genuinely pictured spending the rest of my life with her. Not like my heart feels a bit like it's been torn out my chest and stomped on. Not like she didn't even apologize for any of this.

Bleh.

4. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Witnessed - either one of those situations is shitty enough on its own, but both at once is just awful.

I'm glad your parents are being supportive, at least, and hope they continue to be so. You deserve support right now.

• Like x 2
  5. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

witnessed. like Mercury said, a break-up and losing your job are two of the most stressful things a person can go through, and going through both at once is terrible. i hope you find something to tide you over soon. and i'm glad you're not getting kicked out.

• Like x 1
  6. Southe-lands

Thank you, everyone.

Meeting with the boss went pretty well. Hopefully I made her feel at least a little guilty. I'm not normally a vindictive person, but these are vindictive times.

• Like x 4
  7. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Do you know if your boss or any of the senior staff besides that one shitty supervisor likes you and has good working experience with you? It might be worth a shot (especially anyone not directly affected by the quitting) to request a letter of recommendation, to have when you go for interviews in the near future. If this is not a possibility or you do not feel comfortable asking for such a thing right now, I understand and it will not hurt you to not have this either.

Witnessed on all of this. I hope things improve for you soon.

• Like x 1
  8. Southe-lands

Hahahahaha holy shit. So word of my departure is spreading around the office now and people are coming up to me to tell me that 1, they will miss me and 2, that the above mentioned supervisor is a real shit who has way too much power. This doesn't fix anything but it makes me feel a lot better.

• Like x 5
  9. Southe-lands

So this is the first time I've broken up with someone I really, really, really cared about. And it's. Bad. Very bad. Majorly unpleasant. I keep thinking about all the fun things we did or happy times we had and realizing that I'll never do that stuff with her again. I'll never get to use the stupid nicknames we came up with for each other again. We'll never royally fuck up a meal cooking together and order takeout again. We'll never go see another musical together. We'll never go to her favorite bar and do trivia night again.

It's like a large chunk of my life was torn out of me and I can't get it back, and it WON'T FUCKING STOP HURTING.

And I'm just so damn tired and its only been a few days. I want to stop caring about this already.

10. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Dude, that really majorly sucks, like so much. Both as a thing which happens to people in general and a thing which is happening to you right now.

Also, I have felt the "I want to stop caring" thing before. It is tiresome and painful, you have my sympathies.

11. Southe-lands

Thank you.

So, day one of The Two Week's Notice. I am unable to clock in because our timesheet system is broken yet again. Also I think I might look like I want to murder someone because people are giving me a wide berth.

12. Southe-lands

Well. I guess I'm leaving a bit earlier than my boss and I had previously agreed, because now she's changing the date on me because she "spoke to the managing partner". Whatever the hell that means.

Whatever. At this point I'm pretty fucking done with this office. Hope their bad management and high employee turnover rate drive them into the ground.

• Like x 3
  13. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

What a shitshow. :(

14. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Shit dude. Witnessed.

15. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@Southe-lands sympathy, that sounds like absolute bullshit on all fronts. Do you know if your state's LLR has an employment website? My state has a huge database of different jobs that you can filter online that are often only posted there, and you don't have to go to the employment office to apply for many of them. (Some of the best jobs you do have to go in for an assessment for, though.) That's generally a really good resource to start with if you're overwhelmed/low on talking to people spoons.

Also, I have a lot of experience in helping friends touch up resumes for jobs and things if you'd like that. I understand if you don't want that kind of info in the hands of an internet stranger, though! Just offering bc my MIL does a lot of HR work in her accounting firm and my bff is training manager (and conducts a lot of interviews) for a local franchise, so I have a lot of info on what gets people's attention.

16. Southe-lands

I appreciate all the sympathy, folks.

@sirsparklepants i did not know that about the LLR database. Definetly going to take a look at that later tonight. I just filled out the forms for regaining access to my college's employment database so hopefully that's a resource I can use as well.

Yeah, gotta update the resume too. Please don't take offence but I try to keep my irl and online lives as far away from each other as is reasonably possible. Fortunately I'm pretty good at building a resume. Just need to find the spoons to actually do it and not sink back into depressiontown.

• Like x 2
  17. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

:( Witnessed, man.

18. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

No, that's totally cool, infosec is important. Just thought I'd offer. You said above you're in Houston - if that's TX looks like they do indeed have a site like I'm talking about, here http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

19. Southe-lands

Oh, awesome! Thank you for the link!

• Like x 2
  20. Southe-lands

Update: Resume has been polished, University alumni system has been signed up for, and job opportunities are being looked at.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice