What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

They always seem to turn Smaug human though! I'm all for dragon-fucking, but I am FIRMLY OPPOSED to making the dragon into a human dude for no reason (other than he was voiced by an actor the writer finds hot). JUST FUCK THE DRAGON, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

• Like x 18
  2. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

... WHY TURN SMAUG HUMAN?!?!

... Like, completely human? Cause OK I could see a shapeshifting thing maybe being hot but only if there were enough dragony traits being retained but otherwise WHY?

• Like x 13
  3. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

I admit I have not read very much Bilbo/Smaug fanfic, but from what I've seen, there is a pervasive tendency to turn Smaug into a totally human-shaped dude who just happens to look exactly like Benedict Cumberbatch. (Is that how that guy's name is spelled? How is that his real name? I mean, my name is weird, but it's not that weird.) Which I find significantly reduces the appeal.

• Like x 4
  4. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Common misconception. It's actually Bindycoot Cubesterblat.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Like x 7
  5. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

*david attenborough voice* And so, in one miraculous moment, the meme is reborn.

• Like x 14
  6. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

To be fair Smaug is one sexy dragon and they had a lot of sexual tension with Bilbo in the original book even
    i don't see it as an RPF in disguise thing I shipped that shit since I was like 10 and at that age I definitely didn't think in depth about the logistics of dragon fucking.

• Like x 9
  7. Pukjie Ainsel

Pukjie Ainsel procrastinating overthinker

Or when they tag A/B, A/C with Infidelity, or Breakup without making it clear which pairing's doomed and which one's endgame? Or if neither of them are endgame, for that matter. Not that I like reading about cheating anyway, but I would have made an exception for the rarepair OTP if I could be sure they'd be together...

• Like x 8
  8. Pukjie Ainsel

Pukjie Ainsel procrastinating overthinker

Blood doesn't smell like copper.

• Like x 9
  9. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

This one author.... they do characterization stuff that's frequently kinda off to me, sometimes pretty egregiously, but I don't usually find it game-breaking. But I was working my way through their catalog and went to check out this one innocuous teen-rated fic, and okay. This character in canon, he's kinda immature and flighty, but he's been getting by as a soldier for a while now. He's semi-canonically labeled as adhd. He doesn't take life very seriously, except for the few areas where he really does. So, a pretty normal guy. And now out of nowhere, he's getting terrified of the dark because he heard a scary story or whatever. And he's trying to persuade his crewmate, who is sooooo much more mature and sensible that he ought to be terrified of the dark too. And when the guy doesn't listen to him, the CLEAR answer is to set up guard outside his door, all night, so you can PROTECT him, even though you're SOOOOO scared of the dark that you're SHIVERING.

Like, what????? What did I just read? Even if this author's characterization is sometimes not what I would have preferred, they're usually competent. What the heck???

(for any transformers peeps, it misfire. i don't even know. apparently he is a literal child now or something)

• Like x 11
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I feel like I've read this fic, and it's very aggravating the way they characterize Misfire as a Literal Child half the time.

11. spockandawe

It also enfilade, so it's a pretty high-profile writer and odds are good you have seen it :/ I'm usually okay with their stuff, even the things I disagree with, but after that one I just feel insulted

• Like x 1
  12. Pix

Pix Active Member

Wasn't Misfire canonically afraid of "The Shimmer" or w/e? I remember something with the scavengers and urban legends

13. spockandawe

Somebody in the group was obsessed with the Necrobot, but I can't recall if that was Misfire, Flywheels, and/or a mixup in the lettering :p I don't recall then dealing with urban legends outside of that, though I could be forgetting something. But it's also literally zero exaggeration saying that in this fic he kept guard outside the door, shivering, the whole night, and it's just like... that notch too far in terms of characterization, where I don't just stop buying it, but it also starts making me upset.

• Like x 3
  14. Pix

Pix Active Member

Yeah, that seems way too passive for Misfire, I was just trying to think where the idea might've come from. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

i make this mistake all the fuckin time

• Like x 6
  16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

warnings inserted right in the middle of chapters.

like, warnings are fine before the story or at the start of chapters, but in the middle, they just really kill the mood.

• Like x 16
  17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

*deep sigh*

*vast eyerolling*

seriously?

• Like x 21
  18. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Ah yes, taking us back to the deviantArt sigs of 2005.

• Like x 9
  19. spockandawe

Your only options for adhd characterization are literal child or literal dog, sorry, I don't make the rules

• Like x 12
  20. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

upload_2017-3-5_9-42-17.png

• Like x 24
    • Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice