What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Though it is worth it for that one asshole that had to gall to post a disparaging comment on my incest fic that was very clearly tagged. You've lost all right to be upset, asshole. Now go fuck off.

i fondly remember this person

and i fucking hate them

• Like x 7
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

arthur, hater of archive warnings

• Like x 11
  3. Aondeug

I am renaming myself Arthur.

• Like x 7
  4. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

hey!
    what a wonderful kind of day!
    where you can learn to work and play
    and not put warnings on your fics

• Like x 19
  5. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I'm good with this. Although I'm probably more likely to read it if it's marked with a bunch of dead doves than if it is marked as Arthur.

• Like x 7
  6. unknownanonymous

what if both
    IMG_1070.PNG

• Like x 13
  7. Verily

Then I chuckle and spontaneously combust.

• Like x 7
  8. unknownanonymous

IMG_1071.PNG

• Like x 4
  9. Verily

Heh heh heh. *begins to burn*

• Like x 4
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Alas, what a mental image.

• Like x 5
  11. Aondeug

omfg

• Like x 3
  12. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

'Chose not to use archive warnings' is pretty much my default. I like to tag my fic with its genre, main themes, and content notes as far as 'if someone is looking for X Plot Device, this fic will probably interest them'. If there's a common trigger or upsetting concept that's a large part of the fic concept, I'll tag for that too, but if it's just one part of a particular chapter and not an ongoing thing, I'll mostly just put a general warning in the chapter notes, rather than in the work tags. Ticking the 'chose not to use archive warnings' is my way of communicating that I'm tagging mainly for organisational purposes rather than content warnings, and thus reader beware.

• Like x 6
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I appreciate that method of tagging and wish more authors would use it, especially for sexual stuff. It's so annoying when half a fic's tags are for individual sex acts that are only used in like a single scene.

• Like x 8
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

And when they spell it as "lathed"... >_<

• Like x 6
  15. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Here's a new one: characters who are pretty closed mouthed about their pasts and personal issues just casually infodumping about both of those things without any sort of hesitation. If a guy has spent his entire life running from his past and burying all information about it, he's not gonna turn around and give you his birthname, family home address, social security number, and an itemized list of all the things that hurt him the most.

• Like x 24
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

ESPECIALLY he's not going to do this on the vague promise of maybe getting his dick wet. C'mon guys, at least apply the magical healing sex before you show it having an effect.

• Like x 20
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

The Lave of Heaven

• Like x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Me @ DtB fic: "Writer. Writer. He didn't even tell the viewer that for 22 episodes. Writer he didn't even know that."

• Like x 8
  19. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

There's one fic out there that drives me up the wall, because for all that it exhaustively remembers and refers to canon (The World Ends With You), it changes one very important detail for what seems to be no reason at all? It's a weird detail because it's never really acknowledged until a really tiny bit of the post-game secret extravaganza, but it's the absolute driving motivation of the main character's entire character arc. I don't know if the author missed it (while it's a very short sequence, you have to see it to get to other parts of the postgame, parts that the author has addressed) or if the author decided that a different motivation was needed for the story (then why not add an author's note or something???) but either way this arbitrary, undiscussed deviation from canon confuses and enrages me. But also updates are so long and rare that I don't want to do anything to discourage the author, and at 250k words over the course of five years I will take literally anything they type at me.

Okay, in short, in TWEWY our protagonist, Neku Sakuraba, is kind of a shithead, in the Angsty Teenager JRPG Protagonist sort of way. He deliberately pushes away other people, wants to be left alone, and is really cranky about friendship. WAY LATER in the postgame, it is revealed that Neku had one best friend who died in a hit-and-run car accident, which Neku feels responsible for. In this massive fic, Neku had a best friend, but the best friend broke up with Neku because he was in love with Neku and couldn't deal with it and wanted cooler friends, or something??? Anyway that guy should be super dead. TWIGCOLLINS WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE THING.

• Like x 7
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I wish there was an archive warning for "author has decided to totally ignore canon plot and/or characterization to get their emotional rocks off." It's cool if you're into that but I don't want to see it

• Like x 15
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice