What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

a questionnaire is a survey, not a person who asks a lot of questions!

• Like x 16
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

In an alternate universe, he is a list of questions about how good your dining experience today was.

• Like x 12
  3. unknownanonymous

he is sans, the onceler of undertale, so that actually sounds kinda plausible :P

• Like x 11
  4. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

The things this fandom does to my favorite character, I swear...

• Like x 8
  5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

When a fic author is lovingly detailing all the foreplay and fingering and whatnot but forgets to specify that lube happened, so you're just sitting there like, "I know for a damn fact this guy wouldn't be enjoying it dry, c'mon."

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
  6. unknownanonymous

omfg a character's bed just changed from a ship to a plane in the space of two chapters

and i'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be a transformer

• Like x 4
  7. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

ao3 specific irritation- pls can there be a way to filter out fics that have more than (x) tags or maybe even (y) total letters because I GUARANTEE YOU I will not give a second glance to a fic where the tags are a wall of text unto themselves, I don't care if it's the most wonderful fic in the history of ever.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
  8. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@The Mutant oh my god yes. on a similar note i would like to be able to filter out all fics with more than... let's say 5-6 fandoms. because anything with over 6* fandoms is either a panfandom oneshot collection that probably has a bajillion tags, or a crossover that is likely either terrible or just not something i wanna read. said crossover may also have a bajillion tags.

either way i'm not interested.

*i was going to set this number lower but there are some fandoms that often have 2 or more fandom tags by default, like got/asoiaf, or mcu stuff.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 4
  9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

RE: the whole coughing up flowers thing: just came across a Reaper76 comic that has both Reaper and 76 coughing up flowers. Which makes me question: does it count as unrequited if it's a mutual pining situation? Does the disease have to know that the other party loves them back in order for it to go away?

• Like x 5
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

-The Death of Smarm

• Like x 2
  11. unknownanonymous

... so the main character of this fic turns into a skeleton, loses their genitals and becomes agender?

... okay...

• Like x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

this is why you should always pack a couple extra pairs of genitals for a trip, in case you lose some.

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 6
    • Informative x 2
  13. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

I pack a whole suitcase full of 'em, just in case. It's hell to get through airport security, though.

• Like x 8
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I would guess a good 70% of fics w/ it are mutual pining. I guess once your crush smooches you the flowers just evaporate?

• Like x 7
  15. unknownanonymous

i know that the author meant the cleaning type of dusting here, but goddammit, it's an undertale fic, so it ended up sounding like papyrus just casually killed him instead

• Like x 11
    • Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. LadyNighteyes

"dusted him off" is the phrase you wanted there, author.

• Like x 9
  17. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Well, that too, but the deathly implication remains. "brushed off the snow/mud/ash/whatever" would probably work better.

• Like x 4
  18. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

I just read a fic where the main characters kept buying things (custom-made cologne, tattoos, cars) and getting absurd discounts/free stuff because all the NPCs loved them and/or thought they were super hot. I would have accepted this had said main characters been unscrupulous dicks with mind-control powers, but they were canonically normal humans. The overall effect was that the conspicuous consumption parts of the fic were more masturbatory than the sex scenes.

• Like x 4
  19. LadyNighteyes

I'm just thinking of My Immortal. "Oh my Satan you have to buy that outfit." :::PPP

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
  20. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Right, okay, was talking about this in the Homestuckstuck chat and now I just need to vent a gripe because 90% [statistic made up] of new Homestuck fic on Ao3 rn is davekat.

And I like davekat. Or rather, I used to like davekat. Back when all the davekat fic was full of nuanced examination of their personalities and histories and how that would mix in a relationship! No one does that anymore. Now it's all "oh, they're gay, they hold hands and kiss, and sometimes one of them gets angsty and cries." Good fucking job, you've replaced these interesting characters with cardboard cut out gays. And I'm seeing some of the same shit with Vrisrezi too, and there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL MATERIAL to explore, like it's a toxic ship but god if you did it well you could rock the fuck out of that.

But no. Noooooo, everyone has stripped it down to rosemary 2.0: generic lesbians but somehow blander. What is it with queer ships being completely gutted once they become canon?

• Like x 15
    • Witnessed x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice