What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Best description of a specific badfic problem ever:

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh, the same guy who came out with that line also perfectly described my previous rant: "It's the Chandler's law of slash; when in doubt, have a homophobe come through the door."

• Winner x 6
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

illiterate

illiterate

you illiterate all the comics yourself

really

or maybe you meant "illustrate"

you illustrate all the comics yourself

• Winner x 6
    • Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 1
  4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I can't even come up with a jokey interpretation of that one.

5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Freudian slip? :::PPP

• Like x 3
  6. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Hey whats everyones least favorite fanon Malfoy for me its a tie between "is still a rich upperclass traditionalist who believes magic is superior to muggles except this time, hes exactly right now let me wank on about the noble traditions that Harry comes to appreciate" and "is now a SoftBoy™ for absolutely no reason"

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 4
  7. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Like Malfoy is a giant asshole dweebus, and making him either "totally calm, cool, and collected magical supremiscist" or "suddenly loves muggle things Wasn't An Asshole All Along" are both so annoying.

• Agree x 13
  8. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

Nah, she goes through and takes all the words out. It used to be just swearwords, but now all speechbubbles are filled with strings of "@#%*!"

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 1
  9. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

This sounds like quite a specialized type of comic strip. Shit, can you imagine a whole newspaper full of that? Bleeped out illustrations of people swearing? Also some games.

• Winner x 7
  10. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Hm it depends on the user but the one time I saw a wrong word used I commented
    "Hey nice fic my dude but hey for 'x' word I think you meant 'y' word? Anyway keep it up with the writing, *thumbs up*"

Eta: like the words were nearly similar yet quite wrong like the illiterate/ illustrate thing

Eta: haha sorry this reply i did right now is weird, the thought just popped into my head

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    • Like x 3
  11. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

I've done that. The writer used "courtesan" when they meant "courtier," and I couldn't bear not to let them know, so I left a tactful comment. They thanked me for it.

• Winner x 5
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I didn't dare comment when I saw one writer say cathouse when they meant cattery.

• Winner x 3
  13. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Yeah, I don't think it's bad form to tactfully point out typos and minor errors unless the author has asked that people not.

• Agree x 2
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I always feel bad when that's the only comment I leave, tho. I might borrow that formula, @GlassesBlu

• Like x 2
  15. LadyNighteyes

I have a friend whose tactic when she feels the need to yell at someone or correct them is to comment positively on every chapter but whatever one (first) had the mistake, though that obviously doesn't work if it's a one-shot.

• Like x 3
  16. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

That sounds... kind of passive-aggressive and unhelpful, though? I don't want to worry about whether a compliment on one chapter implies a criticism of the others, and if someone wants to communicate displeasure with my work, I'd prefer to actually know what's wrong so it's at least possible for me to fix it.

17. LadyNighteyes

No, I mean, she leaves a comment with the problem, she just makes sure to leave positive comments first so it's less likely to make people go "OH GOD SOMEONE HATES ME." Or make her worry that she's going to come across like a jerk.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  18. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Ugh I found bad self-insert second person fic in the young justice tag. Typical OP edgy OC who is way better than the team. Why would you even write fic for a fandom if you hate all the characters in it? Why not just. Be in a different fandom where you like things.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  19. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

Definitely seconding @GlassesBlu 's formula for leaving spelling/continuity mistake corrections. Speaking as someone who's gotten reviews in which the reviewer only mentions an issue, it can accidentally come off as the reviewer only being there to edit/criticize, rather than being there to enjoy the fic. Admittedly I'm coming from a few fandoms where a lot of the reviewers were kinda jerks about concrit, but even so...

Even a "thank you for writing in this fandom" helps, though that's only gonna work well for those of us in the small fandoms. (but it's a good out if you really didn't like the fic but wanna help the writer anyhow)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

omfg i just read a fic which basically used norm the genie as an one chapter deus ex machina

an one chapter deus ex machina

like, the characters literally just rubbed norm's lamp and wished for something that would help them with the actual plot

norm might as well as been timmy's fairies or the magic muffin from abracatrastrophe or anything else that can conveniently grant one wish

and like, it's great that norm was in the fic at all but... when i google "norm the genie" looking for stuff, this is not at all what i'm hoping to find - it's better than some results, admittedly, but...

why

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice