What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Even if it's in narration and not the character's POV, is it just me who finds it jarring when a description references something not fitting with the setting? An ancient Hun warrior trying to crush someone's throat "like a soda can" just doesn't work.

• Agree x 15
    • Like x 1
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

"[Character] is a 17 year old, that runs a book review blog, with a certain romance novel inthusiest." Right, if you got typos IN THE SUMMARY guess how likely I am to click on your fic.

• Agree x 11
    • Witnessed x 3
  3. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i clicked on it anyways

dear god why did i click on it

• Witnessed x 13
  4. furrylatula

THREE PARAGRAPHS IN AND [CHARACTERS] ALREADY GETTIN THEIR ASS KICKED FOR..........having messy hair??????

• Witnessed x 1
  5. Lizardlicks

Which is kind of the EXACT OPPOSITE THING [character] is known for in canon....

• Witnessed x 1
  6. furrylatula

is that about the messy hair or having their ass handed 2 them because both could be debated

also is character anonymity really necessary i found the fic in two minutes from that typo alone

• Like x 1
  7. Lizardlicks

True. It's kind of right at the top on the front page atm.

Okay, god, there are LOT of ways I would right an abusive relationship between Eridan and Dualscar.

This is so heavy handed the writer must have been typing with weighted gloves on.

(I wasn't going to fucking click it and then you said you clicked it and the TRAIN WRECK SYNDROME possessed me... God why.)

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  8. furrylatula

i choose to interpret this as dualscar pulling out a literal fucking grappling hook and just headshotting eridan

• Agree x 7
    • Winner x 6
  9. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Hey fanfic writers? Having only het pairings in a fic and having the villains be a bunch of rapists isn't. A great look.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 3
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

YOI Badfic Friend was complaining earlier about a fic that had like 5 poorly-used epithets just in the summary. Needless to say, they did not read it.

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Like. It's probably kind of shitty of me but I don't really trust fanfic writers who have zero queer ships or characters ever.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  12. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'm the same way. like, when ficwriters write only het and/or gen and have no queer characters, part of me ends up always with a vague sense of unease reading their writing, even if it's good. like, i can't just say they're homophobic 'cause they might not be but something in the way they write makes it feel like they are. it's hard to explain, but it's a thing.

part of my badfeels in one case might come from a particular one creating lots of xenobiological/xenoromance (not really sexual ones) headcanons and managing to never talk about queerness/queer romance/queer characters in that universe ever. like, in their world, it feels as though you're either het or aro/ace or not there at all.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

The Don't Starve fandom is one of those tiny fandoms that has One Good Writer. In this case the writer is very good, her characterization lines up perfectly with my headcanons, her worldbuilding is stellar, but she only ever writes het or gen and never talks about queer headcanons ever at all that I've seen (and I lowkey stalk her blog because she is the One Good Writer so I probably would have seen it) and it makes me uncomfortable. I think part of it might be that she's aro with no strong internal shipfeels so she took the main canon-ish het couple and ran with them until they became her otp, which is understandable I guess, but eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh

• Witnessed x 3
  14. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i feel you so hard. at the moment, the only pretty two or so good/productive writers writing for the fairly oddparents fandom are both this kind of het/gen writer, and just yeah... fairly oddparents is an old fandom so it has had many good writers before them that don't just do het and gen but the current fic scene is very much dominated by het and gen.

and yeah, the one i was talking about before is aro too and doesn't really have shipfeels. they are generally chill with the canon het ships and create oc het ships to be characters' parents and stuff, but they generally don't have shipfeels and they generally think romance is pretty dumb. and so they basically never look at queer ships 'cause queer ships never feel necessary to them and never come pre-prepared in their fandoms either. and yeah, eeeeeeeeehhhhhh....

• Witnessed x 2
  15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I think it kiiiinda depends on the fandom tbh? Like, I've definitely seen fandoms where none of the queer ships were compelling enough for me to give a damn about. (And I'm really uncomfortable with the whole "not having queer ships makes you homophobic" thing, because tbh I actually DO have fandoms where I don't really have any queer ships?)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    • Agree x 8
    • Like x 3
  16. furrylatula

i just really cannot connect emotionally to a lot of het shit so if someone pretty much Only writes m/f (especially if its written.........Like ThatTM) im not going to be remotely interested

• Agree x 1
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I feel kinda guilty about it, but there's some fandoms i have where i just CANNOT get into the main queer ships cause the characters just. never interact and i have no idea why they're being shipped.

• Agree x 5
  18. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It's pretty fandom dependent for me. There's some where the big het ship is so well done (or there's so few characters that it's like... the only thing) that I will happily roll in het ships all day. And then there's some fandoms where there's three or four pretty decently sized queer ships that have all kinds of different dynamics and... the authors in question very carefully make sure to create a cast of Certified Straight Original Characters just to make sure there's none of that gay shit clogging up the background of their Main Het Pairing fic.

I'm not gonna say those authors are definitely homophobic or anything, but it does end up feeling vaguely hostile to me. But there's a lot of Babies Ever After fic that feels vaguely hostile to me too, so it's not like I'm a master of divining intent by any means.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 3
  19. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

If someone writes a lot of gen it doesn't really bother me, because gen fic is pretty rare in the first place. If people are more exclusively into platonic relationships I'm like... that's rare, I'm about it. ...but when they write only straight pairings I get a different feeling...

That said, I can think of some fandoms that are really only conducive to m/f pairings because of the way the creators have laid things out. But most of the fandoms I'm thinking of are obscure-ish.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  20. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

I will say, also, that sometimes I think people who really dig female characters will focus on het ships. A lot of this is a product of a lot of fiction lacking strong f/f bonds in the first place but hm, I think that's a legit thing that happens sometimes. I've definitely seen a few writers who this is true for.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice