What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

jernau gurgeh from the player of games is literally the greatest game player in the culture and better at azad than some people who has been playing it all their lives, but that doesn't make him a sue either. 'cause, well, he needs to be that good for the plot to happen and being that good doesn't stop him from getting hurt or making mistakes or going through emotional turmoil.

and i, myself, personally play norm the genie in the weirdmaggedon tango and he's pretty powerful and could be a sue if i got too enamoured with his phenomenal cosmic power and cT didn't also try to restrict what he can do. as it is, though, he experiences conflict and makes mistakes and goes through emotional turmoil and his powers don't solve the entire plot. thus, though he could be a sue, i think that has been mostly avoided.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

The Culture doesn't count, the entire civilization is a Mary-Suetopia. :p
    is joke pls no hit

3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The prequels, however godawful the dialogue and characterization might have been, massively expanded the world of Star Wars, and anything you want to say about anything before ANH requires that you accept a whole lot of things the prequels introduced. I think it's reasonable to say "I think this thing from the prequels was stupid and I choose to ignore it," but that's not something to take to a canon fight, and if you try to say "WELL EVERYONE SHOULD IGNORE IT BECAUSE IT'S FROM THE PREQUELS" then you better not have an opinion on the structure or behavior of the Jedi Order.

• Agree x 4
  4. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

As I said, entirely fuck that noise. And especially from the sorts who refuse to accept anything Disney puts out as really real Star Wars. The prequels were George Lucas's babies, that's fucking peak really real Star Wars. Star Wars ain't just the stuff you goddamned personally approve of, it's all the other fucking bullshit too.

• Agree x 5
  5. LadyNighteyes

Or if you want to pick and choose what you acknowledge because you think large parts of it are garbage, then just do that and admit you're doing that and don't be a jerk to people who like other bits.

• Agree x 6
  6. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

ifyousayso.png
    THIS IS SOME ZAYN FROM ONE DIRECTION HEART TRANSPLANT NONSENSE

• Witnessed x 12
    • Winner x 2
  7. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

What the hell

• Agree x 4
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

That's just creepy.

9. peripheral

I'm morbidly curious but no

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Thing relevant to this thread:
    https://www.blackgate.com/2011/08/03/teaching-fantasy-ii-in-which-i-knowingly-assign-the-worst-short-story-in-the-history-of-sword-and-sorcery/

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 2
  11. peripheral

Ed gee is the best student at hogwarts. Maybe that's why no one understands him. He used to be fang, a doggo. (If you don't laugh at this joak then you're not ready to become part of my potatoe rawrmy xD).
    Ed gee hates everyone. (He hates everyone because their not like my potota rawrmy xD). He puts in his incredibly expensive beats black like his sol in his illuminated elvish ears and crys while drowning out the plebs with his favourite band evanescence. Hes spunky and miserable and the hottest guy in school ❤️❤️.

What happens when you lock students in a dining hall for multiple hours.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

13. LadyNighteyes

Literal pet peeve: YOI Badfic Friend is perpetually annoyed at fanfic writers forgetting the dogs. Despite the fact that the main two being enormously soppy dog people is a major driving plot force in canon on several occasions.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

Hey, fandom? When the source material gives you a character who is canonically hypersexual due to trauma, turning around and writing that character as the archetypal fragile victim who is terrified of sex and has massive freakouts if touched sexually…is not a good look on a number of levels.

• Agree x 10
    • Witnessed x 7
  15. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Petition to ban fanfic writers from ever using babytalk ever again. Four year olds don't talk like this, guys.

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 7
  16. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i thought that was some really fucked up southern accent at first holy hell

• Agree x 13
  17. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

CHILDREN DO NOT TALK LIKE THIS AAAUGH

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 5
  18. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

It's like an unholy combination of ridiculous not-quite-babytalk and a bad cold

• Agree x 8
  19. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I thought bad Scottish at first.

• Agree x 5
  20. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Which reminds me.
    “Iryuka, Iryuka, do you know what Shashuke did? Shashuke, you know, he put his wee-wee where Naryuho does his poopie, and then it went kyuu kyuu, and then lots of milk came out going all dorodoro, and then Naryuho went ouchie! Fuwaaaaan—"

• Witnessed x 5
    • Informative x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice