What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I know someone who does fic commissions, but through Tumblr. They post the finished commissions on AO3 but IIRC they don't mention anything other than "this was a commission" on AO3 itself, which is a way to comply with the TOS.

• Informative x 2
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I think even saying that can get it taken down IF it get's reported though.

• Informative x 2
  3. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I double-checked the TOS and as far as I can tell, you're fine if you aren't promoting the commissions on the Archive. Or, at least, the TOS doesn't directly forbid the posting of works which were paid for in another setting on the Archive, so if they do ever tell someone to take a work down under those circumstances, that person would actually be able to argue.

TBH I'm not that big into the idea of fanfic commissions but I thought I knew what the TOS said and I wanted to double-check.

• Informative x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My habit of latching onto obscure things. I want a monster AU with R Chetwynd-Hayes' Monster Club beasties. Plenty of characters would make an awesome shadmock.

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

today's gripe is more of a problem i have than an actual problem this fic has but i'm gonna gripe anyways:

i like angst and darkfic when it has a happy ending / hope at the end. and i've been following this one fic for months and months, and it's really good and 285k words so far and it updates like clockwork twice a week, but. there's only so much mental & emotional abuse i can watch the protag go through before i just start yearning for any hope and wondering whether he'll be happy at the end at all.

this is why i stopped reading Flowey Is Not a Good Life Coach, because it hurt my heart too much to watch papyrus be hurt and abused this much. (FINALGC is really good tho from what i recall! and since it's finished now i may go give it another shot at some point)

but i don't want to stop reading this current fic because it's so good. (also there has been significant hope for multiple characters in recent chapters, just not so much the protag.)

like i said i don't think the problem is with the fic writer (it's a v good fic), it's with me, but it's impeding my enjoyment of this good fic and i wanted to complain

• Witnessed x 15
    • Agree x 1
  6. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

God if I never have to read, "That's what you were so worried about telling me? I thought it was something serious!" Like if it wasn't every. Single. Fluffy coming out fic I wouldn't mind it so much but! To a lot of people it's pretty fucking serious! Maybe some of us don't want people to be so dismissive when we are confiding in them something that we're nervous about!
    Also just I know a lot of people have mentioned this but god I hate it when all the characters have All The Tumblr Language and up to date knowledge and the Correct Progressive Perspective, but fuck I hate it the most when its the straight and/or cis character the other is coming out to/ talking about gender and sexuality feels with benevolently gifts the other person with the right label and self knowledge. Like, "Oh, you're just asexual? I thought you thought I was disgusting! Now I'm ok!"

• Agree x 19
    • Witnessed x 2
  7. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Especially in historical settings where no one would know or use that terminology.

• Agree x 17
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Not exactly a gripe because people can write whatever they want, but I'm slightly baffled by the fact that in a fandom small enough to have like five smutficcers total, over half of them write scat. What is a gripe is that I'm sorely tempted to write some other niche thing like necrophilia to see how they react and I'm kind of squicking myself.

• Witnessed x 10
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

...Well, if there are any niche things you're into you could go for that...

• Agree x 6
  10. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

thats pretty reasonable statistics-wise

yr sample is fucking tiny so yr results are skewed to all hell

• Agree x 5
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if there was something about the fandom which attracts them.

• Like x 3
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

There are, but considering the content of the original work, guro isn't niche here.

• Informative x 3
  13. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

maybe the smutficcers are all friends with each other or got in the fandom the same way or something.

• Agree x 3
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't know. I haven't seen them interact.

Speaking of one of them; yes, I totally believe that society's homophobia would be totally overhauled on the spot because one guy, no matter how famous and popular, announced he had gay sex WITH HIS SON. Yep.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    • Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  15. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

okay what the fuck

• Agree x 9
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Also the correct response to finding out your underage son is gay is not to, to put it frankly, manipulate him into fucking you. I don't care if he didn't question it and seemed happy, the setup meant that if he was written with more than the IQ of a brick he would have felt he had to in order to qualify as an official warrior, and he fucking should have questioned it!

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 3
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is with ficcers and not noticing they've put characters in situations where consent is both meaningless and unrealistic. A slave can't properly consent to sex with the slaver, and in circumstances where the slaver has been physically violent to them, starved them, and threatened them at swordpoint, there is no reason they would suddenly want to!

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 2
  18. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

When hurt/comfort fic jumps right into sexytimes while a character still has open wounds or some other kind of severe physical ailment. I mean, I love me some guro, but if that's not your intention… (It's not even just smutfics that do this, I read one that made a big deal out of Character A's head injuries and then had Character B start playing with A's hair right after cleaning the blood off him. D'oh.)

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Awgh, yes, that would kind of crash the story pretty quick. And now I'm remembering that terrible Gundam Wing ficcer who liked to torture Duo, and one of her fics ended with him dying from his partner inexplicably managing to sever his artery by buttsex with neither of them noticing.

• Winner x 9
    • Informative x 2
  20. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Y u do dis to Duo. Dammit, he was my favorite.

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice