What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Guess and I'll tell ya if you're right. Which you probably are. :P

2. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

@Acey was it battlestuck?

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. Acey

No, that one just fills me with a WHITE-HOT RAGE HOLY SHIT.

(I was talking about Herding Cats, for the record. Everyone in the old local Homestuck group was OBSESSED with that one even though it...wasn't that good.)

• Witnessed x 1
  4. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

am i gonna regret asking what the hell is battlestuck

• Like x 1
  5. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

@emythos it's a Battle Royale crossover that started off interesting and then got really weird and ooc, and had a really unsatisfying ending. It's kind of a shame because Battle Royale crossovers are a great premise and it's the only one I've seen someone write for any fandom.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

ugh, that sounds awful :(

• Agree x 1
  7. Acey

Battlestuck has the dubious honor of being the only fic to ever make me actively angry at it. Like, I barely ever get angry at media, but if it had been a physical book I'm pretty sure I would've thrown it across the room at some point.

Also, Damara rapes Rufioh before killing him. Like, I'm not gonna say Damara isn't a creepy bitch in canon, because she absolutely is, but "makes lewd comments to piss people off" is not the same as "would literally rape someone."

(and tbh if you're gonna make one of the dancestors a rapist i feel like cronus or aranea would be way more plausible)

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 2
  8. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i don't even care about how terrible this summary is right now, because for fuck's sake if kazuichi has no relevant role don't goddamn tag him! you shouldn't just tag every character who shows up for 3 seconds! gahhhhhhh

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 3
  9. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

And in other gripes:

Ships in which the main attraction is that the characters canonically hate each other, rendered into loving, schmoopy, toothless Twu Wuv with no transition period or acknowledgment of the canon dynamic.

I mean. Why, even?

... I guess I can imagine a certain catharsis value if that's your bag, but dammit, some of us are here to see the assholes make each other bleed. The schmoop must be EARNED, gdi!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    • Agree x 23
    • Like x 1
  10. vegacoyote

(Lookin at you, Klance and Reylo.)

(... most recently, anyways.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    • Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

Add in Shendak. Some of the fics are straight up noncon, but then you get these AUs where it's pure, inexplicable fluff.

There is no developing relationship or anything. Just one thing or the other. It is very annoying.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  12. Acey

I feel like if I saw a Jaspis fic like that I'd probably die.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

• Winner x 16
    • Witnessed x 2
  14. Acey

On the one hand, fuck you for making me read that, but on the other hand, thank you for making me read that, because it may have made my night.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  15. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm an anti now

• Witnessed x 7
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'd actually say that keith and lance don't totally hate each other. they just fight a lot. which is a different thing. a related thing, though, and i get your point about fics ignoring that aspect of their dynamic. i just felt the need to nitpick that bit.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  17. Acey

Also, important question, @spockandawe: is the shapeshifter in question Amethyst? ;)

• Winner x 1
  18. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

If it is, then she sounds like she she's been reading Pearl's stash of romance novels.

• Agree x 5
  19. vegacoyote

@unknownanonymous Oh, yeah, actually I agree pretty much, and their in-show dynamic of late has been trending strongly towards mutual respect, but that's been a result of character development we've actually SEEN in the show. But the summary that recently hit me in the toothache for them went like "Lance has been madly in love with his best friend Keith since childhood," and it was just like. What?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Witnessed x 6
    • Agree x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

While I know plenty of people like being called crude and offensive things during sex, it really strikes me as something you have to bring up before you start calling them that. Not negotiating that kind of kink is heading for a bite to the dick, IMO.

• Agree x 21
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice