What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

IIRC it's mostly psychological? It happens, but there's not much physical addiction stuff, from what I've read. So it'd be pretty boring to read a hurt/comfort or whump fic about compared to something where the addiction is both psychological AND physical. :P

Also, petty comment gripe: people saying "please continue!" on fics that are clearly marked as one-shots or complete.

• Agree x 6
  2. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I agree! I hope that was clear.

• Like x 1
  3. cleverThylacine

If there's actual published evidence that people who have used weed for a long time go through physiological withdrawal because their bodies no longer make the neurotransmitters that weed is replacing (and those people weren't already running deficient on endocannabinoids and using the weed as medicine), I'd honestly be interested in that.

But people who are psychologically dependent on something tend to get "clean" and then find another thing to be psychologically dependent on until they fix their psychological issue, while people who just happen to be fat get told they're "food addicts". (People can be psychologically dependent on food, but not everyone who is fat is in this situation. And 100% of people will die if they don't eat for a long enough period of time.)

It's a different sort of problem than, say, a person who is given opioids for pain from an injury not being able to stop taking them after the injury heals because the brain isn't making endorphins now. (People who take opioids for chronic pain are another issue entirely; of course they still need medicine, they still have pain!)

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  4. Birdy

Birdy so long

ummmmmm source? /joke

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. Acey

I feel like the Breatharians would object to this assessment.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I started becoming aware of research about physical dependence with cannabinoids around 2009ish I think. It was probably going on before that, that's just when I started seeing it. Here's an article that cites and links to various related research papers under the "cannabis use disorder" section: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4446186/#!po=20.3226 It makes the whole topic sound rather more alarming than I think is necessary, but it isn't intended to be a guide to whether this drug is right for any particular person. Many drugs can create dependencies, and that's just something to take into account when weighing the net benefits.

• Informative x 2
  7. cleverThylacine

That's interesting! Thank you. :)

ETA: I definitely don't think that synthetic cannabinoids are an especially brilliant idea given that people don't know what they do, although I suppose the same thing could also be said of all the stuff Sasha Shulgin did. But Sasha Shulgin wasn't spraying his stuff on herbal blends and selling it to college kids as a legal weed alternative either...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Agree x 2
  8. Acey

Synthetic cannabinoids are actually pretty potentially dangerous from what I've heard, and I had a really bad trip on them when I was 20 or so. Never again.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
  9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

• Informative x 5
    • Useful x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Can characters in the process of fucking not talk about sex with the kind of words a ten-year-old would use? Please?

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 5
    • Winner x 1
  11. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

:excalibur:

• Agree x 3
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

*E.L. James voice* "Down there!"

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. cleverThylacine

well what do you expect from someone who thinks Edward Cullen was an actual dominant?

(Bella always gets her way. ALWAYS.)

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. Acey

I only ever read the first Twilight novel, and was never anywhere near invested enough to write fic about it, and I still completely agree.

(Related dumb peeve: people thinking Lapis is a sub. No. Lapis is 100% dom forever.)

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  15. Verily

Human girls dominating vampire guys is like my One Het Thing.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. cleverThylacine

and that is one of many reasons I really do like Twilight.

• Like x 2
  17. Verily

I was *all* about LJ Smith as a teenager. I still love her books, no lie.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I am now legally mandated to, once again, post that one quote from For Your Eyes Only.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Like x 1
  19. cleverThylacine

I wish I hadn't wondered what I missed in that James Bond book and clicked.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I hate it, I hate it so much, I'm offended down to my soul

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice