What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Why isn't there a 'how dare you' rating

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Birdy

Birdy so long

I first read for your eyes only when I was maybe 14

I think it altered me

• Witnessed x 8
  3. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

What even is that supposed to be?

The only things I know of titled that are: 1) a James Bond book; 2) a James Bond movie; 3) the theme song for the aforementioned movie.

This appears to be some sort of anime fanfic with egregious misuse of Japanese by someone who doesn't even understand the very basics of how Japanese works. Plus if you're illiterate enough to use that kind of language for body parts chances are not good you actually know more than one language, so the bilingual baby talk is even worse!

4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's a notorious Naruto fanfic that was basically a horrifying, horrifying precursor to petstuck and a/b/o.

• Informative x 5
  5. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

It's a Naruto fanfic where the kiddos are those half furries you get in anime where they have the ears and the tails and shit, and also hermaphrodites, but like weirdly with buttginas I think? And they're the pets of the adult characters and something something breeding, something something Sakura is an ugly slut who deserves to be killed for having a crush on MY SASUKE.

• Informative x 5
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  6. Birdy

Birdy so long

For Your Eyes Only is an...atrociously bad Naruto fanfiction, and by fanfiction, I mean it's the names of those characters stapled onto the author's most feverish fantasies.

It's like a precursor to A/B/O except made up of only the worst and most revolting parts of that genre

I refuse to describe this THING in full, so you can read about it yourself on the PPC wiki and on this TV Tropes clone

• Informative x 5
  7. cleverThylacine

OMG WHY.

I've never seen Naruto and nothing I have ever heard about the fandom yet has made me think I should.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. Birdy

Birdy so long

the earliest arc, land of waves, is breddy gud and features the son haku

Hey, it was a lot of people's Very First Anime and for a long time it was effectively the only game in town, are you surprised the fandom is a complete wasteland?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Wait wait wait. So if I'm reading that trope page right, that quote with all the third person talking about 'naryuho', that was Naruto talking about himself?

• Witnessed x 2
  10. Birdy

Birdy so long

yep, the thing wearing Naruto's face and name expresses itself in incredibly creepy baby talk. Note that all of the other "pets" talk normally

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  11. cleverThylacine

Well no, except that I'm actually in a lot of fandoms that are of shows that are aimed at kids...and they don't seem to get nearly that terrifying. SU fandom is that terrifying, but for different reasons entirely.

• Agree x 2
  12. cleverThylacine

somehow I MISSED THAT even after reading the trope page.

OMG.

• Witnessed x 3
  13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

And as it turns out, according to the PPC wiki, it's plagiarized from a doujinshi.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
  14. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

what the fuck is all i can say

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  15. cleverThylacine

There are legitimately shitty doujinshi out there but that did surprise me.

• Agree x 1
  16. Birdy

Birdy so long

I'd say it's because Naruto has been around for quite a long time (manga started publishing in 1999), and because a lot of people came of age with it, so people's first forays into "lemons" were in that fandom, plus it hit peak popularity alongside the whole seme/uke nightmare, plus the most important relationship in the story is a ridiculously intense rivalry/friendship/emotionally charged disaster between two boys, one of whom is considered the most attractive and popular character and the other being the protagonist.

So a lot of awful, awful yaoi has been written over the years, and in the grand tradition of the internet, the most horrible examples have bubbled to the top and become what the show is remembered for.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 3
  17. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

And Baby's First Fandom =/= kid's show fandom. Most of the people I've seen who got into SU were well past the BFF phase, because they're already gotten that through with either anime in the older crowd or Homestuck in the younger crowd. That plus FF.N being one of the first easy to get to multi-fandom fic congregators means that it's got a lot of the really old, bad shit, and it was big enough and varied enough that the bad shit could get some traction when it couldn't on smaller fic sites.

There's a fair load of dogshit fic on AO3 too, but it's got the benefit of coming in with lots of really well-written authors to show everyone the ropes too. There were good fic authors back in the 00's too, but it was a learning time for a lot of people who were just now getting a chance to post their works to a broader scale.

See also: deviantArt and some of the godawful shit that came out of there.

• Agree x 6
    • Informative x 3
  18. cleverThylacine

Yeah, no, I've been in fandom since the 90s. Online fandom that is. I bought my first zines in like 1978.

It's just that Sailor Moon, Harry Potter, Gravity Falls, etc, are often Baby's First Fandom because the intended audience is just discovering fandom. Though that doesn't make them necessarily bad at it. There were a lot of excellent early-teens authors in HP fandom back in the day. HP fandom is the fandom in which I had the eeptastic experience of discovering that one of the people I was RPing a pairing with in a rather smutty RP was 15 and hadn't bothered to tell us. Let me tell you, the writing did NOT give it away.

That's why I wondered what it is about Naruto, because there's a couple of fandoms that do have good fic writers, but have a reputation for having especially bad badfic.

I hear a lot of similar things about Avatar fandom, but most of that's about shipwank.

Anyhow, that snippet completely freaked me out. I was under the impression that the dialogue snippet behind the spoiler was from a toddler who had observed people in flagrante and was trying to tell their parent/older sibling about the Bad Thing they saw.

• Witnessed x 4
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I used to go over to my friend's house and we'd watch Naruto in her basement on her laptop. This was before it was even available in the U.S. in any official form, and the method of acquiring it was quite esoteric. It involved both reading all the social rules for IRC and never talking to another living soul on IRC.

She'd already seen it and knew where to skip through all the flashbacks in the first season, so that helped. It was a really good time, I enjoyed the show a lot, and it actually taught me quite a few Japanese words. I don't know why the fandom is how it is, I was never part of it.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

This speaks to me on a deeply personal level

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice