What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It's been a couple years since my last rewatch, but I'm pretty sure they cut those, yeah.

• Informative x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

No i knew it was blatant in the original, I just thought they'd do a better job hiding the gay.

• Agree x 2
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I don't recall that happening in the dub, but my memory of the dub past season 1 is pretty sparse. My memory of the Japanese is far better at this point despite my nostalgic fondness for the dub.

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

Nah Sailor Moon is pretty blatant about its queerness typically. Like ridiculously out there with it. They can't do too much save like change names or cut scenes all over the place.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I don't think it's possible without shortening several episodes massively and/or removing some of them.

I'm not surprised. I remember thinking "Gross, Haruka," at the time, and I don't think that's a particularly big loss. But the BRAD thing jfc!!!

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. Aondeug

Honestly I find the dub hilarious because it comes off as them trying to very badly hide it and either no one believes them or they're super dense.

• Agree x 7
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. cleverThylacine

I think I've seen maybe ten episodes of dubbed Sailor Moon. It freaks me out too much because I saw the original first.

I did feel sorry for the person who thought Zoisite being a girl was a great sign of equality.

• Witnessed x 4
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I've seen it said before that the Sailor Moon dub didn't so much change them from girlfriends to cousins as change them from lesbians to incestuous lesbians. :::PPP

• Agree x 14
  9. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of that one fic I heard of where the author was, apparently, confused about what lube exactly was.
    This led to a character walking in on two characters "doing lube" to each other.

• Winner x 8
    • Witnessed x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I remember that one!

• Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Y'know what's really sad about FYEO? If it was presented as intentional nightmare fuel and the characters were less hate-able and idiotic I would have loved the shit out of it. Come to think of it, I'd also have been entertained by parts of certain Redwall fics if some fixing took place. Hey, she remembered some of my favourite characters existed, even if she mixed their names up, and unlike many ficcers she was working off the books and not the crappy cartoon.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Agree x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have problems with putting into words why exactly you think some writing is bad? Just the narrative voice feels poorly-done but you can't quite put your finger on why?

• Agree x 9
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Nvm, I've put my finger on why. The descriptions are fucking awkward, the acts are repetitive, and there's too much telling and not enough showing. I mean, really. "He stuck his right hand inside her". Just like that?

• Informative x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I've always assumed people go to college to specialize in being able to tell you why writing is bad (or good), and the rest of us shouldn't feel too poorly about not being able to articulate it well.

• Like x 4
  15. cleverThylacine

Yeah this isn't an 18+ thread so I won't give examples of how to write it, but sticking your entire hand into another person is not something you do 'just like that' unless you're a surgeon and they're on the operating table....

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. Aondeug

don't kinkshame them ct

17. Birdy

Birdy so long

maybe he's a ghost and he's demonstrating his ability to phase through matter

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. cleverThylacine

pfft this is safety ok? lol. bad writing, bad safety, I don't think this is a link exactly ;p

19. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i think aon was using "kinkshame" jokingly there

• Agree x 1
  20. Aondeug

Jokingly, yes. Like as sarcastic omg you're kinkshaming people with surgical kinks.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice