What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. KingdomByTheSea

KingdomByTheSea Well-Known Member

It's a horrible reason to get engaged, and I can't help but imagine them 5 or so years from now, both regretting the whole "getting married just so we could bang" thing but too guilty to break up.

• Agree x 4
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Half-Joking "Who's your daddy/Who's your mommy" were both in How I Met Your Mother and Two And A Half Men, both of which are incredibly mainstream so....

• Informative x 2
  3. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

There are references to calling one's sexual partner Daddy going back until certainly the 1920s if not earlier

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
  4. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

• Informative x 2
  5. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

That's actually very common in certain fundamentalist Christian mindsets, though. Sorry. The Duggar girls didn't even kiss until they were married.

Having grown up in the Bible Belt, what I find confusing is that masturbation is not okay, orgasms are not okay unless you're married, but the gay is just fine as long as you're gonna get married? That's not usually the way that mindset works, although it would be slightly less obnoxious if it were.

Also...referring to one's partner as "daddy", "mama", "baby", "papi", "oppa", and other familial terms is apparently both universal and has been around since forever. I really don't like it, but it's not unique to people with an official daddy roleplaying kink.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. KingdomByTheSea

KingdomByTheSea Well-Known Member

@cryptoThelematrix it's definitely a thing IRL, but conservative Christianity and fluffy fic don't often mix, haha. (Presumably the authors thought gayngst would be less fluffy/enjoyable than orgasm angst)

ETA: *orgasm* angst, holy shit, not organ angst

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  7. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Yeah I think BOTH instances are being fueled by "daddy" being propelled into meme status about a year or so back. A few months after that is when I started seeing both anti CG/L and instances of casually dropping Daddy in otherwise vanilla smut fic. Like it was a joke and then suddenly everyone took it completely seriously???

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 3
  8. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

One, 'mate'. I get that when you've got aliens being alien-married, you may have a limited selection of nouns to choose from. And I do get that having an actual word for transformers-married is a very recent development. And this isn't any single person being awful or anything, I don't object to any single story where I've seen this, it's just the... cumulative effect of widespread fanon that's killing me. Because every time someone refers to their mate, my brain immediately jumps to a cartoonish Australian accent, and WHOOPS DID YOU WANT A ROMANTIC ATMOSPHERE SORRY IT'S GONE NOW.

But additional :[ for use of 'mate' in These Games We Play (usually a story i ADORE) where there is one (1) use for mate in the story, and it's clearly being used just to dance around who Optimus Prime was robot married to before he died, so you don't have to name names, you can just say he died defending his ~mate~. I assume that's meant to be his husband, but for all I know it could be mate in the sense of his bff.

And additionally, frickin epithets. Bane of my existence. But I'd especially like to flop on the floor and throw a baby tantrum for having each and every character call the person they're in love with, just... 'love'. In their head? In dialogue? As a form of address? Referring to their multiple partners as their 'loves'? All of the above?? CONSTANTLY?? It's not as irritating as some of the overwrought sugar-sweet pet names I've seen, but it sure is... something when it's the cold, detached character who has lots of very strong emotions except nobody knows it because he is unhealthy levels of shut down and unexpressive.

Calling people love. On the very positive end of the spectrum: Jazz insincerely calling Soundwave 'love' to be a little shit and to fight for breathing room to process his own emotions. On the opposite end of the love spectrum: Prowl punctuating every other goshdarn sentence with love love love love LOVE. For no apparent reason. It's just How He Communicates. So natural and fitting. It's so.... nooooooooooooo.......... I can't think of any Prowl where that kind of casually intense emotional openness fits. Prowl is an asshole and finding authors who love on him through the assholery isn't easy, so I was excited, but 1) this isn't an asshole, and 2) this isn't Prowl :/

• Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 1
  9. IvyLB

noooooooo prowl is the kind of guy who would insist on using someone's full title and twenty fucking first names twenty years into the marriage.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

'DJ Jazzy Jeff McAutobot..... you know that I..... value you very greatly. I hope you are aware that you are an important part of my life, and I find the time we spend together very pleasant, and I hope we will have the opportunity to continue on this way in the future. It would mean... a great deal to me to continue enjoying your companionship--'

'Prowl we have been married for multiple centuries'

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

oh no prowl is captain holt married to jake peralta

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 3
  12. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

So it turns out my favorite genre on the planet is, apparently, 'character travels back in time to fix awful canon give Sakura the character arc she deserved save the future'. For better or worse Naruto turns into such a mess in the latter half that I am basically drowning in these fics from dissatisfied readers. My one major complaint is that if you're screwing around with Time Travel, the plot should be spinning wildly out if control. Like come on, I've read thirty nearly identical versions of the Chuunin Exams by now, shake it up a little!

(Again, this one is probably on me for reading a single genre in a single fandom but I knows what I likes and *shrug*)

((Also while I'm down here, I've seen people call Sakura a 'rosette' which is literally already a real word that means something else, but still less viscerally offense to me than 'pinkette'))

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 4
  13. Birdy

Birdy so long

You can't talk if you're fucking INTUBATED, oh my god

• Witnessed x 15
    • Agree x 4
  14. IvyLB

NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE

• Winner x 13
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  15. Birdy

Birdy so long

I'VE BEEN INTUBATED YOU REALLY REALLY CAN'T AND IT WASN'T FOR LACK OF TRYING (yes i know it's joke)

Also BEING INTUBATED IS NOT THE SAME AS A FEEDING TUBE. The only reason they'd put a tube down your throats in the hospital is if they need you on mechanical ventilation. If you're in the hospital for a couple weeks and they need you on a feeding tube, it will be a nasogastric. Hospitals also REALLY REALLY DO NOT want to intubate you because guess what it fucks up your throat and gives you a great chance at getting nasty drug-resistant hospital pneumonia. As soon as you can breathe on your own that tube is coming out.

Also, if someone flatlines you cannot defibrillate them.

Also, you actually can let someone with a concussion sleep, you just have to check later on that they can be woken up and they're coherent. (Okay I don't actually begrudge people this one because it's such a common myth but like. google is a thing.)

Also if someone is in late-stage hypothermia and starts exhibiting paradoxical undressing, that person is essentially already dead.

Also you can't KILL YOURSELF BY HOLDING YOUR BREATH YOU WILL PASS OUT AND THEN START BREATHING AGAIN HOLY SHIT.

...what I'm getting at is that medical shit in fanfiction is cancelled forever. /joke

• Witnessed x 15
    • Agree x 4
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Depending on the sitch, they may give you a PICC line instead to provide nutrition. A PICC line goes through a vein in the arm to the vena cava and is used for a variety of things, including total parenteral nutrition (where they give you all the nutrition junk you need directly into the bloodstream). TPN is useful when nutrition can't be gotten through the usual digestive means. Also used for administering various medications/blood transfusions/to draw blood for testing. Gives you heart palpitations, tho, and there's a risk of infection, so you have to keep the site super protected and clean and be very careful when changing nutrition bags.

/end derail, sorry, it's a topic i'm interested in

• Informative x 6
  17. Birdy

Birdy so long

/continue derail

I actually had a central line placed once! It was for pressors though.

Why do you never see central venous catheters in fiction?
    What's more dramatic than having a tube threaded all the way up to your heart? (Well, the superior vena cava, but that's pretty damn close)

/end derail 2 electric boogaloo

• Informative x 3
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

So a while ago I read this fic, and it is so good in every way but now I have a problem because as far as I can discover that is the only well-characterized spideypool fic that exists. I didn't give a shit about this pairing before this fic and now I'm in love with it but there is nothing but OOC fluffy garbage.

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 1
  19. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i have no naruto knowledge but i also love the time travel fixit genre! (both the traditional time travel fixit and what tvtropes calls Peggy Sue, ie. character is able to go back and relive their life with the knowledge they gained from going thru the story the first time around.)

most of my experience with it is in the HP fandom, and unfortunately a fair amount of them fall into the trap of not changing enough of the plot, as you said. it seems to be a common pitfall.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  20. Birdy

Birdy so long

Ah, I just remembered, TV Tropes calls that The Stations of the Canon*

Naruto is the topmost example under anime. Harry Potter is the topmost example under books (lmao literature)

*(yes I know tvtropes has Problems, that doesn't change the fact that I still have half the site memorized from more innocent days)

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice