What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

No Japanese person has ever said "watashi wa" as much as Japanese 101 students do.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

When I took Japanese in college we tried to get our teachers to teach us slang. They would not, beyond like, the abbreviated term for MacDonalds. Moreover, two of the teachers were Osakan and they were completely unwilling to teach us anything about how to speak in their dialect. Formal Japanese class is where you go to learn very basic, very standard Japanese, and that's about it.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I just read a single paragraph with eight separate character dialogues happening. As in, switches between characters seven times.

HOW.

And one of the sentences in that paragraph is a word for word repeat of the previous sentence. I can't tell if this is the character not getting an answer and repeating the question, or its just a typo. This is a 527 word fic. What is even happening right now.

(also the entire thing is center justified)

(also, tagged f/m/m/m/m but it's just SATURATED with feeling of the dICKS CAN'T TOUCH, GUYS)

(also one breeding female is supposed to save the entire race. ok.png)

(this whole thing feels like the people talking about the wonder woman movie and saying that umm of course she was a virgin when she met steve, because there are only women on themyscira, obviously)

Actually you know what

why

• Witnessed x 17
    • Winner x 1
  4. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

…if she's a virgin how do they even know she's "incredibly fertile"? :psyduck:

• Agree x 11
  5. spockandawe

We're at seven virgin births and counting! Crazy how that keeps happening without anything to get her knocked up, amiright?

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 7
    • Agree x 1
  6. shmeed

shmeed plant me

one time i was reading longfic and it was good
    i got halfway through and recced it to a friend
    continued reading and the next chapter had untagged dubcon

• Witnessed x 17
  7. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Some sort of... screening? Artificial insemination? Or aforementioned parthenogenesis?

• Useful x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Generally untagged shit. In a Harry Potter fic, you can expect to dursleys to be asswipes. (Though it is helpful to tag anyway so people can know if those parts are gonna show up at all) It is not just expected for Malfoy´s parents to be physically abusive and needs to be tagged. -glares at fic-

• Witnessed x 12
  9. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Wait, Narcissa "I will destroy you and everything you've built even if you are Voldemort him-fucking-self if you touch my son" Malfoy, abusive...? (Ok, it depends on who she's abusive to. Lucius Malfoy is a dick tho.)

• Agree x 2
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

In fairness, she isn´t actively, but she does let it happen. She´s pretty spot on, and I have no gripe with the writing. (In the end of the fic she pulls a move very similar to her end of series move to save Draco)

11. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Like, I could potentially see them being emotionally abusive in that fucked up 'I want what's best for you but I have really unhealthy ideas about what that is' kind of way, I guess?

• Agree x 8
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

To be completely fair to that fic with the one breeding female saving the species...it has happened. Chatham Island black robins. At one point there were only five birds left and four of them were male.

Now there's 250 of them across two islands, thanks to an intensive breeding program involving fostering the eggs to another species.

ETA: clarification.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    • Informative x 4
  13. spockandawe

Oh, especially with robots where the biology is whatever you want it to be, I'd be willing to buy it! But like, augh, this fic. I hate it, but I'm kind of super fascinated. Transformers, because who is surprised. According to the summary, for some past sin or something, men and women mechs and femmes were separated onto different planets and have had no contact? No contact is implied, I think. And it's been that way for ages and ages.

(sidebar: I know mechs and femmes is legacy fandom terminology, and it's probably been around longer than I have, but I haaaaaate)

But I guess some dudes went out to capture a lady? And despite there being a planet of ladies, who would PROBABLY be interested in procreation and preserving the species if you're going to be boring and insist on sexual dimorphism, they brought back one (1) breeding female, who is the most beautiful, most fertile, and of course most virginal robot that you've ever done seen.

Plus the tone is all over the place where the king guy who set this all in motion, he wants to pamper her and lavish attention on her. But that paragraph with the seven voice shifts is him trying to be like 'did anyone feed her? did ANYONE bother to feed her???' And the tags suggest gangbang, which is indulgent and wonderful, I am a fan, but if the whole point of this is preserving the species, you're...... wasting your efforts........... guys..................... there's a whole planet of viable breeding partners.........................

Also, this is a bayverse fic. Which I didn't process until just now. Lemme just hand you an example of a beautiful bayverse lady. This actually makes me hate the fic a little less, because at least aliens and alien standards of beauty, that's cool stuff. But I still hate the fic a lot, and I'm pretty sure the author is just visualizing the easy-on-the-eyes eighties cartoon version of the character.

[​IMG]

• Witnessed x 8
  14. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i've said before and i'll say it again: why is it so hard for people to put spaces between their paragraphs. why is comprehending that this makes it awful to read so difficult for people??

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 6
  15. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Pulling out of my Naruto haze for a moment, what's the weirdest crossover you've seen? The weirdest crossover that worked?

I've found an author, a strange, lovely character, who has gifted us with a Top Gear / Wallace and Gromit crossover. This was some years after his Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Wallace and Gromit fic, and both are better than they probably have any right to be.

• Winner x 3
  16. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

There was a Clancyverse/Battletech crossover that was pretty good. That one's... well, it tangentally makes sense, but it's still kind of out there. They wanted Battlemechs vs modern earth. But not just... any modern earth. It had to specifically be the Tom Clancy timeline...

17. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  18. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Agreed! On the other appendage, fics that have like, FIVE PLUS spaces between each and every paragraph/dialogue change (which are often VERY SHORT in these types of fics) really rustle my jimmies. So much additional hassle and scrolling and for what? So your fic looks artificially longer?

• Witnessed x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  19. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I love weird crossovers too much so I just posted a bunch of the weirdest good ones I know of in the Fanfic Recs thread.

• Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

It might be fucky formatting? I've had similar issues with paragraph breaks on AO3 while pasting in my fic from Google Docs.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice