What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

tfw a really great fanfic goes from 120 chapters of space epic ft good, well thought out canon divergence to babies ever after in under half a chapter (meanwhile leaving the whole "saving the universe" thing just floating)

i might be a lil salty that my fav character was casually mentioned to have died off screen immediately before the sudden tone shift

e. actually u kno wat i'm super salty about it

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Witnessed x 22
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Ouch! Abrupt tonal shifts are never good, in any direction.

• Agree x 3
  3. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I'm just going to expand that to griping about "babies ever after" in general.

Ah, yes, House and Wilson would be excellent parents. Totally.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 1
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

No!

• Agree x 5
  5. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Thanks for the lulz, I needed those.

• Agree x 1
  6. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

Oh, dear gods no. The 'Babies happily ever after' trope is not what I read House/Wilson fanfiction for.

• Agree x 6
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's been a while since I posted an offering from YOI Badfic Friend:

• Informative x 18
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

someone turned off his Smell Generator, which clearly is connected to his heart or something, and must be constantly working because Eau de Yuuri apparently just fuckin fades into the air in 000.1 seconds and must be Constantly emitted

Either that or his lack of Personal Smell(tm) was the cause of death. He accidentally used too much deodorant and just instantly perished

• Informative x 7
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  9. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

I stink, therefore I am?

• Winner x 12
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  10. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

The latest plot twist of a fic I'm reading has Prince! John and Prince! Jake planning on rescuing slave! hostage! Prince! Dave and helping him get back home to his kingdom because their father is maybe planning on doing something horrifically public and humiliating to hostage! Dave as a message telling King! Dirk to back off.

The problem here is that the max humiliating thing has already been done with no build up and no fan fare and without any of the emotion that should have been in the darn scene.

A few chapters previously in this story, there was a ritual that John was supposed to take part in where he represents the arriving season overcoming the departing season in a very sexually dominating manner. Somehow a number of things happens, and Dave gets substituted for the departing season. And while the writer did seem to be aware of the symbolism of one country submitting to another country they did not seem to be aware of the deadly, deadly DEADLY insult that was just dealt.

Nor do they seem to be aware that the max humiliating thing has already occurred, or at least, wasn't acknowledged as having been the max humiliating thing (because it should have been from a political stand point and both John and Dave should have been aware of it, even if both were drugged by ritual smoke. there should have been fucking ANGER afterward goddamn it, even if this is a slave falls in love with master fic.) If there had just been a call back to the ritual, some acknowledgement of the public political humiliation aspect of the ritual I'd be fine, but there wasn't, so I'm not.

Also Dave's emotional reactions during POV is flat as a board as if that's his actual emotional reaction to anything, which it bloody well isn't which is another reason why I'm only skimming this story.

Also also, I am sighing over the writer's mythoi-creation. Just. It feels like the writer is not really thinking about the metaphysical mechanics and is just throwing shit together and it feels sloppy. Combine that with none of the royal characters taking their ritual responsibilities seriously and I want to punch things.

• Witnessed x 9
  11. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'll admit that I do love the occasional kidfic (for the right ship), but good fucking lord, so much of it is crap. x_x

...I'm also now reminded of the time I saw fluffy PearlRose kidfic where Greg was literally just the sperm donor. I didn't even click it but it filled me with unspeakable rage on so many goddamn levels.

How the fuck do you get it that wrong, anyway? HAVE THESE PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCHED THE SHOW???? WHERE IS THE FIC THAT SHOWS THIS SHIP AS THE BEAUTIFUL GARBAGE HEAP IT IS???????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    • Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 1
  12. cleverThylacine

Because dead people STOP smelling in magical fairy ABO land right?

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
  13. cleverThylacine

Yeah, it's that right ship thing that's the challenge.

House and Wilson are really not the right ship. That ship is in another harbour.

• Agree x 1
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

http://guardians-song.livejournal.com/308283.html

I can't help but feel Jessie/James would work slightly better in that trope if the roles were genderflipped and Jessie was the cynical bastard taking care of childlike incompetent James. Not very MUCH better, mind you, though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    • Agree x 1
  15. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

i'm so confused by everything about this.

like, if your characters have been through hell together and come out the other side because they held on to each other... that is not a good basis for a relationship??

also the benchmark of a good protagonist is if a random other character barely expanded on in the source material could... kill the bad guy faster than them? if they don't flip out and do a murder on the regular they're not good?

• Agree x 7
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I think Twilight would have been a vastly different book if Edward had been an intended villain for Bella to blow to smithereens, too. Sort of like how Steven Universe would be a different show if Steven Had A Knife.

• Agree x 8
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The implication is that if the female character brings nothing to the table but "needs protecting" and the male character is a jerk, it's not a good ship. Characters go through horrible shit together all the time and they're not obliged to hook up with everyone who went through it with them or every fictional character would be poly (which would not be a bad thing IMO but that's a different issue). And the murdering people isn't the point, it's the responding to a situation rather than standing around gawping and waiting for men to save them.

• Agree x 1
  18. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It's probably a pretty bad test if it cheerfully and willingly misses the point of what 'competence' is, then. Bella has her failures, but 'standing and gawping' isn't one of them, from my recollection. Hell, a non-insignificant part of the first book is the Cullens going 'Bella, please sit down and stop pro-actively doing things, Bella, Bella you are A Fragile Human, Bella do not go confront the vampires by yourself, Bella you're in the hospital now, B e l l a p l e a s e.'

I don't disagree with the highlighting of the issue they're trying to point out. But their methodology is kind of shit, and their examples are too.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I'm not super familiar with YA literature/paranormal romance but given how it's aimed at angsty teenage girls, I'd think having dim bulb lady protagonists wouldn't be a super popular trend. I think those types of books tend to favor, yunno, the kinda characters bookish girls would wanna be like.

Also, charming is relative, and I for one liked absolutely dick all about Grindelwald. I liked Aberforth a lot, but entirely when he was old and purportedly fucked goats.

• Agree x 1
  20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

As someone who has read paranormal romance, yes they do. Not ot say those books can´t have problems with internalized sexism, but emptyheaded sexy lamp protagoinist are generally not those problems. Though it is also to be noted that YA covers a ridiculus amount of ground, not all YA books are even romance at all. Nor is all Paranormal romance YA. Nor is all paranormal romance the same as all other paranormal romance.

• Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice