What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Quoth Satire Knight's review of The Eye of Argon, re the sentence "A gasping gurgle from the soldier's writing mouth as he tumbled to the golden sand at his feet, and wormed agonizingly in his death bed":
    I can't remember the actual sentence, but I recently read a pretty dark and disturbing fic which forgot a verb in one sentence, and my brain automatically filled it in with "frolicked".

Also the bottom guy in that reaction pic I shared earlier looks like a fat Hitler.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Winner x 6
  2. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

There's this one person who tags their fics LGBTQ+ Themes, and I have read a couple of them, and goddamn if it ain't just bog standard dude kisses happening. I feel like LGBTQ+ Themes implies a narrative about being queer, not just. Here's a story wherein two queers kiss, and if you swapped one of the pronouns out for "she" the narrative would still make perfect sense.

Also, they tag that same "LGBTQ+ Themes" stuff as "Boys Kissing" and "Boys Love" which. Annoys me.

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 4
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

LGBT theme is more like...Imp musing about the simularities between mermaids and trans people and what this radical transformation means. And having that conflict of transformation, hiding from the world, and being viewed as a monster being key to the story, if not necessarily its plot. Imp having a girlfriend who is trans isn't by itself a theme though. That's got to mean something. Something needs to be explored or said about it.

• Agree x 9
  4. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I've only dipped my toes into Voltron so far, but I am both baffled and vaguely disappointed by the apparent lack of Takashi Shirogane/Bucky Barnes fic. It probably writes itself.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  5. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

I have a mighty need for chatlog fics that aren’t just full of tumblr-esque sj with a thin veneer of fluff and relationship drama over the top. Particularly when they purport to be ensemble fics but the author just excludes the characters they don’t like by exaggerating said characters’ negative traits up to eleven so thy can have an excuse for the characters they do like to shut them out of the group. Particularly I’m thinking of this one bnha fic where Izuku of all people cheerfully goes along with the plan. One would think he would think twice about something that seems to have been used on him in the past, even if he wasn’t the purest of cinnamon rolls. :/

• Agree x 11
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

THANK YOU HOLY SHIT

• Agree x 6
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The thing that drives me crazy about practically every fic I see anywhere that includes characters texting, chatting, or posting on the internet is how often everyone types like a teenager on Tumblr. Like, no, someone in their twenties who doesn't use social media is not going to write like that.

• Agree x 14
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

That, and so often there's no differentiation between how the characters type? Everyone has a different way of talking, and that usually transfers over to text-based communication in some way!

...Then again, lack of distinct character voices is a peeve of mine too, even though I'm convinced I'm kinda guilty of it myself? But a lot of the time it feels like people aren't even trying there.

• Agree x 14
  9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm just kind of. You'd think Homestuck would have taught people how much you can say about a character through how they use punctuation and capitalization, even if other aspects of voice are hard.

• Agree x 19
  10. garden

garden lucid dreamer

oh my god
    all of this

i keep clicking on group chat fic cause i want that online conversation stuff that i loved in homestuck.

but all i get is. shitty memes. and bland characterization

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 2
  11. Aondeug

Genyatta still not being understood as actually having a potentially creepy dynamic due to the power imbalance between the two and the nature of those relationships in real life. It's like me dating my Catholic priest, is about as close I can get to explaining why I personally can't read it without feeling ergh. I'm fine with the ship existing. I just wish more people understood the sorts of relationships students had with their achaans/sensei/whatever other term we're using for it today. Because either it isn't viewed as weird, or someone does point it out as weird and not quite get at the actual point of why it's kind of weird.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Hm yeah ur right! I honestly have not thought of it that way before mostly perhaps because I guess I don't have much experience with Master-Student ships

so I guess

Lemme think about how my brain used to interpret it and I'll get back to this subject?

• Like x 1
  13. Aondeug

I only think about it that way because I've had a teacher like that for eight years now. So it is just a weird thing that happens to hit my one specific weird point. It's kind of funny really because I normally don't mind ships like that.

And alright. If you'd like I could share what I know about those sorts of relationships in Buddhism? Though most of it will be coming from my lived experience with Thai Theravada Buddhism.

• Informative x 1
  14. Nobody's Home

That would be neat :U tho I guess not for this thread

15. Aondeug

Maybe PMs or something then? Or a vent thread? If you're comfortable with that.

16. Nobody's Home

17. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Conversely, there's a lot of lost potential kink exploration with that ship for the exact same reason.

• Agree x 4
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I adore reading dark fiction, and I do not mind fictional snuff scenes as long as nobody real is getting hurt. I do not enjoy having it suddenly sprung on me. That was not a pleasant surprise.

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 4
  19. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

Look, I know summaries are hard, okay. But I really think we can all do better than this:
    blob.png
    Yes, there is a stray period at the beginning. Yes, there is at least one whole word missing. No, I don't know how anyone could think this was acceptable.

• Witnessed x 6
    • Agree x 2
  20. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

"the boy with verdigris eyes" ...Honey it's okay. You can say "he". I promise.

• Agree x 11
    • Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice