What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

more of a pitch hue imo, but definitely not anthracite.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Also... Please don't use sound effects in your smut.
    Especially not:
    With the moaning, it just sounds like someone's getting murdered.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

That just makes me imagine one of the characters involved having a roommate in the next room over holding a pillow over their head to muffle the noise and regretting the life choices that led them here.

• Agree x 5
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I can't believe I just had to read that with my own two eye-balls.

• Agree x 10
  5. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

[​IMG]

• Agree x 8
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Smut as narrated by Autobot Warpath.

• Winner x 5
  7. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Oh, also I found back another quote from it. This is someone "shrieking with pleasure".
    Yeah, definitely getting murdered. But to be fair that is supposed to be some kind of anthro animal, so.

• Witnessed x 9
  8. LadyNighteyes

• Winner x 14
    • Agree x 4
  9. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Those sound effects make me think of those Skate or Die 3 videos where players clip violently into like benches and lamp posts a bazillion times a second. So it just plays the "colliding with something" sound a whole bunch

• Like x 4
  10. JVS

JVS Member

Whyyyy is it that the kink I want to read about with the character I want to read experiencing it only shows up in fics featuring pairings I really don't like?

• Witnessed x 11
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

A fanfic gush instead; in fics involving abusive or unfit parents, I'm always pleased when the kid is queer and the parent is not homophobic/transphobic, or at least not overtly so, on top of what they already do. The other things can be bad enough on their own and being progressive doesn't always mean being nice. Like, Bro Strider's toxic masculinity issue was bad enough without going outright Westboro Baptist on Dave. And Todoroki Enji being more angry about his son being involved with All Might's protege than that protege being male? Yeah, that's a thing I like.

• Agree x 17
    • Like x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Speaking of, I want fic where Bro or someone appears and is a terrible parent on so many levels but it's clear they're not actually trying to be an asshole. Plenty of authority figures fucked me up without being actively malicious and the implication that someone has to be pure evil to be an awful parent is pretty dangerous - how many people didn't try to get out of abusive situations because they felt that the abuser genuinely loving them meant it wasn't dangerous? And I know I would be a horrible parent without going out of my way to hurt the kid, I just can't handle kids in my space all the time.

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 2
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

On a slightly different note, the sheer impossibility of forming a coherent family tree in an AU where the cast can't all be clones of each other. Like, is Bro going to be Dave's actual brother or his father or what and what the hell are they supposed to call each other?

• Agree x 4
  14. LadyNighteyes

I wrote a fic a couple years ago about an abusive character who genuinely loves his victim and has no conception that he's ruining their life, and it was so much fun to write.

(I was extrapolating from the canon dynamic, but.)

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bizarre, complicated AUs of which only one chapter was ever posted and the author never got round to explaining what the hell was going on.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 3
  16. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

"...her chest rising and falling with her breasts"

As opposed to without? (I think it was supposed to be 'breath/breathing' or 'breaths' but now I'm picturing "fuck my jiggle mod broke and everything BUT the boobs move)

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I like Dead Dove as much as anyone, but, dear author, if you don't like a ship, you don't have to turn one half of it into a psychopathic creep to justify not liking it. If you do want to do so, why the hell would you pick the half who in canon is the most laid-back and submissive and it has been argued that he's the one being mistreated by the other? Seriously, Rufioh Nitram does not make a good yandere without some kind of explanation!

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  18. Lizardlicks

Now I need to know who is the other person in the pairing...

19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Horuss. Admittedly Horuss does have a known tendency to do what other people say at his own cost (stay smiling "even when it hurts #such as all the time"), but yeah.

20. Lizardlicks

Yeaaaah. One person is super avoidant and the other is just a people pleaser. Not good yandere martial in either of them there.

Cronus, Kankri, Damara, Meenah... Lots of other good characters you could reasonably stretch to fit that role!

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice