What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Ok but is the script format done correctly at least. It being centered gives me hope that it might be formatted properly and wouldn't drive me batty.

2. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Exactly! At the very least, they coulda put it in prose or something. There's value in that, seeing a visual story adapted into a fundamentally different medium, that coulda justified hitting all the exact same notes of a scene but this time it's better because it's yours or whatever the fuck. It was a fucking script, tho. You can't just. Repeat the dialogue of a scene and be like "yes, but this is better now, I am fixing this story right up!" Fix the parts that need fixing, and we'll all just assume that everything else was fine.

• Agree x 2
  3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I honestly don't know how scripts work well enough to tell you! Text was centered. Uhh, I think in scripts, names are capitalized or something? Like important shit gets allcaps-ed? That wasn't a thing.

4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

So what did they actually change?

5. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Specific wording, mostly. Like they went home after watching the film and tried to write a transcript from memory.

It is supposedly chapter one of a full rewrite, so I dunno what they're planning on changing, actually, and don't intend to find out.

• Witnessed x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Baffling thing I just saw. Homestuck already has dozens and dozens of characters and most of them are clones of each other already. Why would you need to split the characters we have into yet more people? Just say you're making OCs, since that's effectively what's happening! I don't even know what they were going for but their tag was "Condesce is now 3 people" and what we got was some excess characters with confusing names and no distinguishing traits to tell which was which or who they'd even been split off from in the first place.

• Witnessed x 2
  7. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Condensce being three people could be really interesting politically, if it was like "she's always been three people sharing the role" (how would that work with fuchsias? are the other two violetbloods? Is the heiress/empress There Can Be Only One system really as necessary as the narrative claims?), but it should definitely also be tagged as OCs.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It would also really help if the three people in question had distinguishable character traits and some kind of proper introduction so the reader could tell who the fuck all these random people are. This is kind of making me think of a Gorillaz OC I saw once who was Stuart Pot's twin brother and was also named Stuart, the writer apparently not realising that 2D is not the poor guy's legal name.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Someone's written a fanfic involving competing for a trophy and titled it "Two Friends, One Cup".

Who's going to tell them

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 1
  10. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

That has to be on purpose.

• Agree x 6
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The sporker who pointed me to it claims they're pretty sure it isn't; if that's true, I'm guessing the writer heard the name as a meme and didn't look up what it meant.

• Witnessed x 1
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yuri On Ice Badfic Friend has an update:

• Witnessed x 8
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  13. Aondeug

.......ok then.

• Agree x 1
  14. LadyNighteyes

UPDATE: The ~Inner Omega~ is pronoun'd "she" despite the character being male, and gives multi-paragraph expository infodumps about a/b/o setting mechanics. We have definitely passed completely out of metaphor territory and into "alien symbiote."

• Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 1
  15. LadyNighteyes

2X UPDATE COMBO:

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  16. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

How much 50 Shades did this author even read???

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 1
  17. Aondeug

What if it's a Yu-Gi-Oh! like situation and he's possessed by the spirit of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh who happens to be a woman and also him in a past life.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  18. LadyNighteyes

Man, this fic seems to contain an astonishing number of different things worthy of this thread:

• Informative x 8
    • Useful x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

14 inches where, tho.

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  20. LadyNighteyes

UPDATE: We are rapidly coming to the conclusion that this fic is the fic every anti is reading that causes them to proclaim that three-year age gaps and teenager/teenager ships are incredibly creepy. Bonus:

• Witnessed x 14
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice