What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

:)

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

;-;

why have you caused me so much suffering lately

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i feed off it, naturally

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

5. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

It makes me think of kittens, or of Talassani kits. Also not sexy.

• Informative x 1
  6. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I use those words, but I use them to describe how the thing the person is saying actually sounds. If it is not a good description of that, don't use it, this is not...rocket science.

• Agree x 5
  7. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I've used the word "mewl" in smut scenes, I think? But always in the context of 'this is a high-pitched, sort of whimpery sound that's a little bit helpless and is probably getting made because this character is too overwhelmed to even words'. And even then, if a character who's usually riding the lower register for vocal timbre is making that sort of sound, it's something noteworthy - in the same way them hitting a high note that's rattling glass would be. (And, usually, I'm only using it because I just scanned over the past couple of paragraphs I wrote and am going "I need to use something besides 'whimper', that's not looking like a word any more".)

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

This is mostly my fault but I'm still gonna gripe about it: I CAN'T FIND GOOD FIC OF THE SPECIFIC FEEL I WANT AND LIFE IS SUFFERING

• Witnessed x 17
    • Agree x 1
  9. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

There was a trend for a while in Homestuck fic to replace all the sexy noises with chip/warble/keen and I was Not A Fan. I'm a birdwatcher! If I think bird sounds are sexy I'm pretty sure I get kicked out of the OFO.

• Witnessed x 6
    • Like x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Great, now I'm imagining a troll opening their mouth during sexytimes and then just

• Winner x 9
  11. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

YES THIS IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM

• Witnessed x 8
  12. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

fic is tagged 'slow burn'

fic is marked complete at 8k words.

that's not... what i came to this tag for...............

• Witnessed x 18
    • Agree x 2
  13. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

In most shounen series fanfic, the shounen protagonist gets boiled down and stripped of individuality to make them 'generic life healer saviour partner'.

Don't get me wrong, I adore h/c and fics about healing etc. I am just so tired of one character being flawed and one character being the utterly perfect being crafted to help them. I feel like in h/c fics, there should be more honest mistakes made by people helping. I know it's wish fulfillment, but it makes it a bit more dynamic and interesting to not have it go smoothly.

• Agree x 10
    • Witnessed x 3
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

the best shit is when both parties are equally hurt and both need comfort

the even better shit is when they're the ones who hurt each other, intentionally or not :D

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Ok one thing I hate is when people insert unnecessary question marks in the middle of a statement for the sake of humor or drama or emphasis or some shit. Like
    ^^^THIS SHIT

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 2
  16. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

ashsfjk i admit i like a good question mark but ONLY if it is in parentheses...... for humorous mystery....... it's.... probably a dog??

The dog(?) barked.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My favourite line from a sporking of Hogwarts Exposed, referring to a bit when the professors encourage underage students to have sex on school property:

• Agree x 11
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Not solely a fic gripe, I just see it the most in fic and RP, but...people referring to cat people as "nekos." "Neko" literally just means "cat" in Japanese. There are ZERO further connotations, it just means "cat" and nothing further. It does NOT mean "cat people," and it fucking annoys the shit out of me that people use it that way!!

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 3
  19. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

when will people stop using "drabble" to refer to fics longer than a hundred words or god fucking forbid 1k+ fics like that's not a fucking drabble anymore! the word has a meaning and it's not what you think it is!! it is not synonymous to "small fic" it is used to refer to a very specific type of writing challenge!! stop misusing it!!!

you'd think writers would get that but no. I am extremely disappoint

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 6
  20. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i don’t think i knew that drabble meant “100 words max” until, idk, sometime within the last year. younger writers may have, like me, only thought it meant “very short fic,” without realizing it was meant to refer to a specific writing challenge

that said, even with that definition, calling a 1k fic a drabble is ridiculous. it’s certainly not a longfic but 1k is not tiny!

• Agree x 10
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice