What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

latest.gif

• Winner x 14
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

why this.png

• Agree x 8
  3. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Oh man I just finished writing an essay about unknown unknowns. Unless you want to spend all your time looking up every single possible thing, which doesn't seem like an efficient use of time, I think you just kind of have to accept that there are things about which you will remain misinformed unless you just happen to stumble across new information.

People fret sometimes about how much people rely on the internet rather than memory for information. I spent some quality time with relatives and no internet a while back. We kept coming back to the fact that we had no way to verify any information we wanted to share, whether it was spelling, geography, history, whatever. I remember my cousin joking that she could tell us anything and we'd just have to take her word for it. I don't think any of us wanted to fact check each other nearly as much as we wanted to fact check ourselves. I now wonder if maybe the urge to look every detail up on the internet is not related to poorer memorization skills but higher standards for even relatively unimportant or irrelevant facts given that it's usually possible to have those kinds of standards.

But only if you know that you might not know.

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

(italics mine)

It's that last bit that's the killer, isn't it?

(I don't hedge a lot because I don't say things, except when I'm joking, that I'm not fairly sure are true. At the same time, I am always aware that there could be new information or even old information I've never encountered...)

• Agree x 8
  5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I suspect that the 'neko' thing came from people just thinking they can cut down 'nekomimi' (person with cat ears and possibly other cat features) and be lazy. Like no; it removes an important part!

• Agree x 6
    • Informative x 3
  6. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Nekomimi just means "cat ears". It doesn't mean "cat person". Neko means cat, and mimi means ear/ears.

• Informative x 3
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It is the term that's come to refer to these sorts of characters though. Kemonomimi being the term used for characters like this in general from Japan. Not sure how this stuff is referred to in Japan itself, but at least in western regions these are the terms we use. So while it does just mean cat ears Minerva is right in that the mimi portion of it is the important bit that is signifying these things as what they are.

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 1
  8. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Author, it is totally cool that you consider your first chapter to be a prelude, and your second chapter to be chapter 1. However, Ao3 has its own labeling schema, and it disagrees with you.

Renaming your chapters with their proper numbers will result only in an ongoing argument with the platform as to whether preludes count as chapters.

Especially in a tonally dark & pretty serious work, it’s pretty jarring to hit the end of a chapter, flip to the next page to resolve a cliffhanger, and note that the chapter title is “Chapter 18: Chapter Seventeen.”

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    • Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i sometimes did that on fun (and ao3 when i transferred those fics over there) and i've seen it a lot

i never considered it causing trouble for people

i always just didn't really care since i knew which was right, and ao3 and ffn probably can't program a system that includes every kind of prologue or epilogue or prelude or whatever you want your chapters to be

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

i'm gonna write a fic where every chapter is Chapter Seventeen

you can't stop me

• Like x 8
    • Winner x 6
    • Agree x 1
  11. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

aha, i just have to find the fic that meets this very specific criteria

and that will put context-free anon......... in context

don't look at me

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

something something Monty Python Scene 24 joke here.

• Winner x 3
  13. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

"testily" does not mean "experimentally"

• Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Omg but I wish it did

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  15. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

This feels like the monthly challenge to one of those 'Creative Writing' LiveJournal communities. Like, "take this list of twenty genres and pick five. Now take Chapter Seventeen of that novel you're working on, rewrite it once in each genre, and watch your carefully crafted plot vault out the window. The wacky misunderstandings of your Romantic Comedy seem much more sinister in a Political Thriller!'

• Winner x 14
    • Like x 1
  16. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

when you see a new fanfic's been published in one of your slow fandom tags and you excitedly check to see what it is and it turns out to be one of those godawful accursed crossover fics with way too many fucking tags and you just. deflate

seriously this one fanfic had fandom tags that took up the whole screen and more like... what the fuck even. why. why. why couldn't it have just been another non-crossover character- or ship-centric thing please I'm dying over here

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 11
  17. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Don't get me wrong, I love crossovers, but I see those and I just scroll right past them.

• Agree x 10
  18. unknownanonymous

omfg there's one of them in the rvb section

• Witnessed x 1
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Yeah it’s been plaguing the Watch_Dogs fandom too. Is it the one with king Eric or whatever?

(Doubly offensive is the fact that it’s tagged for WD but doesn’t have a single WD character tag like c’mon.)

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  20. unknownanonymous

lord eric, yes.

and it's not tagged with any red vs blue characters either.

it's also book 2 but the first story.

i am extremely confused.

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice