What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

The poetic nature is why I tend to heavily prefer it. Stories aren't just plots and people and things. They also need to be at least like ten parts pretty wordsing. This pretty wordsing must drive the rest of the bits of the story to some degree and I wish to be able to analyze how we do things like achieve a tone via the particular way in which pretty words have been used and structured.

PRETTY. WORDS.

So like as much as I love Hodgell, I vastly prefer Kiernan's prose because Kiernan has managed pretty words in prose on a scale I've not really seen outside of Finnegan's Wake. Or well not even that compares to Finnegan's Wake but let's be honest. Can anything.

• Like x 2
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

purple and beige prose each make my eyes glaze over for different reasons. both of the reasons are adhd.

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 6
  3. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I actually really liked The Vegetarian by Han Kang and GOTH by Otsuichi is because the sentences themselves are fairly simple - leaning towards beige prose. Neither focus overmuch on the characters emotions - its up to the reader to react strongly to sad or horrifying things. It's the story that holds your attention.

• Like x 2
  4. shmeed

shmeed plant me

such complicated feelings about both! both are good sometimes and bad other times. beige prose can be really, really good for noir imo, but there needs to be lots of crunchy psychological stuff going on to pull it off without being boring
    i tend to dislike purple in general because i get very annoyed by having to sift for meaning in a sea of words. exception: if im going into it with the mindstate of "it's about the story and also it's about playing with language" then it can be very rewarding

my favorite thing is when a story is mostly beige but then has little nuggets of really simply-worded and insightful purple

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  5. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

bad prose is bad prose is bad prose tbh. the particular way in which it's bad isn't super important. bad flowery prose is more annoying and eye-roll-inducing, bad flat prose is just... dull and repetitive and lifeless. they're both bad jim

ALSO: its been said before but i CANNOT recommend ao3 savior enough. i have blacklisted over 250 authors and i am living my best life

• Agree x 9
    • Winner x 1
  6. Rehsepay

Rehsepay Teacup Dog

Blacklisting "/Reader" on AO3rdr is the best thing I ever did
    Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 2.28.51 PM.png

None of these people are even in the fandom tag I was looking at

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Witnessed x 9
    • Winner x 2
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Just looking at that set of tags gives me a headache

• Agree x 8
  8. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i'm sorry somehow "Zak Bagans/Reader" right next to "Smaug/Reader" is just too hilarious to me

• Agree x 6
  9. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

i've got '*/you', 'you/*', '*/reader', and 'reader/*' blacklisted on ao3 savior and it saves my life on a daily basis

also i found the ONLY male reader/lady characters fic ive ever seen and folks, pals, friends, i wish i hadnt. i read the first chapter on incognito mode (because i did not want it in my ao3 history) and it was possibly the least relatable, most alienating piece of fiction i have ever encountered.

please straight man, please leave the torchbearers alone......

• Witnessed x 13
  10. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

reader really gets around

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Don´t kinkshame

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

There's a character in the PPC called The Reader and I keep thinking of them when I see these fics.

• Like x 1
  13. garden

garden lucid dreamer

so you know how a little while back we were complaining about scrolling past fics with 50+ fandoms tagged? turns out someone made ao3 crossover savior to solve that very annoyance (and you can configure how many fandoms is too many!) \o/

• Winner x 7
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

yaaaay

just gotta get around to installing thise various things on my laptop...where i hardly ever browse ao3 anymore whoops

also can i complain about something very similar, where when i look for a tag like genderfluid character, or other plot tropes or something, and i fucken have to tweak the search 10000 times to weed out the rpf and band fandoms (edit: weed them out as i notice them scrolling thru, reload the search only to see a new one that i wasnt aware of, rinse repeat)

Like... kink tomato, but also, no i do not want to read a fictionalized version of a real life person. Creeps me all the way out, especially when the person in question has said "hey don't ship real people"

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 3
  15. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

RPF in general can rub me wrong in a lot of ways, but gender headcanons about real people is something that gets my back up every time.

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. unknownanonymous

and mental illness headcanons about real people. it's okay when it's historical people or, like, an attempt to answer the question, "why is trump such an asshole?" or whatever but when it's "fun" headcanons about celebs being autistic (which i don't think i've encountered in fandom but i'm sure must exist), it squicks me

• Agree x 7
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i was about to say that i actually don't remembwr whether it was the genderfluid tag or some other one, but i checked and two of the most recently updated ones in the tag are for rupaul's drag race and a korean band called BTS. w h y

Edit: okay and i'm going to stop looking for these things, because i wanted to see if the people at polygon.com were being rpf'd and uh, yes, they are. Which is probably why patrick gill made that tweet however long ago about not shipping real people either thru the mail nor in fic

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Witnessed x 6
  18. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

To be perfectly fair, as rude as real people gender headcanons are, genderfluid headcanons about people on RuPaul's Drag Race strike me in the same way that "Martin Kratt likes animals" and "Adrian Pasdar likes posting his friends being stupid on YouTube" headcanons do.

19. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

No, not really. Drag and gender fluidity don´t actually have to match up at all, and many drag queens are cis or binary trans.

• Agree x 6
  20. unknownanonymous

yeah, sorry, they're really not the same thing.

• Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice