What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I wasn't meaning to imply that they're the same, so much so as that it's not that much of a stretch that they might go together--but point well taken.

• Like x 1
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

thanks for clarifying! :D

• Like x 1
  3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

the only gender-headcanons type thing that i’ve seen in RPF that i can sorta understand why some authors do it is for Achievement Hunter GTA-verse fic, because Jack’s character when AH plays GTA is a woman, and AH GTAverse fics are at least somewhat about AH’s GTA personas

but that still feels at least a little weird, even though i know the basis for it. and other RPF gender headcanons definitely rub me the wrong way.

(note: achievement hunter is fine with RPF of them in general, so that’s not an issue)

• Informative x 1
  4. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

xtremely srs fanfiction gripe: no ones writing my niche ot3s and thats biphobic*, probably

(fenris/fhawke/isabela and garrus/fshep/tali are Valid and Extremely Good ships!!!!!!!!!!!!)

*because im bi and it offends me

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 7
  5. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

tfw reading fanfic about a canon nb character and the fics assign them a gender because using 'they/them' is Just 2 Much Effort. even worse because it's actually good fanfic otherwise

luckily I've gotten into the habit of saving fanfic I like so I can just open the fic up and change all the pronouns to gender-neutral ones!! mwahahahaha

• Witnessed x 9
    • Agree x 3
  6. unknownanonymous

lord eric is back at the top of the red vs. blue tag again

7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Witneree?

I've found that 'they' has become my default pronoun for a single person, gender not otherwise specified, to the extent that my brain really wants to write it into academic papers. Unless it would be very easy to rephrase to avoid any singular pronouns at all, I have made the conscious decision to go with it. I'm never going back to writing "he or she". Fuck that noise, I'm not erasing nonbinary people in my own damn essays.

Of the two teachers to whom I've submitted essays recently, I would be absolutely shocked if one of them objected. The other one plays things a bit closer to the chest but I'd still be quite surprised and disappointed if there were any problems. So far so good! (Also I'm completely capable of artlessly holding forth at terminal length about the ethics of the situation if necessary. I doubt it will be necessary, as I feel like the administration would shit itself if it became aware of a gender discrimination issue against nonbinary people, but like, sternly. It would sternly shit itself on my behalf.)

I know 'they' can trip people up if they're not used to it. You know what trips me up? Reading alternating gendered pronouns in different paragraphs of the same essay.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  8. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

@Verily: big same. even putting the issue of erasure aside, 'he/she' is so goddamn clunky, and it really sticks out when reading things, whereas 'they' just blends in so super naturally you won't even notice it. kinda like 'said' vs more descriptive/specific words for dialogue tags in a way? 'they' too has become my default pronoun for talking about anyone unless I know their specific pronouns, and even then I keep catching myself writing 'they' to refer to someone because it just comes so instantaneously to me (it even happens with my goddamn ocs!). tbh people who say it's too much effort have no real excuse--you'll trip up the first few times writing it instead of 'he/she', yeah, but that goes for everything, and the learning curve + effort needed in this particular instance is so damn tiny. anyone who insists otherwise needs a stern talking-to about respecting nb people + people's personal choices of pronouns (and good technical writing imo)

• Agree x 8
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"S/he" is a lot less obtrusive if your essay-setter doesn't want you to use "they" for some reason.

Oh, funny thing I found:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Winner x 1
  10. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

me: looking for a rarepair
    me: finds a fic with 4 different ships i like tagged, as well as about 8 specific kinks/sex acts most of which i'm also into. GREAT!!!
    fic: has 1 chapter, of a total 765 words, involving precisely NO sex or even ship content. last updated 2 years ago.
    me: weeps

• Witnessed x 23
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I know we all hate it when characters are made into villains just because the author hates them, but it's possibly worse when they're made into villains just because the author needed an antagonist. I mean, really, "Okay, I need a rapist. I know! Legolas!"

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 5
    • Winner x 2
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Though I gotta say, on that note, some fandoms are really hard to find villains for in AUs which require them (fusion-type crossovers with things which do have a villain, for example). Not usually an issue in fantasy stuff but I imagine it is in things which are supposed to be realistic slice-of-life - like, I'd have a hell of a problem finding an antagonist in a My Brother's Husband fic. I've had that problem with Hetalia, in that the characters are certainly antagonistic to each other but I can see where all the characters are coming from with what they're doing.

13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Hobbit and LotR fandom's complete lack of interest in exploring the idea of female goblins and orcs. Lack of female Uruk-Hai I can sort of get since in movieverse they appear to spring fully formed from mud by magic, but goblins are a natural species within the 'verse and presumably reproduce.

• Witnessed x 5
  14. Jove

Jove [ destination defenestration ]

Me: “Oh, look! A fic tagged with just the semi-popular pairing I like! From a good author!”
    Me: /clicks on it with naïve optimism
    Fic: /absolutely nothing to do with pairing I’m dying for
    Also me: /quietly drags hands down face

• Witnessed x 15
  15. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

STOP
    PUTTING
    "I suck at summaries"
    IN
    YOUR
    FUCKING
    SUMMARIES
    - a prose poem by me

• Agree x 22
    • Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It's abrupt and lacks an artful flow to it. Like poorly written fanfiction summaries that aren't actual summaries. Along with punctuating your frustration with this practice.

good poem

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 3
  17. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

It's the best thing I've ever written, probably. I'm gonna print it out and hang it on my mom's fridge.

Seriously though, why do people do that? I get it, summaries are hard, but like. If you do in fact suck at them, we can tell! You don't need to point it out! Preemptive self-effacement is not endearing!

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Agree x 12
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Just be like me and proudly write your trash summaries that are actually summaries.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have been successfully enticed to read fics by summaries that are literally like “a thing happens. Another thing happens. A character has an emotion”. It doesn’t have to be that hard.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. unknownanonymous

i've seen people put "i suck at summaries" in their ao3 tags before

"i suck at summaries" is the eternal plague of fanfiction

it has been there since ffn and will be here a thousand years hence, when everyone is posting their fics on readfanfiction3k.net*

*far as i know, not a real fic site

• Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice