What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

A Rudyard Kipling poem fragment from me.

• Winner x 2
  2. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Either way, you know exactly what you're getting

• Agree x 4
  3. witchknights

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would love to write straight up poetry for fandom but I only write for fandom in english, and I have to confess, I have like basically no idea how any words are pronounced in english. I have absolutely no fucking clue. I have a fic in plans that is two ridiculously repressed characters declaring love poetry obliquely to each other during a sarau among a bunch of other people so they can try on expressing feelings in an ye olde timey version of going karaoke with your crush and your friends that I absolutely cannot do because there was no Shakespeare in Thedas and all my favorite poets write in Portuguese, and badly translated poetry just feels... wrong. Especially if it's my badly translated poetry. I am already not great at it, and badly translating my poetry bs seems more dreadful than just my poetry bs by itself

Also I have. Poetry headcanons that no one follows because they can't read my mind and it is super annoying

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Witnessed x 3
  4. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

now i'm curious
    also i'd offer to help you find some love poetry but all my favourite poetry is kind of weird and fucked up in subject matter and nobody in thedas is gonna be quoting poetry about beating hitchhikers to death

5. shmeed

shmeed plant me

dont forget my good old standby, randomly generated titles
    readers assume it means something and ur work is done

• Winner x 4
  6. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

extremely specific gripe: i once read something that mentioned a female character peeing after sex or something and the author went out of their way to say the character took a single square of toilet paper and dabbed at her urethra?

f...friend, is it not a well known thing that if u have a vulva more toilet paper is required to wipe? you're just gonna have like...a fully saturated square of toilet paper stuck to your zone. again this was just really weird to encounter

• Witnessed x 14
    • Agree x 1
  7. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

roachpatrol's party on our own is one of my favourite fics because it's the only song lyric title where i've actually heard of the song

• Like x 2
  8. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

... Also, why the fuck would they write that. Is it supposed to be, like, peeing after sex But In A Sexy Way, or was it just some random useless TMI?

9. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

you know, i think it was just a case of "ooh its A Woman doing it which makes this Sexy because Women" but it just came across weird

• Witnessed x 5
  10. witchknights

I am not opposed to some bodily realism on fiction but... ew

• Agree x 6
  11. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This discussion of fic title types is Terrible Pun erasure.

(also i've done p much all of the ones mentioned ngl :P)

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  12. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

...What do you wanna bet the author has a kink and didn't know how to include it in the actual sexytimes? Because like. I can't think of any other reason you'd want to include that part in detail, period.

I might be wrong though. *shrug*

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I once named a fanfic with lyrics from a hilary duff song because at some point in the fanfic process you just fucking give up

• Winner x 6
  14. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Puns. I like to put puns in mine.

• Like x 1
  15. shmeed

shmeed plant me

it's a conversational thread
    sometimes people bring up a gripe and other people debate whether or not it's gripe-worthy, or take part of topic and use it as a springboard to talk about something else
    if something bothers you then you can disagree or disengage
    if you're bothered by disagreement then you can disengage
    telling a bunch of people that to not talk about an on-topic thing in a public, opt-in thread because it makes you upset is shitty. it's not your thread, you don't control what gets said

• Agree x 4
  16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i also have trouble with pronunciation of words, even though i'm a native english speaker, and yeah, that might make it hard for me to make my poetry sound good. like, i could try but there are at least few words that i just don't pronounce correctly, no matter how hard i try. that's 'cause of my autism and how i learn a lot of words through reading, i think.
    i do terrible puns too!

i even did one on an angsty dubcon fic, lol.

17. witchknights

I write prose a lot better in english than in portuguese, but i write poetry in portuguese better than in english. Youd think I would write both things better in my actual native tongue, but lol nope! Writing: it is weird.

And english doesnt really have a pronunciation scheme that makes sense like a sensible language that doesn't steal words from other languages on dark alleys under threat of violence so that doesn't help out poor people like us.

Ok now to an actual fanfic gripe: if I see another "modern girl in fantasy setting" fic I will set things on fire. Just buy a body pillow of the dude you wanna bang author my friend stop with that

• Agree x 2
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

yeah, it's really not that consistent, and it's not that easy to remember either. my parents have corrected me on my mispronunciations a lot but it has literally never actually helped - i've just kept on making the same mistakes over and over again 'cause my brain never learns and i think that confuses my parents a lot.

and yeah, those "modern girl in fantasy setting" fics are obnoxious.

19. witchknights

i posted it in the dragon age thread! it's silly stuff
    and yeah that is probably not the kind of subject for the poetry i'm aiming for in this specific fic hehe and most of the romantic ones i can think about are too modern for a medieval fantasy setting because my english only dates back to the 1800s

20. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

the advice i have would be to look for Roman poetry, much of which is delightfully overwrought in some way.
    not the famous one by catallus that starts 'i will sodomise you and face-fuck you', though. look for his other ones. He has some... more normal ones.

• Informative x 3
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice