What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I have a fic that both falls into Category 1 and has implied suicide-by-lack-of-self-preservation with no expectation that it will not stick.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I love this oc! I was just wondering, why do they have the same name as my favorite character?

• Witnessed x 17
  3. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I demand that the fandom I just joined stop posting the self-indulgent stuff they like and start posting the self indulgent stuff I like.

• Witnessed x 18
    • Agree x 3
  4. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i sure know that feel.

the id of the rvb fandom is pretty different from mine, it seems, and that is kinda frustrating for me.

• Witnessed x 2
  5. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

This is something that not everyone likes, but I really miss extremely long oc fic
    There used to be SO MUCH of it, and now it's all plotless reader inserts
    Blargh

• Agree x 5
  6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Agreed, even though I never really sought it out myself. I'd much rather see something plotty and well-thought-out, with interesting characters, than the bland reader insert stuff. Even if I don't end up reading it, I can at least admire the dedication that goes into long OC fic!

Also, unrelated fandom-specific gripe: people who still portray Jasper as the sole abuser in her relationship with Lapis. IT WAS MUTUALLY TOXIC AND ABUSIVE, THIS IS EXPLICITLY SHOWN AND THE CREWNIVERSE HAS OUTRIGHT SAID IT, WHY THIS.

(actually fanon lapis in general is kind of terrible and hideously ooc and i like canon lapis infinitely better but i digress)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    • Agree x 8
  7. emythos

I hoard good long oc fic like a dragon hoards gold tbh
    I've got a bunch of fics from the older fandoms like naruto still bookmarked
    If anyone ever wants to read 103 chapters of naruto oc fic or like three books worth of fma semi self inserts I can find it for u

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  8. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

If you have any good One Piece ones, I'm interested! Especially if it involves the Whitebeard Pirates, haha. I've been writing a big ol' OP OC fanfic for nearly 8 years now and I used to read a bunch of others as well, but I haven't had the energy to go sifting through the crap looking for That Good Shit lately...

9. emythos

I'll go through my bookmarks and see what i can dig up! I never found a LOT of good one piece ones, but there were a couple
    And I mean, if you happen to have a link to your own fanfic, I'd totally read it

10. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

:D Thank you! I'm not surprised, the OP fandom never really took off like the Naruto or Bleach fandoms did, so the OC community was always comparatively smaller. I used to know a bunch of OC creators on FFnet and dA, but I've been out of the fandom for five years and just about everyone I remember is gone XD

(There's Something In The Water is mine, or Something In The Water if you're looking at the old version - I've been rewriting it since I came back to the fandom. It's an OCxCanon thing with Marco the Phoenix; I set myself a challenge to take some common OC cliches - or they used to be common, at any rate - and try to make them work. Over the years, it's taken on a life of its own...)

• Winner x 1
  11. emythos

I remember finding a long marco/oc fic that I really liked, now I gotta dig it up again

Omg I will read :D

12. garden

garden lucid dreamer

this bnha fic was pretty good, up until it suddenly catapulted me out of my suspension of disbelief with a single word:
    bonus points: the scene it showed up in was in aizawa's POV, which makes that word choice doubly out of place

• Witnessed x 14
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
  13. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

...holy fuck

• Agree x 9
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

All of fandom has been mocking that shit for like a decade now, why do people still do it

• Agree x 11
  15. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

someone wrote a trollfic for rvb called A Very Innocent Fanfiction and i'm annoyed 'cause i would love to read a non-trollfic with all the tags on it:
    like, i want to read that but Serious, and i'm annoyed that it is just a trollfic.

• Witnessed x 9
  16. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that each part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure should count as a different section in Archive Of Our Own.

Okay so jjba is a very long running manga currently divided into eight parts. Each part has a different cast, setting, story, and atmosphere. (part 1 is gothic horror, part 2 is pulp-y Indiana Jones adventure, part 3 is violent road trip, part 4 is Scooby doo/twin peaks high school murder mystery, etc) And its hard to look up stuff from a specific part while still, for example, avoiding spoilers for parts that aren't yet in English. If Zelda can have an entry for each game under the greater Zelda umbrella, surely JoJo's can have an entry for each part.

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 1
  17. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

how much do I gotta pay people to stop putting things like this in your writing oh my god you're not being as clever or original as you fucking think you are at all

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 2
  18. Rehsepay

Rehsepay Teacup Dog

I'm reading a fantasy AU that involves some medicine making and the author obviously knows nothing about it. Poppyseed oil won't do a damn thing for pain, it's a food product. The opiates are in the resin, this makes no sense, argh

• Witnessed x 12
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  19. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I swan to jon i have non nsfw gripes but none at the moment
    some author decided that it totally makes sense/is hot/etc to have a character masturbate in the showe using shampoo as like. Lube on her vulva.

What the shit and hell was that train of thought like?

"Getting shampoo in ur eyes is universally known to hurt and irritate. Good thing that uh.... there are no sensitive membranes in the genital area? Good thing health officials don't literally say that soap is not good for the vulva! Yep this makes sense"

• Witnessed x 14
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

D: D: D:

• Agree x 10
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice