What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

this has probably been griped before but

people using "u" instead of "you" when it makes no sense, like for a character who probably wouldn't do it (I can accept it if someone is deliberately thinking about using "u" as a substitute and would be inclined to do so) and in the middle of otherwise basically everyday, unadorned-with-internetisms writing

• Agree x 7
  2. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Hugely nitpicky, but you cannot have a "rampant dragon couchant" on your heraldry. Those are are two different positions and unless the dragon in question is both standing on its back legs and lying down at the same time, you need a different description.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I immediately pictured a dragon doing, like, the reverse of that thing one of my parents' dogs does where she puts her butt on the armrest of a chair and her front legs are standing up on the chair seat.

I downloaded a sketch app on my phone just to illustrate.
    rampantcouchant.png
    I spent two minutes on this. I am not an artist.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Winner x 9
    • Like x 2
  4. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I stand corrected!

• Like x 2
  5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

but who would have that on their heraldry and why

• Agree x 4
  6. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

The lack of a heraldic word for loafing is absolutely tragic.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

See my mind went in the direction of centipede dragon

The head and the first couple sets of legs are rampant, and the rest are still all coiled up on the ground

• Winner x 8
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’d definitely have that on my heraldry tbh.

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Cat, en croissant.

• Winner x 12
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I mean who doesnt want a catloaf on their heraldry.

• Agree x 13
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Or a dragonloaf.

• Agree x 7
  12. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I don't even understand the point of lube when you're already in the shower?

• Agree x 3
  13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Because if whatever area you´re dealing with isn´t self lubricating water isn´t gonna work.

• Agree x 3
  14. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

and even if it is self-lubricating, vaginal mucus is water-soluble. get too much water in the area and you'll end up with more friction, not less.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  15. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Honestly I fucking can't manage to do this shit in the shower even with my self lubricating parts UNLESS I am like using a showerhead or something. The shit fucking disappears and rubbing there without it is a lesson in fucking misery. So like this sort of shit in showers in general is absolutely baffling to me.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

...well that explains a lot about...certain aspects of my personal life

Actual gripe: the fact that so much Trash Ship fic either makes it all ~*pure and fluffy*~ or does the trashy shit super badly (and inaccurately more often than not). :/ And it's barely ever IC!

#i just want some in-character trashy pearlrose #like is that really too much to ask for

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 2
  17. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

To the under-four set, “Mommy” and “Daddy” are names, not titles. A third, non-Mommy or -Daddy individual involved in caretaking, even to the same or greater extent as Mommy or Daddy, is not going to suddenly become a second Mommy or Daddy in the mind of a recently-verbal child. They are far more likely to refer to that person with some corruption of the actual name people use for them.

Mommy is Mommy. Daddy is Daddy.

Obi-Wan is Biwa, OK?

Duh.

• Agree x 15
    • Like x 1
  18. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Yep. The only exception I can think of to this is if Mommy or Daddy is gone for a significant period of time and the third individual is insistent on kiddo calling them Mommy or Daddy. And even then, it might not necessarily work.

• Agree x 6
  19. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I get really annoyed when someone advertises their fic as an AU that changes one vital element, and then as the fic develops they throw in all these different changed elements whose differences definitely aren't caused by that first, advertised change

like if you're gonna change fuck-everything then at least advertise that upfront in the tags or summary! I just wanted to read an AU where this one thing was different I didn't ask for all this other chaff I'm not interested in!! it's even worse if it ends up just being another plot rewrite of canon that hits all the same plot beats with only surface changes because then it's obvious the author has no actual idea how to actually change anything and is just throwing in random elements in an attempt to maintain interest of their readers when in reality all it does is the opposite

set expectations of your work early on or else you'll lose the faith of your audience, dammit

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 7
  20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Did you mean: a not insignificant chunk of HP rewrites which take a core element and then assume that core element comes with a host of other elements that really don't track actually.*

*I mean, I like a lot of those rewrites, but I'll be real, there's a fair few of them that really do not consider that "Harry was raised by Lupin and Sirius" does not mean "the Weasleys are magically Not Poor" and "the class schedules for the third-years are completely different actually".

• Agree x 15
    • Witnessed x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice