What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

how would they even get from there to there?

like, that makes no sense at all.

• Agree x 3
  2. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Expanding on magic culture in HP verse: hell yeah
    Extrapolating that to "yeah wizards do deserve to rule over muggles because the muggles are inherently destructive and have never created anything of use" or "actually the fucked up pureblood culture was Right All Along": significantly less hell yeah

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 5
  3. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

in canon the dursleys stole all of their money, clearly

• Informative x 13
    • Winner x 2
  4. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I agree with these posts so much I needed to quote them to agree with them again

HP Stations of the Canon my bugbear

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 2
  5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

there are only three AGGO fanfics and one of them is horrendously OOC for both LLENN and pito

also the AGGO fics are slotted into the main SAO archive on ao3 which is mildly annoying because then i have to actually use the filters so i don't have to see kirito's dumb face

• Witnessed x 4
  6. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i just saw someone use “menstruations” instead of “ministrations”
    :(

• Witnessed x 17
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. Aondeug

OMFG

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. garden

garden lucid dreamer

this is now the second time i’ve seen the incredibly unfortunate typo “bevore” in a fic’s summary

• Witnessed x 9
    • Like x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

bevore: what happens before the voring

• Agree x 4
  10. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Bevore: the act of voring; similar to behead

• Informative x 8
    • Agree x 5
    • Useful x 1
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Anyone else remember the Official Fanfiction Universities? And how a common trope in those fics was to have physical manifestations of typos from people's fics running around the halls aggressing the students? because I'm having some definite mental images right now

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

DASHES EXIST FOR A REASON, PEOPLE

STOP ABUSING ALL THESE POOR COMMAS FORCING THEM TO DO OVERTIME WORK FOR BREAKING UP SENTENCES OR DIALOGUE OR INDICATING STUTTERS WHERE YOU CAN AND SHOULD BE EMPLOYING DASHES INSTEAD

signed, local punctuation pedant and supporter of the comma care foundation

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 4
  13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I guess using commas where dashes should be can be useful sometimes? I might use that if I intend the sentence to come across as really rambly.

14. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

yeah, using commas instead of dashes can work in some cases, like making dialogue rambly or purposefully run-on or whatever. it has its uses at certain times, like all things. but the thing I'm complaining about isn't that, but where people are using commas to break up sentences without using dialogue tags, or for stuttering, and similar things, which is not only incorrect grammar but also just very messy and unprofessional-looking, and absolutely distracting when you're a fussy pedant like me

commas and dashes also have, I find, kinda different 'rhythms' and 'looks' to them, so having them or not can change how exactly a sentence is read in one's head, and I find that can have a pretty noticeable effect on the flow of individual sentences, at times? it's more minor, but sometimes it can be the vital difference between a sentence reading very smooth and very awkwardly. idk, maybe that one's just me...

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
  15. Aondeug

That's not just you, no. A lot of how we use punctuation that way is just convention and because it's just convention breaking it can fuck pretty hard with people. And unless it's artful fucking like with James Joyce's work it's often just a detriment. If flow breaks while reading and your reader can't parse how the flow works your reader is going to get cranky.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I would withstand the fury of a thousand commas if the author of the fic I’m reading now would stop putting fucking question marks in the middle of their sentences! and that’s not even going into the ellipsis swarms. just learn to describe a dramatic pause without resorting to punctuation abuse and your writing will be elevated to Fave Tier my dude

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    • Witnessed x 11
  17. Aondeug

18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

like using one or two of these is fine but these were all taken from within the same hundred-word chunk

it hurts me because the rest of their writing is very good but the goddamn question marks keep jarring me out of the moment, and in every dramatic or emotionally tense scene they pop up like mushrooms

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    • Witnessed x 16
  19. Aondeug

what the fuck

• Agree x 5
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

yeah I know

but the characterization is just good enough that I can’t leave

• Witnessed x 14
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice