What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I'm so spoiled, I forgot what it was like to read fic in a fandom where overuse of 'the taller man', 'the blond', etc. was an actual issue. Anyways, just read a nice fic, even if I was yanked out of the moment every paragraph or so to keep noticing epithet frequency :P

(sprinking fics with epithets like 'the jet' and 'the semi' are still more annoying to me, but there aren't many authors who really do that, and i forgot how often it could crop up in stories starring humans)

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. garden

garden lucid dreamer

personally, i'm still bristling over having had to read "the greenette" with my own eyes multiple times in the last few weeks, as well as "the heterochromia eyed boy" which still haunts me from a month ago. bnha fics, y u do this to me?

also, one of my friends ran across "the milky blonde teen," which. don't like that.

• Witnessed x 23
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

now that is a cursed expression

• Agree x 11
  4. Aondeug

on the one hand it's kind of hilarious that like 90% of all sakuremi work involves sakuya probably dying of old age or remilia angsting about this even though the rest of the story had fuck and all to do with this. and i mean i am a sucker for NON-HUMAN'S HUMAN LOVER DIES tragedy to the point where i can ignore touhou's actual canon on this subject with sakuya.

on the other hand boy i wish there was more shit that toys with how deeply inhuman the 'just a human' sakuya is.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. shmeed

shmeed plant me

i wish there were more davepeta stories they're so cool i crave it

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  6. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Why do group chat fics always have the worst fucking characterization

I mean thats kinda hyperbole but just. Fuck.

• Witnessed x 9
    • Agree x 7
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My own complete inability to make a decision, and the fact that I can't write fanfic for the rest of the Troll Call until they've been properly introduced so I know what I'm doing.

• Witnessed x 4
  8. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

have you thought about rolling dice for decision making?

• Winner x 1
  9. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

For a while I was really excited to see 'Derek Stiles' pop up on Tumblr, because the Trauma Center fandom is comically small and deserves some attention, probably
    But then I found out that 'Derek Stiles' is not referring to a magic anime surgeon fighting supercancer, but rather its the most popular slash pairing in Teen Wolf.

• Witnessed x 15
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

See also: My least favorite thing about practically every fic that involves characters communicating through the internet is that 90% of the time everyone texts/writes like a teenager on Tumblr.

• Agree x 11
  11. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Its also like
    Idk this might be me talking out my ass but it seems like its easier to divorce urself from the characters actual thought process/why would a human do this filter.
    Also specific example but a)he doesnt have 11k to throw around b)it eould be yen not dollars c) he wouldn’t need to pay for people to model naked for him!!! He could just take a class!! Also he wouldn’t pay for someone to model naked like that part of the game is.....wiiieeeeerd and creepy but. Its pretty obvious that hes grasping at straws to try to appease his abusive guardian and is also kinda fixated on it as a “true art” thing idk its wierd i know but. Thats not his only character trait

• Witnessed x 3
  12. LadyNighteyes

So apparently someone on FFA discovered an mpreg fic where the baby was delivered by vomiting it up.

• Witnessed x 17
  13. Aondeug

honestly ever since dragon ball that's the only way i can perceive of mpreg working

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

[gently hides my setting where elves reproduce by getting pollinated and then throwing up a bouquet with a baby in the middle]

• Winner x 17
    • Like x 3
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

16. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Gastric brooding!
    There was actually a very good johnvris fic where Vriska laid eggs in John's stomach and she was all struttin' around proud of herself and her baby momma. It managed to hit horrifying and cute and very in character in one go.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Today I learned that my love of weird biology headcanons is stronger than my vomiting-related disgust

• Winner x 7
  19. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Even if you're a really, really good author, with an amazing grasp of evocative language, like..... it's going to be hard to use the word 'yowl' without evoking the image of an injured and/or amorous cat. Which is what I definitely just took away from this scene. I'm not picturing a defiant last stand, I'm picturing a frisky cat.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  20. LadyNighteyes

YOI Badfic Friend reports that they went looking for fic of a free-to-play otome game, and amid the mountain of readerfic stumbled across one where the protagonist's name was literally rendered "MC."

(What really propels this one to greatness is that the summary is all angsting about how the dude can no longer remember anything about her clearly... except for her name. MC.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Winner x 7
    • Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice