What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

saw some very good fanart for a ship that i love yesterday, which inspired me to look up the pairing on ao3. there are a grand total of two fics for this pairing. clicked through one of them... and it's by the same person who drew that fanart. like damn, i knew this was a rarepair, but i guess it's even rarer than i realized.

• Witnessed x 12
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I know this isn't a major gripe, but how did this fic climb so close to the top of the one-shot explicit tf fics when it constantly capitalizes Proper Nouns that aren't proper at all and keeps capitalizing words for Emphasis

Screenshot_2019-01-20-15-45-55~2.png

• Witnessed x 19
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Kanaya is trying her best, but the quirk slips through sometimes :<

• Winner x 13
    • Agree x 3
  4. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Fic is well written, clever, interesting; story is engaging, spelling and punctuation errors negligable.

Plot involves characters from an over-the-top, deeply crapsack universe getting transported to a universe not particularly more crapsack than our own; identity fraud, job-getting, domestic stuff, and traumatized-child(s)-meets-non-crapsack-universe ensues.

... Years start to pass. No rescue.

Turns out plot involves time dialation. Elder traumatized child is married with baby by the time rescue arrives. 3 weeks have passed in original universe.

... interuniversal family breakup ensues. no on gon see anyone again. pain. so much pain.

last 2 chapters attempt resolution via discovery of time-travel setting on interuniversal remote.

too late. heart already rent. exhausted forever now. owie.

• Witnessed x 16
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Via YOI Badfic Friend:
    I know a/b/o fic does some very strange things to human anatomy, but people being able to chime is a new one.

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. LadyNighteyes

On a related note: I feel like a jerk making fun of fic that was obviously written by someone whose first language isn't English, because I know learning any language is hard and English in particular is a nightmarish hellbeast of a language with a ton of rules that, often, nobody even bothers to tell you exist. And I have a lot of respect for the courage needed to post something in a language that you don't speak natively.

But YOI Badfic friend found a doozy, and I'm so sorry, I can't not laugh at this.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

those are bizarrely poetic and i love them

reading more than a paragraph would give me a migraine, mind, but individually these sentences charm me

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

There were also no periods in large portions of what was quoted to me and the first two chapters were 1) a non-diegetic infodump about the author's extremely elaborate alternate a/b/o AU and 2) a... diegetic infodump about the author's extremely elaborate alternate a/b/o AU.

• Witnessed x 6
  9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

maybe it's an arthouse fanfic

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. jacktrash

i don't think we can blame ESL for that. that's just a mess.

• Agree x 3
  11. LadyNighteyes

Hey, I just said I felt bad laughing at the prose, not at anything else.

...*looks up at previous post*

...Or, I thought I did. It's what I meant, anyway.

there were seven greek-letter equivalents named after choral voice parts and the alpha-types were the deeper voices and the omega-types were the higher voices and they left out alto because they were cowards

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Poor handling of time. I haven't seen any examples as bad as How Not to Write a Novel's example of a character who throws a ball against a wall, delivers a long monologue, then catches the ball, but one that got to me was a case where our heroes find an enemy about to assault someone, they run off and have a long conversation with another ally about it, then when they get back to stop him he still hasn't started, as if he was put on pause while the viewer's eye was elsewhere.

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 2
  13. jacktrash

that's related to my huge peeve: when a character's internal thought process ends with 'shaking themselves' or chastising themselves for spacing out or something, so suddenly you're informed that time has been passing and the character has been noticeably paused. this drives me up the wall because like, first of all, people don't really do that much. you can generally think and do things at the same time unless you're super tired or sick. second, a lot of these 'internal monologues' are actually exposition and backstory, so the character wouldn't really be actively thinking through them in sequence. and third, thinking is a very fast process. if you are, for instance, making the connection between something someone just said, and an experience you had in the past, and drawing a conclusion based on that, it's like bam bam bam, there it is. even if it takes 5 minutes to explain it to the reader, for the character it's near instantaneous.

and then these authors have Protagonist McSpaceout visibly reboot and they turn out to have missed whatever was happening, because the cognitive burden of exposition was so hefty they couldn't take in new data while it was happening, and they do this at the absolute most inappropriate moments. like in the middle of a firefight.

i read more avengers fic than probably anyone else in the solar system, and i have had it up to HERE with steve rogers going on dozy trips down memory lane between throwing the shield and catching the ricochet. for the love of god, montressor. his past is not new to him. he had months in that depressing apartment in dc to brood over it if that's what he wanted to do. his serum-enhanced tactical thinkmeats are not going to bluescreen just because he had a nostalgia moment about somebody's brooklyn accent.

ps brooklyn accent sounds enough like several other east coast accents that having random russians and brits instantly identify it from three words is fucking ridiculous. but i digress.

• Witnessed x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  14. jacktrash

note to self: write a fic where someone very confidently identifies bucky's accent as 'boston' and draws conclusions about his identity from that

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 4
  15. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

what do you mean other people can think and do things at the same time

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  16. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I actually do that. Like, IRL. At some point as a child I was told subvocalizing everything made you more allistic and now I just can't stop.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I do sometimes zone out and then realize ive been zoning out, but its usually maybe like a minute of focusing on whatever ive been thinking about during a meeting, not like...while actual Things are happening

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I'll zone out and miss things if, for example, someone says something that sends me off on a train of thought and I get caught thinking about that and don't hear what they say next. But it generally doesn't last more than like... a couple seconds, or a sentence or two.

• Agree x 4
  19. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I'll zone out and miss chunks of information, but it's really hard for me to judge how long those chunks are. Probably not usually more than a minute or two? Not long enough that people are generally noticing that I've zoned out, and it's more problematic for this to happen during (say) class lectures where a minute can cover a hell of a lot of information than for it to happen during a family conversation where I can probably pick up from context wtf is being discussed now (and where I'm not necessarily expected to have the context anyways).

• Agree x 4
  20. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I zone out fucking constantly though it's never usually my thinking zoning out and more my just

...going into. The Void.

And then we're back from the void suddenly and like huh I guess that happened. Occasionally this is super disorientating because thought just kind of dies entirely for a moment, though I am still seeing and hearing things. Technically. I'm not really comprehending it, though.

• Witnessed x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice