What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

yeah, like... i'm not a trained singer, but i am a musician, and i can... well, i hesitate to call it "singing" but i can do the thing where i make my voice match the pitch i'm hearing, and from the absolute bottom of my range to falsetto i have less than 1.5 octaves. unless we're starting out real high i can't even drop my voice one octave, let alone "a few."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Agree x 1
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The US national anthem is an infamous hell song in amateur choirs because it has a high G a few measures before an E on the octave below. Even, like, the Queen of the Night aria (where the singer basically ceases to produce human sounds on the highest notes) only has them singing over a range of 2 octaves.

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 3
  3. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Hey for real tho, fuck the national anthem :argh:

• Agree x 5
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

US national anthem is also the tune of a UK drinking song, so make of that what you will people can barely sing it sober, why are you singing it drunk?)

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  5. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

it took drunk people to think that was a good idea

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  6. LadyNighteyes

Plus if you're drunk you're not going to care about how in-tune you are on the high notes. :::PPP

• Agree x 4
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

we should have picked a more fun sounding drinking song to use the tune of tbh

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  8. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

I mean to be fair the drinking song version probably was a bit bouncier the the national dirge the song has evolved into
    One of my mom's biggest pet peeves is people at sports games singing the anthem at an absolutely glacial pace so I grew up with her loudly and angrily singing the song as an up tempo ditty over the performance from the game

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

we should not have ruined it by turning it into a shitty dirge

• Agree x 6
  10. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Eight-and-a-half-minutes. Not super dramatic, but eh.

I listened back to it and there were some I didn't remember saying

• Winner x 7
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I just played his out loud to my sibling with no explanation and the evolution of their confused expression was a gift

Thank u

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. LadyNighteyes

I like how you get faster and faster toward the end. :::PPP

• Like x 1
  13. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

*quietly fuming* you can translate almost every possible tragedy in DA to a no-magic AU and it would make sense. Whyyyy

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 2
  14. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

...Kingdom Hearts fic isn't exactly what it was in 2007, but it's scarily close
    Honestly it's just less melodrama and more boring fluff and just
    Having a lot of trouble finding stuff I like ono

• Witnessed x 3
  15. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

...relatedly I understand trying to patch up holes in the characterization of female characters because fuck do these ladies need them but it's like the only girl ppl know how to write is "sassy and vaguely petulant but supportive best friend to the gay guys, and sometimes she's even vaguely implied to be a lesbian!" Which like. It's better then "evil girlfriend to one of the future couple" but Namine is not a sassy friend. Lunafreya Nox fucking Flueret is not a sassy friend. And like I agree that their characterizations need to be deeper then "ethereal and self sacrificing beautiful lady" (especially Luna) but there are ways to write compelling female characters that aren't textbook sassy binch

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 2
  16. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

...ok so I think I've twigged onto what I don't like- the lady supporting characters are always characterized in a way that removes the possibility of them being vulnerable and human. And I guess to some people that might be nice but vulnerability and defence mechanisms and shit like that is a large part of what I identify with in characters and it seems like women are either completely powerless or not allowed to have dramas that are taken seriously

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 3
  17. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ugh i don't know enough about the other girl, but Naminé already has a characterization that lends itself to producing perpetual drama if you just lean into it a little. She's a desperately lonely undersocialized girl who... like she starts out reluctant but and by the end of Chain of Memories she's pretty damn horrified with herself but she got. Pretty into fucking with Sora's memories and putting herself in them. There's so much there!!!! There's so much potential!!!! even if you don't want to make it super Drama, she still lends herself to the Awkward Scheming Friend who tries to help people with her awkward and kind of tone deaf schemes. she would absolutely be the type to like. Organize a picnic but "accidentally" only invite like. Sora and Riku. Oops!!! And then something came up that prevented her from going so they're all alone at a romantic cliff at sunset. Oops!!!! :D and it's like extremely transparent and silly, and Riku looked through it immediately, but Sora has terminal dumb bitch disease so it would still work. Even if naminé is super bad at schemes.

• Like x 7
  18. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

This otherwise awesome fic consistently mixes up "cure" and "vaccine". Even when the person talking is a doctor.

• Witnessed x 10
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Agree x 2
  20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

The former is, well... I mean, compared to a lot of fic authors, he's pretty middle of the line in terms of wordcount over the years, and lord knows people can get involved in fandoms despite it not making sense to the rest of us. Most little kids shows have a level of fandom output that baffles me, but I'm sure there's people who get weirded out by anyone pumping thousands of words into anything.

As for the second, that's a really good question.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice