What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

im gonna spray this author with water like theyre a cat up on the table where they shouldnt be

Look at these fucking tags, mobile screenshots so maybe they dont take up 3.25 full screens on desktop but!!!! No!!! Bad!!! Why!!!!!!!!!
    20190221_133142.jpg 20190221_133155.jpg 20190221_133208.jpg 20190221_133220.jpg

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 3
  2. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

so, many of these tags are baffling: "books" "flowers" "metaphors" "sleep" "watching"

but what really, really gets me is that... the fic they're tagging is 1000 words long. what, did they just remove all the articles and pronouns and put the whole fic in the tags or something?

• Agree x 13
  3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'm--I'm sorry, I don't actually believe the fic can fit all of those concepts into a section under 2000 words meaningfully enough to actually need the tags. There has to be at least 200 words of tags there. The tags are almost a third of the story.

• Agree x 10
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

frog suits.png

(dangit, on tumblr i never had to resize my reaction images because it squashed everything into a 500px box on its own.)

• Agree x 5
  5. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

[​IMG]

• Agree x 6
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

• Agree x 11
  7. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

[meme voice]
    you are like little baby
    watch this
    Screenshot_20190221-134418.png Screenshot_20190221-134428.png Screenshot_20190221-134435.png Screenshot_20190221-134442.png Screenshot_20190221-134459.png

and it updates regularly :')

edit: i tried to count the number of character tags but it was really really hard and my cat was noofing my hand the whole time so im giving myself a ±20 cushion (i started counting like.... '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, sixty, 1, [...] seventy' etc and i don't know if i repeated or skipped a couple groups of ten)

ALL THIS TO SAY: i counted approximately three hundred and ninety character tags

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Witnessed x 12
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. garden

garden lucid dreamer

[unholy pterodactyl screeching noises]

• Agree x 11
  9. Everett

:((((((((((((((((( why are these authors like this

• Agree x 9
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, looks like it's mostly one 3000-4000 word fic every few months. That's not particularly extreme, even if the fandom is weird.

• Agree x 3
  11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Hanging around r/fanfiction has taught me that there are a lot more people who've written half a million words of fic over the years than I originally thought.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I just wanna know who even reads those fics. They look like something I would have clicked on when I was 13 before I learned that you're actually allowed to scroll past things that don't look good

(fakedit: referring to the tag monstrosities, not the train fics)

• Agree x 6
  13. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

390 characters from one fandom o.0 You okay there, Transformers?

• Agree x 3
  14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

the canon has started in the eighties and shows no signs of stopping any time soon, what do you think? :P
    (i think at least some of those characters are such minor sidebits that they've never had a toy though)

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. Rehsepay

Rehsepay Teacup Dog

For what it's worth transformers has been my fixation du jour for a while now and most of these characters are so minor I have no idea who they are. (Bombast? Daystar? High Cloud?? Who the heck is Hooch?)

• Informative x 1
  16. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

i am pretty sure most of these characters are from different continuities and also some of them seem to be OCs but also also no, transformers is not okay

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Ok I understand and empathize with the urge to just pile every last piece of tragedy into a character but. Like. When u have written many many fics for your otp and in almost all of then one half is a giant abusive douche to the other and yet they still end up together and super fluffy I start to get. Worried.

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 5
  18. Everett

Does anyone else get a little eyerolly at this point when someone in a fic like, clenches their fists so hard their fingernails stab their hands

We Get It, Youre Mad

im gonna pretend this fic didnt just ask me to believe this (admittedly superhuman) character not only broke the skin but actually uhhh drew a lot of blood?? Like, its dripping onto the ground?? (Eta, this character has normal human fingernails, not like pointed claws, hes just strong)

Look, im diabetic, i feel like i know about drawin blood from your hands, and i have to Try sometimes to get enough of a droplet to test my blood sugar (eta: admittedly theres some scarred/tough tissue to poke thru but im using a real actual sharp lancet, not My Blunt Human Keratin-Bits)

What the fuck is this man doing to he own palms with he own finger nails to like....cut his own hands that badly that suddenly

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Agree x 10
    • Witnessed x 1
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I mean I guess Jame could manage that if her claws were out but like...aside from that sort of shit you really arent going to be drawing blood like that...

• Agree x 2
  20. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

id find that particular fanfic trope more interesting if anything was done with it after it happened like. youre bleeding! from your hands!! let the other person notice or give us some angsty healing or SOMETHING please or else i can only think that youre just wandering around with open wounds on your hands the rest of the time

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice