What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

I feel it can also help to create a sense of chaos and confusion, even (especially) if the characters don't necessarily find out exactly how things happened.
    The key is the author should probably have an idea of it went down, at least.

I could accept this if the character in question was emotionally deadened for some reason or another. Doesn't apply to Steve, but, theoretically. Or the 'somehow' if they don't understand why they're having this kind of reaction.

• Agree x 5
  2. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

I think that's the point. These constructions have actual meanings, and should be used only when you're trying to mean what they mean, not just whenever.

• Agree x 4
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I've noticed this with more inexperienced writers. They don't seem comfortable with using short sentences with definitive statements. Everything is kind of, sort of, almost, a bit. It's okay to let your characters experience a full emotion, kiddos.

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

I think its like. Writing advice going hard on "you can't just tell us what your character is feeling!" so they are trying to create some distance and ambiguity to the emotion. Like "It's not sad sad it's almost sad, its like a wierd sort of melancholy, its artistic!" its like they're saying he's feeling blood orange and the rest of us are like he's fucking sad

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

that's a reason i hate so much writing advice. a lot of it just breeds different bad habits because the shit never seems to come with like explanations as to why the thing works or treats it as A Thing That Is Always True and Which Everyone Who Is A Good Writer Must Use. it's part of why i've ended up with my chief advice being 'don't seek out advice. just write A Whole Lot and begin to read your stuff and think about it. read other peoples' stuff and think about it. see what people think of your stuff and think about it'.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Agree x 8
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

"Never do [x], do [y] instead."
    "Never do [y], do [z] instead."
    "Never do [z], do [x] instead."

AND SO THE SNAKE CONSUMES ITS OWN TAIL

• Agree x 18
    • Winner x 1
  7. Knives

Knives Active Member

tbh i think a lot of it is that a lot of ppl start fic writing adjacent activities with roleplaying, and there's this stigma towards short replies in rp so ppl learn how to stretch out a single action into an entire paragraph and ugh

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, I've definitely seen fic that has... obvious hallmarks of the author being used to RP with minimum wordcounts per post. Usually, lots of unnecessary detailing of mundane actions, characters stopping to internal-monologue about their feelings at almost everything, and stuff like passive voice and odd viewpoint shifts because the writer is used to trying not to godmode other people's characters' reactions and hasn't quite gotten the hang of the fact that they don't need to do that any more.

• Agree x 5
  9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

So its basically the new "paid by the word"

• Agree x 4
  10. Aondeug

Some fic are even just RP sessions that have been repurposed into prose. I know this because of. Reasons.

• Agree x 6
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Conversely, there are RP sessions with so much behind-the-scenes coordination they might as well just be fanfic collabs.

• Agree x 4
  12. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Off topic-ish, but this is particularly true when describing a dream.

In dreams, things are not somehow something else. The “how” is that it’s a dream. Leave out “somehow.” The frog is your mother and also sometimes a heart. It lived through your hand seizing up and crushing it like silly putty because physics don’t actually work when your brain is running the universe. You know its glare was reproachful because you felt super guilty for squishing it.

Object permanence goes wonky when there are no actual permanent objects. Roll with it and tell the damn story.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  13. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm especially having fun with this while writing 'stalemate', and by fun, i mean casimir manipulating dreams is some of the hardest writing work i've ever done. object permanence and lucidity and knowlege and realism all vary depending on his control of himself and the dream and his magic, from moment to moment, and over time as he ages and learns. and i have to make my prose reflect that down to the grammar. don't get me wrong, i love the challenge, but i had to bitch a little bit. :P

• Winner x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I've encountered multiple ficcers who seem to use autocorrect as a spellcheck, because random words are replaced by totally unconnected ones. See the guy losing his memory in a card game, the people of a town being very mice, or the disembowelled finger.

• Witnessed x 4
  15. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

I mean, are you reading yugioh fanfic?

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

No, the writer meant "money".

• Informative x 2
  17. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Oh yeah, I figured! (although it honestly took me a second of "what's weird about that?" ;p) I was just making a joke :)

• Like x 1
  18. Aondeug

I got super confused and thought the writer meant that he was losing AT memory.

• Agree x 1
  19. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i just assumed it was american gods fic

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Heh, sadly not.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice