What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

yeah, that is fair.

2. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

in future i'm tagging all my fics with YES THERE IS INCEST I REGRET NOTHING

• Winner x 11
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I want to do that but then I remember I write lots of Kencyrath works and there's no point in tagging incest there.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Anyone else remember Chatoyance?
    That. Sure is a take on morality that. Uh. Exists?

(She's also the Unicorn Jelly person IIRC.)

• Witnessed x 6
  5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Also, I had mostly forgotten about the sheer extent of MLP fanfics that went full grimderp. upload_2019-4-8_15-52-48.png
    Seriously, why.

• Witnessed x 4
  6. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'm really annoyed by the Unicorn Jelly woman because the phrase 'my kokoro wish' has been embedded in my subconscious for fifteen years and like all internet phenomena it's basically impossible to explain after the fact.

• Witnessed x 8
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Unicorn Jelly? I’ve never heard of that, what is it?

• Agree x 3
  8. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

looks like it's a webcomic about a unicorn blob

• Informative x 4
  9. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

That feel when you want a particular flavor of Dead Dove but the rest of a fandom is enamoured with a different flavor of Dead Dove.

:hmph:

• Witnessed x 24
    • Agree x 1
  10. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I might be remembering this wrong, but this is a concept that turns up in some mythologies. For instance ancient Greeks had an incest taboo but the gods could have incestuous relationships without it being wrong, because they were gods and the rules were different.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

@palindromordnilap That sounds exactly like the problem most people have with Terry Goodkind (I quote "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity"). Is she an Ayn Rand fan, by any chance?

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

This is in no way at all the author's fault, but a serious story about a kid being taken out of an abusive situation is ruined by the nice parent feeding the kids crumpets because that immediately puts me in mind of groinsaws and holy fuckfire.

• Witnessed x 3
  13. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

general gripe: i have a bunch of unread fics in my "marked for later" stack and probably most of them are good, but none of them compare to updates for the fics i really want to see more of. sad face.

• Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 1
  14. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Personal gripe: depressing moment when I realize the fic that I want is a good crunchy, meaty character driven story. Something heavy, complex and cathartic and that.... doesn't really exist in the broader fandom these days.

I feel like 90% of this fandom's current content is rehashed RP that skews from slightly to very OOC, and stuffed full of stale grab bag tropes.

• Witnessed x 15
  15. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

So many fics featuring these brothers' relationship have the older one thinking about how weird his little brother is and how he never understood him because of [insert a bunch of traits that at least to me read very clearly as autistic]. And I am just. Tired of it.

• Witnessed x 17
  16. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

me: [opens the utena category on ao3 to check out new fics]

tags of a new fic: #akio but only in passing thank god

me: [closes the tab]

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
  17. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

When someone from a predominantly Christian background writes a character that isn't... but this just takes the form of word replacing "God" in casual conversation instead of like. Finding culturally appropriate exclamations instead.

"Oh my Zeus, that's a terrible shirt!" sounds stupid. I'm sorry.

• Agree x 13
    • Witnessed x 3
  18. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

or like, having them say 'gods' even when it makes no sense. who the hell would thor be saying 'gods' about?

• Agree x 9
  19. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

"Oh my kami!"

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
  20. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Too be fair, some of that stuff is not common knowledge or something they teach in any official capacity and is kind of difficult to Google. Often local slang you only pick up through immersion or knowing someone who is native to or immersed in the culture as a proxy that you can ask. Whichhhh you can't exactly ask of actual for realsies Thor, or ancient Greeks.

Also am I the only one who finds the idea of Loki shouting "Odin damn it!" at something absolutely fucking hilarious or......?

• Agree x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice