What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

And, again, I'd 'quibble'. Mostly because I'm a linguist and it's my job to quibble over our absurd amount of terms. Granted we need the things since even single utterances must be considered. And an utterance is not the same thing as a speech act and so on and so forth. I'm a picky cunt. I'm going to offer the picky cunt definition.

(for the curious a speech act must serve a specific purpose beyond simply imparting information. so if i were, to say, ask you to open the door for me i would be performing a speech act. namely i am making a request. were i to just say 'trains are cool' this alone would not necessarily be a speech act. it would just be a statement of information unless we added something more to it, be it tone of voice, more words, or a context. you could ask me what my opinion on trains is and then the statement 'trains are cool' is a perlocutionary speech act, that is, the result of you asking me for my opinion on the nature of trains. you caused me to share my thoughts on trains.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    • Informative x 5
  2. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

huh, interesting! i was exposed to code-switching as referring to how people change their language based on context - for example, someone who swears like a sailor among friends, but who has never even said "oh shit" in front of their parents, which i think is closer to what jesse is talking about, but my definition would also include what bobby does as "code switching"

if it isn't code switching, then what would the picky cunt definition be of changing your language/mode of speech depending on your ... audience, i guess?

edit: anxious now, i want to be clear that i'm joking when i quoted the "picky cunt definition," i think this is pretty cool

3. Aondeug

You're picking a language variety. In the case of the job interview thing probably a register. Which is a variety, also called a lect, of language that exists to serve a specific purpose in a certain situation. In this case it would be to show to the interviewer that we're intelligent and capable of 100% proper good white person English. There's a large variety of varieties though and they all have their own reasons for being specific terms. Style, for example, has meaning in certain social contexts. Slang isn't a variety itself since it's working at a word level, but it is considered to be part of a style in a situation. This can be things like your white co-worker who is part of your all Mexican fast food worker clique using the word pinche very frequently. In the group here it has a social meaning. Namely that this person is part of the little worker clique even if they themselves cannot meaningfully codeswitch between Spanish and English beyond a few words. There's a lot of these so what all we would be using would depend on like. The specific situation and even then you can break down single conversations without a switch anywhere into a variety of varieties. There's multiple styles and registers of AAVE possible, for example, which itself is a dialect (sometimes specified further as a sociolect or ethnolect).

These can also all switch in singular conversations, resulting in more specific terms like style shifting existing (it's like code switching but limited to swaps in style. so switching to using pointed use of slang that would mean something socially would be a style shift).

EDIT: Also I'm fine with the usage of picky cunt so no worries! I mean I self applied it myself and I am, admittedly, being a bit cantankerous.

• Informative x 9
    • Agree x 1
  4. idiomie

unrelated: when people pull karkat out of hemo order and put him on the bottom/after aradia, like

listen, he's a mutant, i can get putting him "outside" the hemospectrum, sometimes, but he was revealed to be a mutant lime blood (something to which the hints of weren't hints, they were literally spelling it out) and he belongs between sollux and nepeta

any time i see art that's like, a zodiac chart, but karkat is OUT OF ORDER and between feferi and aradia, i feel my soul leave it's body

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 3
  5. Aondeug

i wish to agree twice

• Agree x 1
  6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Aon --> linguistic code switching
    Jesse --> socio-linguistic code switching

Interested to see where the verdict falls on what 'definition' altering a strong accent with its own particular vernacular falls, since many regional or geographic accents are to be considered to be a singular language or patois

• Agree x 3
  7. Aondeug

Accents being languages seems odd to me since they're just the specific manner in which things are pronounced from how I'm used to defining it. Just the pronunciation. They're tightly tied to dialects and can even be considered a subsection of them but they're not really dialects themselves. Since they don't factor in things like word choices, grammar, and so on. Just how a particular person, group, region, so on pronounces things. Like it's a part of the thing but isn't the thing itself? So like it'd fall into codeswitching matters between two distinct dialects of English during a single conversation, for example. Since accent, how you pronounce things and sound, is a tightly tied little piece of the dialect. Or even just they all happen to happen together like. Since they're interconnected little bits but also distinct little bits because language is fucking hard. It is like Shrek. I'm not sure if I'm wording this well because tired...

Also this reminds me of the lovely fact that the arguments between what is just a variety of a language and what is a language is. A fuzzy matter. It's often heavily political. See Japan labeling Okinawan a variety of Japanese, while Okinawans argue that it is a distinct language (an argument that several non-japanese linguists agree with). Scots has a similar conflict going on where people will argue that it isn't actually a 'real' language and is just a really weird dialect of English. Shit fucking sucks. All language based discrimination like this does and there is a lot of it from all sorts of avenues. Like how you can fire someone for an accent by claiming that the accent impairs the employee's capacity to do the job. The current procedure for handling these cases in the US being...troubling (things tend to weigh heavily on the employer's word and the judge's opinions). I was extremely sad when learning about that all. I still am.

(also the linguistics derail has gone on for a while so it should probably move elsewhere)

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

On the subjects of linguistics and dubious fanfiction, I encountered a truly epic FFA thread the other day complaining about a million-word Harry Potter time travel fic of the "bashing JKR's worldbuilding" school, with their specific pet beef being the punny dog-Latin spells. Half the fic is just smug linguistics lectures, which is all well and good, follow your dreams, except... they used Google Translate for all of it.

• Witnessed x 16
    • Winner x 2
  9. Aondeug

...I

• Agree x 4
  10. LadyNighteyes

Apparently "Tu es joven, pero inteligente" is 10th-century Catalan.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Informative x 2
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]

• Agree x 11
  12. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Maybe more 'fanfiction adjacent' but my god, imagine-[fandom] blogs that spam tag stuff are so....... annoying.................... I feel bad every time I block one but my god, there's like fifty of them and all of them are angling for the exact same generic Reader/Character scenarios that they could get off a Writing Prompts list instead of soliciting for hyper specific prompts in the tags instead.

• Agree x 11
    • Witnessed x 3
  13. LadyNighteyes

I was going to say someone should make a parody account joking about the genericness of the prompts by filling them with "[INSERT CHARACTER HERE]" jokes, but then I remembered readerfic is unironically like that.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  14. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Start one for a fandom and just like. Invent a character. Halfway through "how would the boys react if their lover broke every bone in their body" insert like "Carlvo wouldn't be allowed in the hospital, but he would sneak in via the roof every night and sing each of your shattered bones a lullaby." Start referring to canon characters by nicknames, and then drift those nicknames into new nicknames, then pretend these new nicknames stand for something else entirely. Try to make as surreal an experience as u can

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 4
  15. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

you are a scary rabbit and i love you ❤️

• Agree x 2
  16. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I'm more forgiving of that stuff, because I remember a period of time when the fantheory was that Karkat's mutation was that he was bridging the gap between maroon and tyrian - so fics would give him gills that he had to hide as well as his blood.

• Agree x 8
  17. idiomie

okay, that's valid, i'd forgotten about that theory but now i'm remembering some pretty good "karkat becomes emperor" fics based on that concept - like the red headed striders theory, it seems to have died down mostly

... it still really bothers me to have karkat out of order. cancer has a specific location, argh

• Agree x 3
  18. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I still headcanon seadweller karkat and ginger striders, honestly.

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I like the theory that's been brought up due to the lime-fire-breathing axolotl in the Hiveswap concept art; limes weren't seadwellers, they were freshwater lake-dwellers. I don't think it'll be canon but it's a lovely idea, and a nice callback to that theory.

• Like x 7
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Gripe; I can understand a character who is imprisoned and tortured being angry that an old acquaintance who found him didn't mercy-kill him or kill his captor and mentally deeming her a coward for it. However, don't think I didn't notice that he didn't do the same thing when a male character also failed to kill anyone for him.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice