What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

My fanfic gripe is cursed Edelgard fanfic.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  2. Aondeug

The fic in question being the sort I had complained about in the vent thread earlier. There's just something uncomfortable, as a woman suffering with trauma, to see rape revenge fic that's just written with such antipathy and malice towards the victim.

I'm also just kind of irritated that I feel like...uncomfortable with it at all. I'm a very you do you sort of gal. This is a standard I wish to hold by always and I won't like be like 'don't write this shit,' to people because that just isn't what kind of person we are. But I do feel bad about not being comfortable with shit.

But I really do think that some people need to step back and think a bit about how much they hate this character and the ways in which they express that hatred.

But I feel like a prude.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    • Witnessed x 10
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

(EDITED: Whoops, sorry, didn't see the "move this" request!)

4. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Tfw there aren’t many stories in a tag, and a solid two pages of the listings are nothing but works by one single author who has completely incompatible taste to yours. On one hand, sadness. It looked like there was so much more variety of content to peruse than there actually was.

But otoh, daaaamn, you go author! No one could deny that you’re making a meaningful contribution to a tag that sorely needs it. I applaud you! You’re making it hapen!

So pretty much tfw you don’t want to read any of the stories but you do kinda want to throw a ticker tape parade in honor of the most prolific author of stories you don’t wanna read. I’m disgruntled but I think you’re coooooooool!

• Like x 14
    • Agree x 6
  5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

oh man, i know that feel so much.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

"X and Y find themselves staying in a room that has only one bed, what will they do?": You get three guesses and the first two don't count.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
  7. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Play Jenga? :P

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 5
  8. Aondeug

my brain screamed FUCK immediately so i have ruined everything

• Witnessed x 6
    • Winner x 2
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Playing Jenga on a bed seems like it’d really add to the challenge of the game...

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

It´s hardmode.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

20191015_230142.jpg why must you do this to me

• Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. Aondeug

...I.

gh fghhhhhhh

this image has made my day by being so fucking awful holy shit

• Agree x 3
  13. LadyNighteyes

AO3 gripe:
    a curse.png
    Ace Attorney character and ship tags.

• Witnessed x 9
    • Agree x 2
  14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

someone just posted a 74 chapter short story compiliation to the celeste tag. hooary!

it is mostly other fandom drabbles and none of the chapters are labelled with their fandoms. oh no!

• Witnessed x 15
  15. Aondeug

And I thought having to look at My Unit | ENTER CHARACTER HERE FROM ONE OF THE GAMES was bad...Christ alive...An entire fandom where this happens...

• Agree x 3
  16. LadyNighteyes

They actually changed how they handle the pairing tags to make them worse. Used to be, Wrightworth displayed as "Mitsurugi Reiji/Naruhodou Ryuuichi | Miles Edgeworth/Phoenix Wright," so you could just. Look at one end and see the pairing. But apparently someone thought this was totally unacceptable, so now you have to parse the entire nightmare of a tag to figure out who's smooching who.

• Witnessed x 9
    • Informative x 1
  17. Aondeug

wow

• Agree x 5
  18. LadyNighteyes

(Like, I'm not even looking for Ace Attorney shipfic, but every time some of it comes up in one of my "let's look through a weird freeform tag for kicks" sessions, I feel a deep wave of pity for anyone who is.)

• Witnessed x 3
  19. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

I'm still waiting on someone in FE fandom to do what needs to be done and make Leo | Leon/Leon | Leo a canonical tag. It's what this abomination of a tagging system deserves.

Context: FE14 has a character named Leon in Japanese, who is for ??? reasons renamed Leo in English. Then FE15 turned out to be a remake of a previously unlocalized game that already had a Leo, and things got awkward.

• Winner x 6
    • Witnessed x 3
  20. Aondeug

oh dear sweet jesus

• Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice