What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I just found an author who uploads chapters when they're half-done, sometimes cut off mid-sentence, and then sporadically adds paragraphs over the course of the next day. I can't. I can't deal with this.

• Witnessed x 25
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Ouch. Ouch. I mean, I kinda do the same with forum comments, but...

• Agree x 4
  3. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I do that by accident sometimes and immediately panic, copy the contents, and delete the comment so I can make a new comment that's finished before I post it.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 1
  4. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

Don't get me wrong, I love me some recovery fic and also h/c fic. But a) you decided to have Ed regress in age mentally to about five or younger as a response to extreme torture and trauma. b) You are approaching a literal deadline. I am not able to feel the family feels of Roy adopting Ed and Al with Hawkeye playing Mom when all I can think of is "and then everyone in Amestris died because of the Promised Day." All I can do is scree and flap like the angriest most alarmed velociraptor.

• Witnessed x 19
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm not sure if this is a gripe or a delight, but really bad fanfiction is amazing in ways goodfic can never approach.

By which I mean I'm rewatching that video where Jenny Nicholson found a fanfic where the author wrote self-insert RPF and then put in a second, sexier self-insert to steal her thirst object from herself.

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 5
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

she what

• Agree x 2
  7. LadyNighteyes

Fanfiction is amazing.

• Winner x 5
  8. Aondeug

I am going to go on a ride.

• Agree x 4
  9. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

i want a reasonably chunky fic which showcases the development of [popular triad] from their canon dynamic to a triad to spontaneously exist right now, and i want to write none of it.

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 3
  10. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

seperately, look, i know this triad is m/f/m, and i know writing words about the contrast between characters' body types is a thing, but if i read the words "womanly body" ever again in my life i'm going to flip.

(...yes these posts were both about castlevania yes i extremely enjoy that sypha is fairly androgynous no i'm not projecting you're projecting, but even disregarding the trans krangles, ..............""""womanly body"""")

• Witnessed x 9
  11. Aondeug

why was she so mean to herself omg holy shit

• Agree x 3
  12. LadyNighteyes

Right? Did she get jealous of her own self-insert and decide she hated her or is this, like, some 13-year-old-girl NTR thing?

• Agree x 3
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Watched and was immediately transported back to my early fanfic-reading days. oof. the capriciousness of young fanfic authors is incredible

• Agree x 3
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

why so many rpf one direction purge aus.....

ETA: to be very clear I watched the Jenny Nicholson video where she reads one direction purge au rpf. I personally have no interest in rpf, one direction, or purge aus

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 3
  15. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

20191113_073510.png
    (Tell me if i i should be spoilering or anonymizing this idk)
    Gotta love a) the framing of a 22 year old and a 23 year old as the fucking parents of 2 20 year olds god I'm tired of that in this fandom and b) the framing of actual attraction to men as "sicko" and connected with skeeviness while connected to the actual act of sex with men being in a "brothery" way. You know.

• Witnessed x 13
  16. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

what

• Agree x 8
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

god that is a whole mess of issues right there

• Agree x 7
  18. LadyNighteyes

oh no.png

• Witnessed x 17
  19. garden

garden lucid dreamer

aaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

(that said, ao3 crossover savior is a godsend)

• Agree x 2
  20. LadyNighteyes

I posted too early.
    i complained too early.png

• Witnessed x 18
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice