What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

How Even???

• Agree x 6
  2. garden

garden lucid dreamer

:whybig:

• Agree x 9
  3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

My guess, based on experience:

"I want to post one-shots in a bunch of fandoms but I don't want to post them as their own works for whatever reason, I'll put them all in one fic and this DEFINITELY won't be the single most irritating way to handle it."

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 2
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Those were both in the Pokemon fandom tag (which is one of my go-tos when I feel like boggling at summaries/tags/fic of dubious quality), so it's also a magnet for basically every single megacrossover fic in existence.

• Informative x 4
  5. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

When your disagreement with the idea of sorting shit into useful categories is so powerful that it transcends your own work and must be hidden by the archive itself for the sake of everyone else. But damn, 127 fandoms seems like an unlikely amount for one author’s entire body of work, let alone one work, even if it is a large collection of one shots.

• Agree x 5
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Technically this was hidden by the AO3 Crossover Savior script, not AO3 itself, but yes. :::PPP

• Informative x 3
    • Useful x 2
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

So far I haven’t encountered such a fic in the wild. Perhaps I should consider accepting this plugin as my personal AO3 savior before rather than after.

8. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

hi have you read the Baba series because it will give you what you crave and a good dose of existential dread also

• Useful x 2
  9. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

oh wow i have not read that! i saw it while i was looking for 1am fluff after finishing s2 and went "too long" and then forgot about it, thank you for reminding me :DD

10. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Just remembering this ol fic I read that seemed so intent in pairing up characters in romance sort of relationships
    Now im a heavy shipper but it just felt like a game of putting characters together in this fic so that no one was without
    Felt a bit strange at the time, still feels a bit weird now? Nothing wrong with the fic in that aspect just felt, forced sometimes

• Witnessed x 8
  11. Morgan Jae

this doesn't necessarily belong in this thread but UPDATE: thank you VERY much, Baba was so good and was pretty much exactly what i wanted

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

titles that begin with the word ‘of’. particularly ‘of ____ and ____’. please stop.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

bad joke: obviously it's all steinbeck's fault

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
  14. Morgan Jae

mix n match this with the "smelled like x, y, and themself" format to produce a fic titled "of bergamot and smoke" wherein a character is described as smelling like mice, men, and a unique note all their own

• Winner x 19
  15. jacktrash

tbh i probably smell like wool, onions, and something indefinable thats at least half seebs.

• Winner x 8
  16. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

I am reading FrostIron and it is very hard to find good fic for it. Is it too much to ask for Tony/Loki snark without attendant bullshit such as Evil!Vengers being mean to Tony and/or Loki? And I wouldn't mind the abuse themes that pop up, but evil! Thor I can do without. Also, could we not throw Sigyn or Angrboda under the bus? I realize they're different characters if they appear at all in the comics, and they don't show up at all in the movies, but still.

All I want is a polycule and/or shovel speeches involving Sigyn and Angrboda. Is that too much to ask?

• Witnessed x 5
  17. prismaticvoid

@OtherCat you may have read it already but just in case, Off the Record will forever and always be my gold standard for Frostiron.
    (No Sigyn or Angrboda but does feature Enchantress and Doctor Doom, so hey)

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. prismaticvoid

Yes! Same author, very very good

20. jacktrash

i recall reading a very good one where loki spent a lot of time female and they had a kid who did some ill-advised time traveling, but i can't find it now. i don't specifically remember any jerkass behavior from other avengers, and tony gave odin one hell of a telling-off. does that ring a bell?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice