What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i honestly enjoy versus fics when they use both fandoms honestly. but hp seems especially rife with fics where the other fandom is just a cardbord standy.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  2. jacktrash

the name silentwalrus rings good bells in my head but i don't think i've read that one. i will go look for it. :D

i mean my fave crossover of all time is the bleach/hp one where ichigo is sent to bodyguard harry and just... doesn't care about hogwarts at all. can't do magic, doesn't try. can't fly on a broomstick, doesn't try. doesn't know shit about the wizarding world, doesn't care to know. but it's not that the author doesn't know hp canon. it's that the character of ichigo wouldn't give a shit unless cornered into it, because he's a damn delinquent and has tunnel vision about things in his own verse. and harry isn't reduced to a maguffin, he's understandably quite annoyed by this and tries to go about his business with this upsettingly violent muggleborn trailing him everywhere.

there's dumbledore-bashing, ofc, but it's really hard not to bash dumbledore, he's just so bashable.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 2
  3. jacktrash

i missed this post in my haste to complain about versus-fic fail.

night vale fandom. night vale fandom, stop. we can hear carlos's voice in canon -- in fact, that is literally all we get of him, because it's a radio show! and he sounds like your basic american nerd, maybe from california. he has no hint of a spanish-speaking accent whatsoever. but some people can't help themselves. his name is carlos, therefore he must speak like a recent mexican immigrant, with special fandom-bilingual sauce.

the voice actor sounds like distilled suburbia i swear to fuck i'm going to throw my lappy if i see this bullshit again ARGH

• Witnessed x 15
    • Agree x 2
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

well now there's at least one fic in this genre that I like. one chapter in and I'm hooked, thanks for the rec :D

• Winner x 1
  5. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

...I can't complain too hard about 'my canon can beat your canon' because I have reblogged every single 'Esme Weatherwax would kick this fandom's ass' and I don't think I'm likely to stop.

(Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread first, whoops)

• Like x 4
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

This really, really, really offends me when it is done to Latinos and Chicanos. Or anyone who could be vaguely construed as it. It's racist. It is pigeon holing us. It is not even done with an understanding of how the people who do pepper their English with Spanish do that or how codeswitching between languages in a conversation works. And it entirely ignores the existence of people like me who do not speak Spanish of which there are a lot or people who do speak Spanish but not have a hint of the accents people associate as being 'Mexican'. My fathers are both fluent Spanish speakers. Have been since childhood. Their English isn't accented in the way a lot of people expect it to be, though. And that's not even a case of 'we hide the accent in public' either. Like even in private they don't fucking have it.

But no we must all sound the same and the way we sound is someone who doesn't know how our chancla jokes work thinking they can make chancla jokes.

• Witnessed x 11
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Please stop having people who should know better rip IVs out of their arms, writers. Anybody who's had an IV for any length of time can tell you you can just disconnect the tube and leave the needly bit in and then your character can dramatically escape the hospital without spraying blood all over the countryside. Even gives you hurt/comfort fuel for later if/when they're able to stop to have it removed.

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Useful x 1
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

i want a fic. what kind? it's a secret my brain won't share

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 4
  9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Shit that bugs me: Edelgard being called an "empress". Her in-game title is uniformly "emperor" dammit.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I like this fic but it's very long and the author keeps using way too many epithets. Also: "Her husband's father-" you already have a word for that! "Father-in-law"!

• Witnessed x 7
  11. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

In the correct thread this time instead of fandom gripes:

It drives me a little nuts when tags and summaries are really coy about who’s on top even though it’s the premise. If it’s not that important to the story, I don’t need to know who is doing exactly what in the bedroom before I get to that part. But if it is important, like if the tags are telling me this is a d/s fic, then I do actually want to know who is in control. Omitting that information is not a blow against a heteronormative idea of sexuality, it’s just making it annoying for readers to get the most basic information. And if the story is actually about a heteronormative idea of sexuality, awesome, please indicate who will be doing what. Tags and summaries are rarely improved by trying to fit them to an ideal that conflicts with the content of the actual story. Please, just tell me what the story is about, or at least state clearly that you do not intend to tell me what the story is about.

• Witnessed x 6
    • Like x 2
  12. LadyNighteyes

I have a friend who never cared about topping order until they got into Yuri On Ice, and subsequently complained a lot about people not tagging that even in vanilla fic because it was the best indicator of whether or not they'd be getting Weepy Useless Woobie Yuuri Who Can't Do Anything Right And Is Very Sad About It.

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 1
  13. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I don’t generally care unless it’s specifically a bdsm fic, but a lot of my faves get written wildly out of character when they’re topping.

Or bottoming.

to be honest I just tend to stay away from fics based on dominance dynamics now unless they’re by an author I trust.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 3
  14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’ve found that to be a HUGE problem with Jaspis, the characterization thing. Especially since most of the time it’s Jasper domming, which seemingly ALWAYS results in a hideously OOC Lapis—she’s not a simpering waif ffs!

It’s gotten to the point where I pass by a lot of Jaspis fic that might otherwise interest me even though it’s a ship I really like, because it’s damn near impossible to find fic for that ship where Lapis behaves even a little bit like she does in the show. :/

EDIT: To be fair, with that specific ship it’s a huge issue in SFW fic too, but holy shit it’s REALLY bad with smut.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 2
  15. LadyNighteyes

did fandom forget that Lapis was the one doing the water chain bondage

• Agree x 11
    • Like x 1
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

THEY COMPLETELY DID FORGET. It makes me so fucking mad.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  17. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

...Huh. Now I'm wondering if that's something I should consider tagging in my stuff? I mean, I struggle to see anyone characterizing Jordi as a sub, but I realized that I generally prefer seeing a tag indicating tops/bottoms/doms/subs/alphas/omegas in fic, especially in the big fandoms. If I'm knee deep in SPN, it's the only way to find the fics I'm willing to give a first chance, for instance.

• Like x 2
  18. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

man this is a very minor thing
    but why can basically no one in the Magnus archives fandom work out timelines
    is it ageism? quite possibly

so many fanfics confuse me utterly cuz the timelines don't work out

• Witnessed x 5
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have any trouble guessing with Jordi. And the fandom is small enough that I’d both be more likely to recognize authors I like and also be willing to give new authors more of a chance even if I wasn’t entirely sure from the summary what dynamic to expect. I certainly wouldn’t say no to more tagging though, especially because I’d feel awfully silly doing that after venting about it. Twice. In the wrong thread the first time. I guess I really needed to get that off my chest? Or there’s some sort of sunk cost mentality with griping. Either way, I certainly do appreciate when that’s tagged, or clarified in the summary if the author feels the tags are getting unwieldy.

I can’t say I miss the old convention where whoever was listed first in the ship tag was understood to be on top. It rather lacked nuance and made it hard for a story to not suggest that there was some sort of power exchange happening. Even if characters were just cuddling as equals, which is a very strange phrase I just wrote there, someone’s name had to come first. It would give people certain expectations, then you’d have to put something to counter that in the summary, which is a little weird. There was some amount of friction between people who liked a ship with different dynamics. There probably still is. People don’t usually change that much across different storage and distribution solutions.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  20. jacktrash

in avengers fandom, i tend to avoid any fic that specifies a 'top' and 'bottom' outside a bsdm context (i'm not really interested in bsdm fics bc they all have humiliation which is legit triggering to me) because they all go hella ooc for some reason. especially the queer ships, but even like natasha/bucky gets ooc if top/bottom are specified. it's a curse.

edit: on reflection, i think it's because writers think your bedroom position is your hogwarts house. it defines your entire life.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice