What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

better things one can do than describe yoruichi like a dessert while soifon is a limp noodle: have soifon proudly and giddily show off the imperfect form of her suzumebachi to yoruichi. look yoruichi-sama. when i sting them with it twice in the same place they fall to the ground from immense pain like a hornet sting But Bigger. LOOK HOW I HAVE LEARNED TO BETTER HELP YOU.

• Winner x 4
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

She takes the butterfly-bee dichotomy very seriously.

• Agree x 1
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think this is a case of an author not being a visual thinker and not proofreading; if you've described a character pointing a gun at someone's head and that someone turns to look at them, the person with the gun being pointed at them should probably notice and react to the gun.

• Agree x 6
  4. Verily

That's the kind of thing I can imagine myself actually doing, because I have the situational awareness of pottery. But it's one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" things where it would be a wild story about the time I didn't even notice that the person was aiming a gun at my head. Always assuming they didn't successfully fire it, of course.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

*ventures back into Leverage fanfic*
    *runs into 16392 variations of Manic Pixie Dream Parker*
    *ventures back out again*

Why do they do my girl so dirty. :(

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 3
  6. Verily

Oh NO that is illegal and also wrong!

• Agree x 8
  7. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

One of those matters less than the other in Leverage, though.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. Verily

That’s why I mentioned both. :D

• Like x 3
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The fact that the anti who commented on my abuse-survivor-support-group fic is on the other side of an internet connection and can't see me, so when they said they wouldn't have read the fic if they had known what was in it, I can't actually slowly point to the entire screen-full of trigger tags.

• Witnessed x 14
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I don't really have a right to have high standards considering my summary-browsing is specifically seeking out fic of highly dubious quality to boggle at, but please, writers, learn what a comma splice is before you write your summaries.

• Agree x 3
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Can we not use "too skinny" as a supposed flaw for a character who works in the fashion industry, please? It's annoying at the best of times but in that context I think my irony meter melted.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

A thing a thousand times more obnoxious than when characters achieve unrealistic-within-their-context feats; when other characters fall all over themselves to praise a character for unrealistic feats, when what they actually did was completely mundane, and others within the story may in fact have achieved greater things. It creates a disconnect rather like TVTropes' description of "Obligatory Swearing", where it's pointed out that it's weird for fanfic characters to swear more strongly than they do in canon in situations less upsetting than they've already canonically been through. The case which set me into rage on this wasn't a fanfic but I know I've seen it in fanfics before.

• Witnessed x 4
  13. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

20200330_023003.jpg 20200330_023059.jpg

There are two kinds of authors.

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Verily

Inside you there are two authors,

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  15. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

not even i could manage the first one with just haiku so i am wondering how even

• Agree x 3
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Comics/art repository, maybe?

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

It's the one chapter that's 339 words, not the whole fic. A drabble or intermission of some sort?

the 63k chapter scares me, how long is that whole fic????

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 3
  18. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I admit I cheated a little with both options, the first fic is Snipers Solve 99 Percent of All Problems, (a Fullmetal Alchemist / Harry Potter crossover, it's been recommended a few times here) and updates are usually closer to about 3000 words long, but I prefer meatier chapters and the specific example above annoyed me.

The second example is from Of Queens, Knights, and Pawns. It is seven hundred thousand words long. Chapters are usually closer to 25k which is still. A lot.

(Also while I'm here I recommend Queens/Knights/Pawns if you have an absolutely collosal amount of free time. The basic premise is that immediately after The Force Awakens, Leia Organa goes back in time and wakes up as her teenage self on the Death Star right before Vader interrogated her. She immediately tells the timeline to go fuck itself)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    • Winner x 5
    • Agree x 1
  19. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

(psst, neither of those linked lead where you intended them to lead)

((i am absolutely looking up that starwars fic tho :eyes emoji:))

• Useful x 1
  20. garden

garden lucid dreamer

<1k word chapters in a chaptered fic (assuming it’s not an intermission or accompanying comic/art or what have you) bug me; <500 word chapters really bug me

• Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice