What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

In HS it might indeed be a person, if yellowbloods are used for more than ship engines, but they'd have motive to keep it quiet.

• Agree x 1
  2. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Current gripe: giving all the characters weird nicknames. I am specifically coming for the My Hero Academia chatfic where there's already thirty goddamn characters, do you know how long it took me to learn all their regular names? And Hero names? And now I have to know all of the clever Discord/Twitter nicknames that you change each chapter?

Also a specific shout out to that one big FMA/Harry Potter crossover, because while it is very in character for Edward Elric to not learn anyone's names, and the specific ways that the translation magic works with proper nouns is fun, I find it astonishingly hard to read!!!

• Witnessed x 14
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

This baffles me more than anything, but why do people post blank works that are nothing but tags and "Coming soon"? All you're doing is reducing your fic's profile if you ever actually write it, because when you edit the first chapter in the post date is going to be when you made your placeholder, so it won't turn up at the top of the search.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Agree x 11
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Theorists complaining that trolls don't make sense as either mammals or insects. Well, duh, because they AREN'T either mammals or insects! They're aliens, from a completely different taxonomic system, which just happen to have some traits similar to mammals and insects! They aren't supposed to actually be either!

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

you ever have that one fic writer who's like your own personal esama?

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  6. YggiDee

In the 'never finishes any of their fourty amazing ideas' sense? Because I think I have several, and also Esama. I don't think anyone does it to such a degree, but a few of them have this habit of dropping all their WIPs like a hot potato whenever they find a new fandom. And then there's the one guy who abandons his unfinished stories so they don't even show up under his account any more. I was reading that one, come on!

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 3
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I am that writer.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

There are writers where I just straight up don't start reading their unfinished fics, to save myself the yearning

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

The flip side is "I usually don't read WIPs but this writer basically never finishes anything and they're so good I'm fucking furious"

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 4
  10. YggiDee

Yeah, I think Esama comes up so often because even their unfinished shit is so good.

• Agree x 5
  11. swirlingflight

That is absolutely the reason I reference Esama for this, I've been burned more than a couple times. I think I have a couple fics privately bookmarked with notes like "stop reading at [This point] to avoid the cliffhanger"

• Witnessed x 8
  12. LadyNighteyes

A third-hand badfic gem:
    Per the person who posted it to FFA: "So I guess this is what the woke version of "Let's try the kanji" looks like."

• Witnessed x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I’m laughing my ass off. But asking about pronouns in Japanese doesn’t make any sense anyway.

• Agree x 5
  14. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

[spits]

THE FACT THAT ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A PARODY IS SO UNFORTUNATE, BECAUSE THAT IS FUCKING HILARIOUS?

• Agree x 6
  15. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Also, I had to read it like three times before I accepted that it's probably talking about a literal wooden pole.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  16. LadyNighteyes

so I've complained a few times about AO3's character tag piping, but I just went into the Greek mythology fandom tag and:
    oh no.png
    κεικακυ means plan

• Witnessed x 11
  17. fowlJ

fowlJ Member

I started looking at Pokemon fics recently after finishing Pokemon Moon and there's one in the same category with those, yeah:
    [​IMG]
    Besides the fact that, obviously, Lillie's name is the same in English and in Japanese, that first one is also not... right? It's a incorrect transliteration of her name written in Japanese.

• Witnessed x 5
  18. swirlingflight

Huh. Is it a thing of people trying to consolidate the different spellings into one tag, but also show the different spelling simultaneously?

• Agree x 2
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Another day, another dumb character name tag in a Japanese fandom on Ao3.

also, speaking of stuff from asia, i hate the way names for characters are tagged in things like the untamed on ao3. time to make our tags a pain to type OH YEAH.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

They’re also difficult to get search results for or read. I have many times had to skip down to the summary to try to figure out who is in this fic, and with whom, because my brain cried mercy on processing the enormous block of piped character names and courtesy names. The pipe stands out more than the actual slash. Heaven help you if you have an OT3.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice