What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I'm actually very nervous about writing already-existing characters. Worried I'll fuck it up. That's why a lot of my old fics were OC-centric with mention of original cast.

A friend asked me to roleplay Amy the Hedgehog one time and i had a mild panic. Not an attack, really. Just a minute or two of 'No".

Might be why what got me into testing the waters with original cast stuff were zombie novels. They had pretty shallow characterization to begin with.

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I keep googling Naruto characters because there's two hundred of the fuckers and I can't keep them all straight, but now people are making wikis for their OCs and fangames and now I no longer have any idea what the fuck is canon.

Then I was reading a Bleach fic and googled what I thought was a canon Bleach character and the first result was a Naruto wiki.

The issue was apparently that I was using a fanon name but really, the first result???

• Witnessed x 6
    • Useful x 1
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Hollow Ichigo's name is weird in that he is technically The Hollow Inside Ichigo. But as Ichigo's satori moment at the end of the comic shows, Hollow Ichigo is Zangetsu. Old Man Zangetsu is also Zangetsu, even if he claims that he is not Zangetsu and is actually Yhwach. Which, yes, he is Yhwach but he is still Zangetsu. The sword is also Zangetsu.

Ichigo is the sword and the sword is Ichigo.

So he is also Zangetsu.

It's a Zen Buddhism thing.

I didn't get the Naruto fanwiki in my results at all but then like I check chapter numbers for things via the Bleach wiki a lot. So my search results are likely prioritizing the fuck out of Bleach.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    • Informative x 6
    • Agree x 1
  4. YggiDee

I've only seen a few episodes of Bleach but it has a lot of crossovers with Naruto and Harry Potter so I dip into the fics sometimes. So this might be me playing myself.

• Like x 2
  5. Aondeug

Ahhhhh. SEARCH RESULT PERSONALIZATION. You may be striking again.

i had no idea that there was a naruto fan character named zangetsu. given the situation in bleach with that name this is like kind of funny to me. i'm zangetsu, he's zangetsu, you're zangetsu. are there anymore zangetsu i should know about?

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. YggiDee

It's not a fan-character named Zangetsu so much as the Naruto fan wiki just has Hollow Ichigo in it. From Bleach.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Informative x 2
  7. Aondeug

that is baffling to me

• Agree x 2
  8. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

what why

are crossovers just that insanely common????? :psyduck:

• Agree x 4
  9. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Same fic series, time travel has become involved and im feeling picky about like, the lack of explanation for how ppl know things like what a car is? Or how you want me to believe a 15th century himbo is texting fluently and using smileys

and a case of "i dont know how children talk"

Was still enjoyable but dang i wanted some different things out of this fic

• Witnessed x 8
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Way late but as an American Protestant, as far as I know we don’t have abbeys, or any sisters and brothers? My pastors across multiple denominations have all been married. Well, one was divorced. Maybe there are some Protestant denominations that have these things? But that sounds Catholic to me?

• Agree x 1
  11. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it’s Americans writing this, if maybe they’re conflating European religions that have highly organized elements resembling Catholicism into a single notion of a socially restrictive historical European religion that’s all an idea of Catholicism.

• Agree x 5
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The books in question are in a fantasy world where the closest time period analogue is way before Protestantism existed.

• Informative x 3
  13. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

The fantasy books in question are also about woodland animals, which, as far as I know, don't have particularly restrictive sexual norms either x'D

• Agree x 6
  14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

slutshaming women is wrong
    slutshaming woodland animals is totally fine
    tumblr logic

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  15. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I have no idea why this came to mind, but I suddenly remembered this Harry Potter fic where Draco Malfoy was admonishing Harry Potter for eating so many trans fats at breakfast in the Great Hall, and I boggled all over again because there's just. So many layers to that.

Trans fats are very rare in nature. I won't get into the chemistry, but basically, they're mostly created by chemically processing vegetable oils because people wanted a fat that's solid at room temperature. Margarine, e.g., was created as a butter substitute to make up wartime food shortages. US processed food is full of them because soybean farming is subsidized to a downright absurd degree by the government, so soybean oil is really really cheap, so ~partially hydrogenated soybean oil~ is usually the most cost-efficient option when your supermarket muffins or Cheez-its or whatever need a solid, shelf-stable fat in the recipe. They became a health food bugbear and started being regulated in the mid-2000s after a big study linked them to heart disease, but before that, the big Fat Type Scare was saturated fat (mostly animal fat) vs. unsaturated fat (mostly vegetable fat), and trans fats are in the latter group. My mom has a low-fat cookbook published in like 1997 that has asides all through it about how margarine is much healthier than butter.

Therefore, we have:
    1. someone in a country where trans fats are much less universal than in the US because Europe doesn't have gigantic soy subsidies
    2. in a school with a massive onsite kitchen staff who cook everything from scratch and will not be serving processed food designed to be cheap and shelf-stable
    3. run by Harry Potter wizards, many of whom don't know how Muggle money works and thus probably have food supply lines that don't involve anyone who has ever even heard the word "hydrogenated" at any step in the process
    4. 10 years before anyone who wasn't a nutrition researcher had any idea trans fats were anything but "like butter, but healthier"
    5. who definitely wouldn't know anyway because he's Draco Malfoy and I cannot overstate how little I believe that Draco Malfoy would be following Muggle nutrition science news and diet fads
    6. complaining about a chronically malnourished kid eating lots of food that would not contain a chemical that he would not know exists.
    I know dunking on Harry Potter wizards is low-hanging fruit but like. Would Malfoy even know what a vitamin is.

• Agree x 10
    • Winner x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

idk it is hilarious to me to imagine that the only
    part of muggle culture that has seeped into pure blood circles is fad dieting

• Agree x 8
    • Winner x 8
  17. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Or it's Malfoy's shameful secret vice. He has a stack of back issues of Prevention that he ordered Dobby to steal from Muggle supermarkets hidden under his mattress and every anti-theft hex he could think of. He reads them in the bathroom at midnight with his wand pointed at the door to Obliviate anyone who catches him.

• Winner x 10
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I mean, if wizards shitting on the floor can be official Harry Potter canon...

• Agree x 5
  19. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

i can't imagine they dont know what vitamins are, they do have doctors, even if we mostly heard about them treating magical illnesses/wounds. but trans fats being a widely-used thing within the wizarding world does sound unlikely, unless they are a lazy bastard who uses Crisco in their pie crust like i am.

curious to know what wizards have created in terms of junk food, dubious additives, etc. i mean, if in the early nuclear age we thought radiation might be good for people, imagine the weird shit wizards got up to.

• Agree x 9
  20. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I’m getting flashbacks to that tamora pierce book where someone tried to make a dieting potion and it got into the water supply and caused a plague

• Winner x 7
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice