What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]
    :(

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 3
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

taking all Hollow Knight longfic authors gently by the hand and leading them to a wonderful land where they can learn what pacing is

• Witnessed x 7
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

What, beyond the Hallownest?

(The joke being: they won't learn it in-game, given the two paces are "long back and forth explorations" and "oh gods reflex testing time")

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

you may be on to something there lol

• Like x 2
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Me to my sibling, anguished and aggrieved: "I CAN'T READ THE FANFICTION BECAUSE I KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT US ELECTORAL POLITICS."

• Witnessed x 15
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Incidentally, I didn't mean, like, "oh the author doesn't know this would be a disaster because X implies Y and Z facts that they don't know about."

I meant "you are describing my day job and you are describing it wrong."

• Witnessed x 12
  7. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

if youre going to write a fic about a post civil war old west au you had better do better than tormenting me by making my favorite character incorrectly an unrepetant confederate soldier

please, i know hes southern, but that doesnt mean that would actually track with his character.

• Witnessed x 13
    • Agree x 2
  8. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Why must a character be written as morally ambiguous for them to be deemed a badass?? I am tired of ooc midoriya Izuku suddely taking a turn for the grey or worse because the author thinks that this makes him cooler. It does not. Sure, I can see a particularly talented author writing him descend into villainy, but it would need *character development*. Not a switch being flipped and suddenly he's cool with AfO.

This is similar to my opinions on Sith!Obi-Wan Kenobi, incidentally.

Edit: in case it is not clear, i do mean that a character with morals and principals can be just as cool - nay, cooler - than their morally ambiguous counterpart. It's all a matter of perspective. And open mindedness.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

I don't know what's with this, it's never fully made sense to me. I like dark heroes, and I've written a few Bad People Stories, but... I also like heroes.

I think it has to do with morals - of any kind - being viewed as a restriction on the power fantasy? Gods bound by rules.
    I have... admittedly, made some heroic characters a bit darker myself, but usually as part of ... a general AU that makes the setting darker, with me trying to keep them the same level of moral but not. Absurd.

In other news, Nanoha My Beloved.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Hollow Knight fandom: hmm, I know that in canon all higher beings are shown to be unreliable at best and exploitative and evil at worst, but you know who I think would be the exception to that rule? the guy literally called the fucking Nightmare King. now I shall craft an epic about how all his mentally ensnared nightmare thralls are actually rescued abuse victims and he goes around making bugs who have nightmares feel better

...not that the writing is always bad or anything, but I feel like 90% of the fandom wilfully ignores a lot of the stuff about Grimm and also Misses The Point about how higher beings and gods kind of universally suck

• Witnessed x 6
  11. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I. I only know HK via osmosis but my impression of the Nightmare King is big cult leader vibes. how is this the man getting heroized besides yknow the time honored tradition of stanning villains

12. swirlingflight

Tall thin male optional boss with a transformation that changes his color palette, nightmares (fear is sexy) and flame (fire is hot), cyclical health issues (pulls a certain kind of sympathy) and a child he asks us to look after (another kind of sympathy), and being praised and flattered and insulted by a cult leader in a very attentive way draws another kind of fascination.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

also he calls your boss fight with him a "passionate dance"

I'm guessing most people don't go for the ending of his quest where you
    banish him and his troupe, in which one of his followers gives you a bit more info about him and his effect on both his followers and the places he visits. if you only talk to him he's quite charming in a sinister vampire circus way

• Agree x 2
  14. swirlingflight

I haven't seen it, but can infer some things from some fics I've read

• Like x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

3.07% of hollow knight fics on ao3 are tagged with Zote the Mighty (a Knight of Great Renown. btw. if you even care)

this is kind of a gripe, since he is my favorite character, but mostly I think it's hilarious that he's one of the few NPCs who is confirmed to be totally OK and surviving and uninfected no matter what (as long as you don't abandon him), has the most lines of dialogue out of every character in the game, and yet 97% of the fandom has unanimously decided to pretend he doesn't exist. truly the character of all time.

technically I think this also means that in 97% of fanfics the Knight saw some random dude being eaten by a vengefly and went full Not my circus, Not my monkeys XD

• Like x 4
    • Witnessed x 3
  16. Jean

Thinking about this, and it seems to me that making your corporation smooth like a ken doll is also making an effort. Therefore it cannot be the default state. This could be a cool detail to include in order to tell your readers about your character's priorities, but sadly is generally not treated this way.

• Agree x 1
  17. Jean

Summary: "What if there were a..." *describes their ideal fic*.

Sigh. I don't know, author. What if there were? It's not like you're writing one or anything.

The worst is when the "summary" is not actually about a fic they are writing, but a prompt they are attempting to give.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
    • Witnessed x 4
  18. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Listen, okay, your new party member has come down with a ~mystery illness~ and it's so bad that you fear he's dying and he's puking up everything he eats and he's cold all the time and it gets so bad that one of you put him into a magical coma until you can find a better healer than the one you already have, and, like, everyone in this group is a perfectly intelligent adult, and you've chained him up against his will for reasons that elude me.

and in the week or so this takes place in nobody has ever checked his fucking pulse??? It's a basic medical check that everyone on this team should know how to do.

I have a pretty good Suspension of Disbelief for "somehow nobody knows Astarion is a vampire yet" but this one felt. bad.

• Witnessed x 10
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I know they're a blank slate rpg protagonist made for self-inserts but they still would not fucking say that. if the word queerplatonic was ever invented in the fallout universe I will eat, maybe not a shoe, but at least half a sock

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 1
  20. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Why is this man worried about drowning? He is a vampire who doesn't need to breathe. I think a lot of BG3 writers need to go remind themselves what "undead" entails. I get that Vampire is a pretty broad category that varies wildly amongst folklore and canons and fanons but that's like one of three things everyone agrees on. 1) Blood Drinky 2) No Pulse/Breathing 3) Sun Bad. come on!

• Witnessed x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice