What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thank mew!

2. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

My current fan fic gripe is there isn't enough God Eaters fan fic. Where is my epic recovery/making a life for themselves/possibly going to war against the Guvmint long fic dammit?

• Like x 6
  3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yep, it was that one. I knew the title was [some shade of red] and Bible Black but I couldn't remember for sure. And was on phone.

• Like x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Fanfic gripe; when there is none for stuff I like. I would kill for Spellsinger fanfic and the only time I've seen it was a throwaway line of completely fucking random crossover in something else. One of my best dreams in recent years was Garry Kilworth having a thriving AO3 section. My special interest fandom is pretty much dead.

• Like x 5
  5. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

Maybe I just don't understand ao3 well enough, but why do some people use 'no archive warnings apply' and some of the archive warnings on the same fic? Which of those statements is true? I guess the contradiction happens if they add tags as they go, but why not take out the ones that don't work instead?

It just seems sloppy.

• Like x 6
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I've done that for short fic collections posted as one entry where warnings apply to some of the fics but not to others.

• Like x 2
  7. OtherCat

But what if it's in an au, and you arent' sure that it isn't wildly different from canon? (I may have done this in my fic writing, for lo, in Chrono Crusade, "Legion" is the equivalent of "cells" in demons. Except the demons are actually Ancient Aliens and all of their tech is essentially Legion. And therefore to me Legion=nanotech, though this is not precisely canon and most people think Legion=biotech. Which I don't agree with because reasons.)

• Like x 2
  8. OtherCat

I have had this happen with series. Where one story was "no archive warnings apply" and that fit for one story, but was added for the entire series. :\

• Like x 2
  9. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

On a drabble collection or a series, it's not so bad, but on a single fic it feels weird, which is where I usually see it.

• Like x 1
  10. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

if it's an au it isn't really a problem
    I mean like
    everything else is canon complaint exactly. the author insists it isn't an au. nothing is tagged as being different.

• Like x 1
  11. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Maybe it's that the author wanted to warn for one thing, and knew that another warning (say, major character death) applied, but felt that warning for the second thing would spoil the work?

• Like x 4
  12. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

Transformers is weird. It's so old that there's a bunch of fanfic for pairings that barely have any basis in canon, but exist because of other popular fanfics written about them in the past. That's no really a complaint, but some of the more obvious pairings have next to zero fanfic, especially in the transformers animated side of AO3. (where is all the Lugnut/Blitzwing? The hell?). MTMTE is pretty well covered, but the eyebrow raising moments in Transformers Prime are underrepresented.

tl:dr; Why is there only two decent fics about that time Knockout (bad guy) got stuck in a wall? If sometimes like that happened in homestuck, it would have had its own sub genre.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like x 8
  13. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I think some people get confused by the archive warnings thing, or start a story thinking no archive warnings will apply and then need to change it, but don't change it correctly.

• Like x 4
  14. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Yep. Scarlet and Bible Black is actually, I think, where I first went "holy crap, Rose and Sollux make a really good pairing, is there any more of this - shit, there's hardly any". (It's like people don't remember that trolls have four quadrants and, thus, you can have your Rosemary and your...shit, we need a good name for Rose/Sollux. 'eldritch bees'?)

• Like x 10
  15. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

God, there's a pun on wasps in there somewhere, I just know it.

• Like x 2
  16. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

is griping about own fanfiction allowed, because. woo nelly. i'm proofreading something i wrote AAAGES ago and, uh
    somehow neither me nor my beta at the time noticed i emphasized a character not speaking a language and needing to learn it, and then having an extended conversation with someone who was speaking in that language. and only the first character had any sort of translation thing going on.

god damn it. glad i decided not to post the damn thing yet

• Like x 3
  17. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

If we're gonna complain about our own old fics first I need to know if Kintsugi has a character limit for posts.

• Like x 8
  18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

It's shorter than the entire script of Bee Movie, apparently.

• Like x 13
  19. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

The limit is 20,000 characters.

• Like x 4
  20. OtherCat

Complaint about my own fic: I did not do a very good job of editing The One Who Sees, which was a Lindsey/Xander fic. My beta/cowriter at the time is a much better beta that it would seem from the mistakes we/I made and the references I failed to make note of. I also failed to make it clear that Lindsey was not an instantly cured by love alcoholic but was in fact self medicating because visions. (I was accused of doing instant cure by love by a community/site on lj called epic rants. My approach to romance was likewise torn apart and I was accused of writing like "Mills and Boone" author. )

I would like to extend my gripe to most of my BTVS fic. Which I am reluctant to re-read because my early work makes me sad. (Though not sad enough to take it down.)

Complaint two: I wish I were better at finishing fics. And better at doing action. And better at doing non-action that is still plot-important.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice