What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

This probably isn't as valid as my brain says, or else I'm not expressing it well, but I keep thinking that species boundaries need to be taken into account more. For example, I'm pretty sure goblins should find elves as physically repulsive as the elves find the goblins, or else the goblins would never reproduce with other goblins, same with lizards and mammals. This mostly crops up in rapefics and I'm aware rape isn't about attraction, but the attitudes and dialogue depicted in fics often imply it is, which is its own problem but is especially annoying here. Doesn't really apply to anything in the real world because humans considered unattractive by the standards of another human culture are still humans. This especially doesn't work for me when one species is supposed to eat the other; even if they're sapient I feel it'd hit the bestiality squick button.

• Like x 3
  2. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Do. Goblins eat elves?

3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Even if they wouldn't think of another species as gross and ugly, they probably wouldn't think of their own as gross and ugly. And I've seen that crop up before, albeit more in original fiction than fanfic. Usually in narration description in third-person limited by an author who doesn't seem to recognize that using third-person limited means that what the narrative chooses to say and focus on reflects on the viewpoint character.

• Like x 8
  4. LadyNighteyes

In Dwarf Fortress, elves eat goblins, but I doubt that's what Chel had in mind. :::PPP

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Like x 2
  5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

(Merry Gentry remains a fantastic series which actually does approach this a little, and I really liked that aspect of the goblins in it.)

6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I was thinking of movieverse Hobbit, and the same issue crops up with furries.

7. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

It could make some sense if the "pretty" ones are rulers and the "ugly" ones have internalized their oppressors' standards of beauty?

• Like x 2
  8. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

Okay so it's been griped before but it can stand being griped about again. Romance fics where the major conflict is because NO ONE IS USING THEIR WORDS so they misunderstand things and bitch at each other and stalk out of the fucking house.

I am only reading because this is the first fic I've seen in the Voltron fandom where it's a romance with one of the characters being asexual--and kinky. (It's a Klance. Keith has a thing for bloodplay and is the asexual person in question, he meets Lance who is a camboy who specializes in bloodplay.) Though even that may cause me to rage quit because again, NO ONE IS USING THEIR WORDS.

• Like x 14
  9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

In the middle of reading a short fic about sleepy drunken cuddling, which I am 100% down for. It would have been perfect if not for... "silverette." (ETA: AND "PINKETTE" TOO ADOIJAWIOJSKL)

• Like x 15
  10. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Movieverse legendarium is why I gave up on Tolkien fics entirely a long time ago. I don't care for many of the trends in it and I'm more into the book characterizations anyway. This makes me sad because while I love and adore the horrible academic side of the fandom they don't like...

Go out and write fanfictions.

;-;

i just want to find like a fic that is an in-universe paper about the existence of lesbians in elvish society or something. like it's about the words they use and the evolution of those words. and also its gay.

• Like x 9
  11. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

YES. Crapsack City, population: serial killers? Tell me moar! I have a fluff allergy, though I won't deny that I sometimes enjoy sticking my face in it anyway.

• Like x 3
  12. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

If you absolutely must phonetically write out an accent for whatever reason, fucking research the accent in question. What part of "yər" should be represented as "ya're" in northern Appalachian what is this bullshit. If you couldn't be assed to look up even a southern Appalachian reference (bc "southern US accent" is much easier to find than, say, "Ohioan") why are you even trying? "Ya're" just parses as like. Yarr. We're pirates now I guess???

• Like x 13
  13. LadyNighteyes

Man, this buried treasure is a lot less glamorous than I thought it would be.
    WCA_Bowie_Skyline_01-211-hpr.jpg

• Like x 14
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure nipples don't work like penises.

• Like x 12
  15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

What about shitting dick nipples?

• Like x 8
  16. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Well, they don't work like shitting dick peni-- Oh, wait, I think they kinda do.

• Like x 3
  17. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

... is this kingdom hearts? (first fandom that came to mind with both silver and pink haired characters)

18. garden

garden lucid dreamer

haha, no - it was super dangan ronpa 2, actually (with "silverette" and "pinkette" being pekoyama and souda respectively >.>)

• Like x 1
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I'm pretty sure the fanfic you are looking for is Sansûkh by Determamfidd.

• Like x 1
  20. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I am absolutely terrified by the mention of the movies because I do not want movieverse fic. At all. I mean language on the one hand but those movies...

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice