What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Not so much a fanfiction gripe as a my-stupid-brain gripe; I keep reading "quaking" as "quacking."

(Waaait, leaves don't quack!)

(why is the protagonist's body making duck noises.)

• Like x 18
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

American writers throwing American animals into a British setting, or having characters in a medieval British setting be familiar with American species.

• Like x 9
  3. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Sidenote: I wish "canon typical shipping" was an actively used tag the way "canon typical violence" is. Because a lot of canons have a low-key Obligate Het Ship, and when that's tagged in fic I never know if it's intended to be "this is tagged ebcause they're together in canon" or "this is a shippy fic focused on [ship]."

• Like x 10
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm looking at you, Professor Tolkien.
    potatoes.gif

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like x 10
  5. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I don't get it

6. Starcrossedsky

Potatoes aren't native to Europe.

7. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Potatoes are native to the Americas, as are tomatoes (those are the two I see most often transplanted to places they shouldn't belong). Putting them in a fantasy world like middle earth is less of a writing fail (edit: womp womp, I don't know lotr as well I ought, apparently it is supposed to be past Europe), but if you're writing about medieval England and your farmers are growing potatoes on their farms, that's not the way history would have actually worked.

• Like x 3
  8. LadyNighteyes

And Middle Earth is explicitly Fantasy Past Earth (specifically Europe).

• Like x 1
  9. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

Um
    Elves? Dragons? Angels?
    I understand breaks in reality but I'm confused.
    Unless it's funny. In which case wow that's an impressive research messup considering all the worldbuilding.
    In which case hi autism brain I guess.

10. Starcrossedsky

Corn's a pretty common one too.

11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

12. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

It's more like it's a tiny little mistake that should have been easy to head off with a little research, but it's such a little detail that the authors who mess it up don't tend to realize that it needed research in the first place. When I was in Ireland, pretty much all the tomatoes I bought were grown in Holland, and potatoes are The Archetypical Irish Food, but that all is a pretty recent development history-wise. If you have the background to know that it's wrong, it's a little detail that can throw you out of the story in an 'aw, come on' way.

Or like, my grandparents took me to a medieval dinner thing where it was in an old castle, period clothing, period music, period food. But when they brought out the soup, my grandpa asked what was wrong with this picture. I caught that tomatoes were a new world crop, but he also gave me a brief history of utensil use in Europe (tl;dr, spoons and forks were out there, but weren't in common use in Europe until roughly the 1600s). So if your medieval peasants are eating their soup with spoons, it's a harmless detail, but if you have the right background, it's gratingly wrong.

• Like x 11
  13. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Though worth remembering it's only in the US that "Corn" exclusively refers to the maize family. Thus you can see references to corn in historical English things, but there it's a reference to grains in general.

• Like x 10
  14. LadyNighteyes

I actually just went on a rant the other day about a similar utensil-research fail in Fate/Stay Night. There's a bit where Saber says she prefers chopsticks to a fork and spoon. Saber is
    King Arthur.
    She has probably never even seen a fork in her life. (I declared my headcanon to be that she just said that to preserve her "foreign tourist" cover, and maybe if she tells the Japanese people she's eating with that she likes their weird new utensils more than this other weird utensil she was summoned knowing about, they'll like her better? :::PPP )

But if they mention ears of corn, that's a problem.

• Like x 5
  15. Morven

Not so: wheat can be described so. "Ear of wheat" referring to a single straw's worth.

• Like x 5
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Buttered popcorn is right out though.

• Like x 9
  17. Morven

18. LadyNighteyes

To be fair, I think the only time I've seen popcorn in medieval-ish fiction was "banged grains" in Discworld and Discworld doesn't count. :::PPP

• Like x 9
  19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Consider the following theory re: potatoes in Middle Earth: Gandalf gave them to the hobbits after one of his trips back and forth.

• Like x 11
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Or cases where the animal has reason to be there, but the characters don't have reason to know what it is. There's an actual case of this in real life; there's a town in England which was allegedly terrorised by a dragon, but the lord had a menagerie, and the stained glass window commemorating it depicts what is very obviously a crocodile. Point being, yeah, there may be an invasion of foreign reptiles going on, but when you have a character who's lived all his life in a setting which mashes together periods from Celtic to medieval with emphasis on the Viking invasions and a splash of 1940s military but all of those periods are obviously from British history, he's not going to be able to comment on the difference between a milk snake and a coral snake. And since it's Redwall and he's a rat, he should also probably be running away from a milk snake.

• Like x 10
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice