What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

okay it would be a really cool story to have this one character that can actually divine the author's intentions— or read ahead in the manuscript— so the author irritatedly keeps changing the plot up, because otherwise this jackass character would solve everything in two pages, and then the author wouldn't have a book to give their publisher, and they wouldn't get paid, did you think of that character? NO YOU DID NOT. and the character is like 'listen, i'm trying to solve this murder case, i don't care about your fucking minimum word counts.'

• Like x 35
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Actually that sounds like it might be interesting in some sort of meta hellwork. Somebody do that.

• Like x 11
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I am now imagining a superhero group type situation with characters who have meta powers. The Plot medium. The one who can make objects they need not only exist, but always have existed. etc.

• Like x 8
  4. Aondeug

A plot medium attempting to subvert their own romantic subplot.

• Like x 10
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

A plot medium Suceeding at it. (Because 90% of romantic subplots can go die in a fire)

• Like x 4
  6. Aondeug

The plot medium tragically ending up in a different romantic subplot but like an actually well written one.

i love romance so much

but so much of it is shit

and on that note

why is so much romance fic shit

• Like x 8
  7. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I love all of these suggestions and would like to give my blessings, how do I contribute to funding this
    [j/k I'm broke af and can't fund myself a mcdonals meal]

• Like x 3
  8. Aondeug

...honestly that might even be really fun from like a meta-perspective. Like I've definitely written things before where what I intended just kind of died out because the characters seemed to have some sort of other preference. Shit just happens when you write.

• Like x 5
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Gripe related to recent discourse; fics in which supposed heroes randomly kill people messily when in canon they went out of their way to not do that and that was part of why they were the heroes and not the villains.

• Like x 17
  10. shmeed

shmeed plant me

yes this so much
    also this is why i have Trouble with a lot of MCU movies
    like captain america will go out of his way to not kill any narratively relevant characters. give a speech about how he can't even kill red skull. and in the very next scene he and his friends will throw seven nameless, faceless Bad Guys into an exploding truck
    (i consider the MCU as sort of canonized fanfic. canon-sanctioned, universe-accepted, still fanfic.)

• Like x 14
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

captain america attempts an undertale pacifist run

captain america then fails the pacifist run 'cause he doesn't know what No Killing actually means

• Like x 15
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Or Season 2 of Daredevil being like "oh no I won't kill people~" like. Matt. Please get a grip about the amount of GBH you cause. One thing I liked so much about S1 is that it didn't shy away from how brutal what you did was.

• Like x 9
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I guess it's preferable to supposed heroes assuming that the appropriate response to hearing someone be tortured to death is to start having sex.

• Like x 9
  14. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

matt a blow to the head hard enough to KO someone is enough to, if they're absurdly lucky, give them major brain trauma issues for the rest of their lives. otherwise they die.

• Like x 10
  15. LadyNighteyes

I saw some jokes about how all the ER doctors don't want to crush his dreams, so they let him think all those TBIs had no permanent negative effects. :::PPP

• Like x 7
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that in the PPC the head-strike to knock out a victim has a reasonable explanation as to why it doesn't cause damage; canon characters can't die until their original authors say they have, to the point that Thranduil survived beheading.

• Like x 11
  17. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

There's another explanation that overlaps with this one, and it's the same one as to why repeated neuralizing doesn't cause brain issues: the canon snaps back once all extracanonical influence has been removed, so, it literally didn't happen.

• Like x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

And in some canons people get nonlethally knocked out so often that maybe the laws of biology work differently there anyway. :::PPP
    #take a shot every time Tolkien ends a scene he doesn't want to write the rest of by having a Hobbit pass out

• Like x 9
  19. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

This is why Jame can live such a slapstick-disaster life without permanent brain damage. Seriously, as often as she knocks herself unconscious or someone else does ... helps that her species has advanced self-healing abilities.

• Like x 5
  20. Aondeug

dwar sleep fixes all

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice